dangerous cyclist causes death of OAP

Old May 29th 10, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default dangerous cyclist causes death of OAP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...r/10189702.stm

Old May 29th 10, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...r/10189702.stm

With all respect to everyone concerned, I would like to point out that if
the bus was not travelling quite so fast, it may not have needed to brake so
hard, and therefore the poor person may still be alive.

I further realise that drivers generally like someone to blame and this view
may be unpopular.

Lower speed limits save lives.

And many bus drivers DLCs

Old May 29th 10, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marie

On May 29, 6:34*pm, "mileburner" wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...r/10189702.stm

With all respect to everyone concerned, I would like to point out that if
the bus was not travelling quite so fast, it may not have needed to brake so
hard, and therefore the poor person may still be alive.

I further realise that drivers generally like someone to blame and this view
may be unpopular.

Lower speed limits save lives.

And many bus drivers DLCs

With all respect to everyone concerned, I would like to point out that
if
the cyclist had not pulled out in front of the bus, it may not have
needed to brake so
hard, and therefore the poor person may still be alive.

I further realise that cyclist generally like someone to blame and
this view
may be unpopular.

More care save lives.
Old May 29th 10, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FrengaX

On May 29, 6:34*pm, "mileburner" wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...r/10189702.stm

With all respect to everyone concerned, I would like to point out that if
the bus was not travelling quite so fast, it may not have needed to brake so
hard, and therefore the poor person may still be alive.

I further realise that drivers generally like someone to blame and this view
may be unpopular.

Lower speed limits save lives.

And many bus drivers DLCs

As you obviously seem to know how fast the bus was travelling at the
time, please do enlighten us. And then explain what would have been a
more appropriate speed, considering you have a complete understanding
of the area and circumstances.
Old May 29th 10, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On 29 May, 21:01, FrengaX wrote:
On May 29, 6:34*pm, "mileburner" wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...r/10189702.stm

With all respect to everyone concerned, I would like to point out that if
the bus was not travelling quite so fast, it may not have needed to brake so
hard, and therefore the poor person may still be alive.

I further realise that drivers generally like someone to blame and this view
may be unpopular.

Lower speed limits save lives.

And many bus drivers DLCs

As you obviously seem to know how fast the bus was travelling at the
time, please do enlighten us. And then explain what would have been a
more appropriate speed, considering you have a complete understanding
of the area and circumstances.

Obviously, as a general point, non-lethal speed would have been a
better choice.
Old May 29th 10, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FrengaX

On May 29, 10:17*pm, Squashme wrote:
On 29 May, 21:01, FrengaX wrote:

On May 29, 6:34*pm, "mileburner" wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...r/10189702.stm

With all respect to everyone concerned, I would like to point out that if
the bus was not travelling quite so fast, it may not have needed to brake so
hard, and therefore the poor person may still be alive.

I further realise that drivers generally like someone to blame and this view
may be unpopular.

Lower speed limits save lives.

And many bus drivers DLCs

As you obviously seem to know how fast the bus was travelling at the
time, please do enlighten us. And then explain what would have been a
more appropriate speed, considering you have a complete understanding
of the area and circumstances.

Obviously, as a general point, non-lethal speed would have been a
better choice

That's nearly as unhelpful as mileburner's comment. What's a non-
lethal speed, in general? Zero would work, but not very viable. Not
knowing the circumstances of the injury sustained which led to the
passenger's death, how can you tell that it wasn't a freak of
unfortunate circumstances at a speed that would normally not result in
fatalities?
Old May 29th 10, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On 29 May, 21:01, FrengaX wrote:

[...]

Well, if that were so, Mrcheerful wouldn't have titled this discussion
"dangerous cyclist causes death of OAP", now would he?
Old May 29th 10, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

On 29 May, 21:01, FrengaX wrote:

[...]

the bus driver had to brake so sharply because some cyclist pulled out in
front of him/her. The deceleration was so rapid that one passenger suffered
a broken arm and one died from hitting her head. It could be said that the
design of the bus seating arrangements is unsafe since passengers can be
unseated simply by the brakes of the vehicle, however, hard braking would
not have been needed if the cyclist had not made a serious error.
I would have run the cyclist down rather than braked so hard.

Old May 29th 10, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Mrcheerful wrote:

On 29 May, 21:01, FrengaX wrote:
[...]

We also do not know if the passengers were seated, or perhaps one
collided with another.

--
Tony Dragon
Old May 29th 10, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

"Tony Dragon" wrote in message
Mrcheerful wrote:

On 29 May, 21:01, FrengaX wrote:
[...]

even if they were standing, the cause remains with the cyclist.

Which is more dangerous to a cyclist? Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® General 12 December 3rd 07 05:10 AM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist death in WA. Marty Australia 0 April 5th 05 06:50 AM
Walking is DANGEROUS! -- Third pedestrian death prompts serge Mountain Biking 0 February 9th 05 03:44 PM
Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM