Angry driver on the wrong side of the road gets his comeuppance

Old June 30th 19, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Angry driver on the wrong side of the road gets his comeuppance

On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 8:40:07 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 30/06/2019 16:46, Simon Jester wrote:

On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 3:43:09 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

I have no adverse prejudice towards cyclists. I am happy to acknowledge
that a significant minority of them more or less comply with the law.

The above statement shows how prejudiced you are.

It's like saying.
'I have nothing against Black people, some of them are almost as good as White people.'

It's actually exactly like saying that some cyclists are law abiding and
that others (as it happens, these days, a majority) are not.

That's what it's like saying. It is nothing at all like saying anything
to do with being black.

Thank you for proving my point.

Before you start ranting I do consider the anti-cyclist bias equivalent to racism.

You can be as wrong and as stupid as you like, I can't stop you.

Being black (or Jewish or any other inherent characteristic) is not a
chosen behaviour. Being a chav scofflaw cyclist *is* a chosen and
deliberate behaviour. Your statement about what you consider (that's
perhaps putting it a bit high) doesn't change that.

Enlisting in a particular religion is not a choice?

Old July 1st 19, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 30/06/2019 22:23, Simon Jester wrote:

[...]

I would not previously have believed that you are so stupid as to think
that being black - or being Jewish - is a voluntary choice.

But you said it, so you must be.

Now, tell me why I should respect cyclists who break traffic law
constantly and repeatedly.
Old July 1st 19, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 12:16:05 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

How is being Jewish NOT a voluntary choice?
I was raised as a Christian then I grew up and stopped believing in fairy tales.

But you said it, so you must be.

Now, tell me why I should respect cyclists who break traffic law
constantly and repeatedly.

How do you feel about motorists who break speed limits?

Old July 1st 19, 01:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 01/07/2019 01:24, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

You aren't helping yourself. Stop digging.

But you said it, so you must be.

Now, tell me why I should respect cyclists who break traffic law
constantly and repeatedly.

How do you feel about motorists who break speed limits?

What does it have to do with the way that cyclists behave (most of 'em)?
Old July 1st 19, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Mon, 01 Jul 2019 00:55:10 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[...]

I'm backing Jester on this one; you tried to conflate "professing a
religion" with "having a skin colour." Quite distinct.

But you said it, so you must be.

Now, tell me why I should respect cyclists who break traffic law
constantly and repeatedly.

How do you feel about motorists who break speed limits?

What does it have to do with the way that cyclists behave (most of
'em)?

Why do big box drivers ignore speed limits?

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old July 1st 19, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 01/07/2019 00:16, JNugent wrote:

Now, tell me why I should respect cyclists who break traffic law
constantly and repeatedly.

Why should I respect somebody that chooses to use a dangerous form of
transport (no matter how careful and law abiding the driver) and
believes he can tell others using a much safer form of transport that
their behaviour is dangerous.

Unlike you, I work on the basis that criticism of behaviour should only
go sideways and up, not down.

How do you feel about motorists who break speed limits?
Old July 1st 19, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

[...]

Why do cyclists ignore all the rules of both the road and common sense?

Old July 1st 19, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 01/07/2019 10:55, MrCheerful wrote:
On 01/07/2019 10:40, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

Why do big box drivers ignore speed limits?

Why do cyclists ignore all the rules of both the road and common sense?

Remarkable, but not surprising, that motorists love to dodge the question.

You have a favourite statistic (even though it is meaningless, but let's
run with it), that cyclists harm the same number of pedestrians per
vehicle mile as drivers. In other words, all this alleged law breaking
by cyclists creates no additional harm. There is no possible moral
argument for demanding that the individual's choice should produce a
different outcome.
Old July 1st 19, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Mon, 01 Jul 2019 10:18:58 GMT, TMS320 wrote:

On 01/07/2019 10:55, MrCheerful wrote:
On 01/07/2019 10:40, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

Why do big box drivers ignore speed limits?

Why do cyclists ignore all the rules of both the road and common
sense?

Remarkable, but not surprising, that motorists love to dodge the
question.

You have a favourite statistic (even though it is meaningless, but
let's run with it), that cyclists harm the same number of pedestrians
per vehicle mile as drivers. In other words, all this alleged law
breaking by cyclists creates no additional harm. There is no possible
moral argument for demanding that the individual's choice should
produce a different outcome.

The drivers know it's bad (pollution deathrate etc) but mustn't let
themselves know this, so feel threatened by anything that shows them in a
bad light. It's a denial thing.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old July 1st 19, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 01/07/2019 11:43, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
[...]

I can guarantee that if I were to take a short journey locally, 99
percent of the cyclists will be breaking one or many laws, despite their
tiny numbers (probably a dozen in a three mile journey). Whereas the
vast majority of the hundreds of motor vehicles seen in the same
distance will not be noticeably breaking laws and are easily traced and
apprehended if they do.

I also note that despite this being a cycling group you continually try
to move it to a driving group, why is that? are you too embarassed to
admit that uk cyclists are a terrible shower of scofflaws?