"Cyclist arrest after Camden tourist death"

Old March 20th 10, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default "Cyclist arrest after Camden tourist death"

Just to show how unbiased I am I report this very rare event. Of
course, a charge of involuntary manslaughter carries a maximum life
sentence but causing death by dangerous driving has a maximum of only
14 years. Odd that! Obviously you are much better off killing someone
with a car than with a bicycle.

"A 27-year-old cyclist has been arrested after the death of a tourist
who was knocked down by a pedal bike in London.

Scotland Yard said the man was arrested on suspicion of involuntary
manslaughter and bailed.

Marian Anderson, 56, from Denmark, was hit while crossing a road in
Camden on 21 February. She died in hospital from head injuries on 1
March.

Police said she was with her daughter, who is in her mid-20s, at the
time. The cyclist involved stopped at the scene.

The incident happened in Lidlington Place, at the junction with
Eversholt Street.

Ms Anderson was taken by ambulance to University College Hospital
before being moved to the National Hospital for Neurology and
Neurosurgery in London, where she later died.

The man was arrested on Friday after attending a police station in
central London, Metropolitan Police officers said.

The arrest was on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter by
recklessness and negligence.

He was bailed until a date in May pending further inquiries.

Carfree UK
http://carfree.org.uk/
Promoting carfree development and its environmental, social, financial
and health benefits.
Old March 20th 10, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Mar 20, 7:34*am, Doug wrote:
[...]

At least the cyclist had the decency to stop after the collision with
the fatally injured pdestrian, unlike some other reported cases of
cyclists colliding with pedestrians, although we don't know if he was
forced to do this by damage to his bike? Hopefully that will stand in
his favour if the case comes to court.

Del C

Old March 20th 10, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 20 Mar, 07:53, Derek C wrote:
On Mar 20, 7:34*am, Doug wrote:

[...]

Yes, compare it to the numerous hit and run drivers who kill so many
people each year. It makes cyclists look quite saintly by comparison.
I wonder if that is why they are so despised by motorists?

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old March 20th 10, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Mar 20, 7:59*am, Doug wrote:
On 20 Mar, 07:53, Derek C wrote:

On Mar 20, 7:34*am, Doug wrote:

[...]

Yes but a cyclist has a much better chance of getting away with a hit
and run accident, because he (or she) has no registration number that
can be reported by witnesses or captured on CCTV.

As a motorist, the only cyclists I despise are those who ride
recklessly or incompetently, ignore the Laws and Rules of the road and
don't use lights at night. I am a cyclist myself and passed my cycling
proficiency test as a teenager. I don't do any of the above things,
and suspect that you don't either, except possibly when taking part in
Critical Mass events.

Derek C
Old March 20th 10, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 20 Mar, 08:17, Derek C wrote:
On Mar 20, 7:59*am, Doug wrote:

On 20 Mar, 07:53, Derek C wrote:

On Mar 20, 7:34*am, Doug wrote:

[...]

Quite often there are no witnesses to a hit and run.

As a motorist, the only cyclists I despise are those who ride
recklessly or incompetently, ignore the Laws and Rules of the road and
don't use lights at night. I am a cyclist myself and passed my cycling
proficiency test as a teenager. I don't do any of the above things,
and suspect that you don't either, except possibly when taking part in
Critical Mass events.

My policy is to abide by even inappropriate traffic laws where they do
not conflict with my safety, bearing in mind that I can't kill drivers
but they can easily kill me. I would like the laws to be changed to
favour vulnerable road users instead of treating them like any other
traffic.

Old March 20th 10, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
McKevvy

On 20 Mar, 07:34, Doug wrote:
Just to show how unbiased I am I report this very rare event.

Bollox. You didn't post it into uk.rec.driving where you post the rest
of your anti-car crap.

You're a biggoted, lieing ******* - you'd make a great MP.

McK.
Old March 20th 10, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 00:34:20 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Doug
wrote this:-

Marian Anderson, 56, from Denmark, was hit while crossing a road in
Camden on 21 February. She died in hospital from head injuries on 1
March.

The usual suspects have not called for pedestrians to wear helmets I
see. If just one life is saved.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Old March 20th 10, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_3_]

"Doug" wrote in message

Just to show how unbiased I am I report this very rare event.

Yes Doug, you are always very unbiased!

Old March 20th 10, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Mar 20, 9:31*am, McKevvy wrote:
On 20 Mar, 07:34, Doug wrote:

Just to show how unbiased I am I report this very rare event.

Bollox. You didn't post it into uk.rec.driving where you post the rest
of your anti-car crap.

You're a biggoted, lieing ******* - you'd make a great MP.

McK.

I trust that you will issue an apology to all MPs for your most unfair
comparison?

DC
Old March 20th 10, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 01:17:19 -0700 (PDT), Derek C
wrote:

Yes but a cyclist has a much better chance of getting away with a hit
and run accident, because he (or she) has no registration number that
can be reported by witnesses or captured on CCTV.

Can you cite any cyclist in Britain that has got away with killing a
pedestrian?

The motorist killer of cyclist Adrianna Skrzypiec seems to have got
away with it.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...hit-and-run.do