Pls help with Top Ten list (fall cycling)

Old October 19th 04, 03:09 AM
Hunrobe

(Karen M.)

wrote:

Hi folks--
I'm now the editor for my club newsletter, and I need to finish
this Top Ten List of good things about autumn cycling. (It rained all
day Saturday, and was cold and windy Sunday. Incentives seem
appropriate.)

10. No bugs!
9. No sweat dripping down your sides, back, legs...
8. Roadkill doesn't reek
7. Fewer cyclists out there = more respect from motorists.
6. Siren song of the ice cream parlour considerably diminished.

5. Fallen leaves fill up the potholes, less likely to wreck your wheel.

4. Less likely to get road rash while wearing arm and leg warmers.

[this from a guy who crashes a lot]

3. Work off a few extra calories from the added wind resistance of
fall clothing.

Two more! C'mon!!!

Since temperature figures strongly:

2- The rush of cool air across your face when you start your ride and the
near-bliss of a hot tub or steamy shower afterwards.

1- The warm glow of satisfaction just knowing you did it despite the weather.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old October 19th 04, 05:11 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Oh, ooh, I got one, teacher, pick me, pick me!

#1 reason- Giving temps in C' is *way* more impressive than in the summer.
"It was so cold... 5 degrees out today!" sounds a whole lot more impressive
than "Thought I was going to pass out on the ride, 33 degrees is *so* hot."

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Karen M." wrote in message
om...
Hi folks--
I'm now the editor for my club newsletter, and I need to finish
this Top Ten List of good things about autumn cycling. (It rained all
day Saturday, and was cold and windy Sunday. Incentives seem
appropriate.)

10. No bugs!
9. No sweat dripping down your sides, back, legs...
8. Roadkill doesn't reek
7. Fewer cyclists out there = more respect from motorists.
6. Siren song of the ice cream parlour considerably diminished.

5. Fallen leaves fill up the potholes, less likely to wreck your wheel.

4. Less likely to get road rash while wearing arm and leg warmers.

[this from a guy who crashes a lot]

3. Work off a few extra calories from the added wind resistance of
fall clothing.

Two more! C'mon!!!

--Karen M.
Rapid Wheelmen, GR, Mich

Old October 19th 04, 01:40 PM
OughtFour

Karen M. wrote:

Two more! C'mon!!!

Apples apples apples apples!

Old October 19th 04, 05:29 PM
Rick Warner

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote in message om...
7. Fewer cyclists out there = more respect from motorists.

If the weather's bad enough, fewer cars too. I've been on Skyline (Highway
35) during the worst rain & windstorms, and it's literally been so bad that
the cars stayed away. Obviously, in Northern California, this doesn't
happen very often.

Mike,

It does not even have to be that bad. There was almost no traffic
coming down Hwy 9 on Sunday, and pretty much zilch on Skyline south of
Saratoga Gap. We had a lot on Bear Creek, but only up to Byington
Winery which was hosting some sort of event. Past the winery we had
the roads to ourselves .... and very fall-like with all the red poison
oak, yellow from other trees, and leaves all over the ground :-)

- rick
Old October 19th 04, 07:08 PM
Bert L.am

"Karen M." schreef in bericht
om...

You will share your final choice with everyone who contributed, will you?

Bert l.

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old October 19th 04, 07:45 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
(Karen M.) writes:
Hi folks--
I'm now the editor for my club newsletter, and I need to finish
this Top Ten List of good things about autumn cycling. (It rained all
day Saturday, and was cold and windy Sunday. Incentives seem
appropriate.)

10. No bugs!
9. No sweat dripping down your sides, back, legs...
8. Roadkill doesn't reek
7. Fewer cyclists out there = more respect from motorists.
6. Siren song of the ice cream parlour considerably diminished.

5. Fallen leaves fill up the potholes, less likely to wreck your wheel.

4. Less likely to get road rash while wearing arm and leg warmers.

[this from a guy who crashes a lot]

3. Work off a few extra calories from the added wind resistance of
fall clothing.

Two more! C'mon!!!

2. As the weather becomes more inclement and folks are
stuck indoors more often, opportunities to escape to
the great outdoors become more precious. For a lot of
North Temperate Zone riders the icy vice of winter is
already closing fast.

1.75 Some cycling clubs & organizations pitch really good,
entertaining, autumn-themed social rides.

1.5 The sun being lower in the sky gives interesting
lighting effects for the photographically inclined.
The longer shadows give pictures a more 3-D look.

1.25 Lots of opportunity to test new night riding gear.

1.0 Riding in the fall is good because it involves riding at all.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 25th 04, 10:23 PM
Actually34

2. Falling leaves give you a visual clue as to the wind direction.

1. Winter is coming. It's worse.

Old November 5th 04, 05:22 AM
Karen M.

Bert wrote:
You will share your final choice with everyone who contributed, will you?

Sho 'nuff. Here ya go: (as published)

• No bugs!
• No sweat dripping down your sides, back, legs...
• Roadkill doesn’t reek
• Wrong-way cyclists have hung up their Huffys
• Siren song of the ice cream parlour considerably diminished
• Fallen leaves fill up the potholes, less likely to wreck your
wheel
• Less likely to get road rash while wearing arm and leg
warmers
• Work off a few extra calories from the added wind resistance
of fall clothing
• No need to shave your legs since you’re wearing
legwarmers or tights. That’s a big plus whether you’re
male or female.
• Lots of opportunity to test new night riding gear
• SPF 0 is sufficient sunscreen
• One water bottle is now enough
• Hot chocolate: rest stop drink of champions
• Fall color!
• Apples apples apples!

Thanks to all whose sparkling thoughts graced these 1's and 0's.

--Karen M.