Wise Words:

Old July 12th 07, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony B

Default Wise Words:

Taken from somewhere else:

Mechanical disc brakes a
a: A little heavier
b: No better than good V brakes (but a little better than cantilevers, and
significantly better than dual pivot calipers).
c: More prone to damage (oh look, I've just bent the rotor)
d: Attract theft
e: More expensive

hth,

see you tomorrow!

Old July 12th 07, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony B

Ace wrote:

Do we assume that by 'mechanical' you mean cable-operated? Hydraulic
ones offer many advantages.

oops... was not intended to go back to urc!! Thanks to Mr Raven though
for helping my mate understand why he should spend his money on other
things.

I'm in mid-process of trying to persuade a friend of mine to NOT buy a
BSO, hopefully he will end up with something that will actually be fit
for purpose (although I'm not sure he's quite defined his "purpose"
properly yet).

Apologies for bothering the group.

Old July 12th 07, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Tony B said the following on 12/07/2007 13:32:

oops... was not intended to go back to urc!! Thanks to Mr Raven though
for helping my mate understand why he should spend his money on other
things.

You forgot to mention the advantages of disc brakes, including cable
operated.

a: They won't be affected by a bent wheel. It's far easier to bend a
wheel than a rotor.
b: Even if you do bend a rotor, it can just be bent back.
c: They will still work even when covered in mud and water.
d: Being further from the ground the braking surface is less likely to
get covered in mud/water anyway.
e: Easier to maintain.

Hope this helps ;-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 12th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_2_]

oops... was not intended to go back to urc!! Thanks to Mr Raven though
for helping my mate understand why he should spend his money on other
things.

Oi!

Mark.
Old July 12th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony B

Mark wrote:

Oi!

ah. that'll be another apology then... sorry Mark. Still, wise words
nevertheless - ta very much!

Old July 12th 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Ace
') wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:17:05 +0100, Tony B
wrote:

Taken from somewhere else:

Mechanical disc brakes a
a: A little heavier
b: No better than good V brakes (but a little better than cantilevers,
and significantly better than dual pivot calipers).
c: More prone to damage (oh look, I've just bent the rotor)
d: Attract theft
e: More expensive

Do we assume that by 'mechanical' you mean cable-operated? Hydraulic
ones offer many advantages.

Some advantages: chiefly, better feel and better modulation. Still suffer
from problems a, c, d and e. And yes, I have - and regularly use -
hydraulic disks, V brakes and dual pivot calipers.

;; better than your average performing pineapple

Old July 12th 07, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Paul Boyd
('usenet.dont.work@plusnet') wrote:

Tony B said the following on 12/07/2007 13:32:

oops... was not intended to go back to urc!! Thanks to Mr Raven though
for helping my mate understand why he should spend his money on other
things.

You forgot to mention the advantages of disc brakes, including cable
operated.

a: They won't be affected by a bent wheel. It's far easier to bend a
wheel than a rotor.

I've bent rotors, and found it quite easy. I've never yet bent a wheel
(although I know people who have).

b: Even if you do bend a rotor, it can just be bent back.

On planet Zog, perhaps. On earth, impossible to bend to within the
tolerances required.

c: They will still work even when covered in mud and water.

False.

d: Being further from the ground the braking surface is less likely to
get covered in mud/water anyway.

True.

e: Easier to maintain.

Longer service interval, much more complex to service. Overall, not
significantly easier to maintain (in practice my experience with Hayes
disks is that if they need to be bled, or need new pads or piston seals,
the cheapest and simplest thing to do is throw the whole mechanism in the
bin and replace with Hope or Shimano).

Hope this helps ;-)

Not a lot.

;; Perl ... is the Brittney Spears of programming - easily accessible
;; but, in the final analysis, empty of any significant thought
;; Frank Adrian on Slashdot, 21st July 2003
Old July 12th 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Simon Brooke wrote:

On planet Zog, perhaps. On earth, impossible to bend to within the
tolerances required.

Not impossible but maybe difficult. When I was working in an
engineering factory in my student summer vacation one of the apprentices
was set the task of flattening a sheet of steel. After a week of
hammering it was no flatter with every lump hammered down leading to
another appearing elsewhere. After he had been doing it long enough to
teach him the difficulty one of the old hands drew three chalk circles
on the sheet, told the apprentice to heat each to a dull red heat and
let it cool. As it cooled the whole sheet pulled flat. A memorable
demonstration of experience over brute force.

Tony

Jake, you get wise. You get to church! PiledHigher Australia 3 June 20th 07 10:19 PM
where to go next flips wise? Lucas1wheel Unicycling 6 February 11th 07 11:13 PM
The old are wise EuanB Australia 10 August 19th 05 06:11 AM
Oh wise ones: Spoke lengths David Nutter UK 10 November 18th 03 03:05 PM