Upgrades

Old October 30th 04, 04:09 AM
maxo

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:26:30 +0000, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

I've always just used the kind with
vulcanizing fluid--the patch is as strong as the tire and you don't have
to replace the tube when you get home

Glue them right and you still shouldn't.

I've witnessed two different bike shops around here do this: as they're
selling somebody their first "real" bike, and they're doing the schpiel
about maintenance and coming in for cable tightening, they talk of the
horrors of using a patched tube and said that "for your own safety" the
new bike owners should return to the shop and have their tube replaced for
$15. What a load of horse ****. I'll replace the tube only if it's a
really skinny tire and I can "feel" the patch. Never had one fail.

I don't shop at those places anymore, at one I got chastised on the same
visit for asking if they stocked those "mity mite" bells that are nice and
inconspicuous on a road bike stem "what do you want a bell for?!", the
owner sneered.

Sorry for going OT, I really miss having a real LBS nearby. :/

Old October 30th 04, 08:26 AM
A Muzi

-snip-
maxo wrote:
I've witnessed two different bike shops around here do this: as they're
selling somebody their first "real" bike, and they're doing the schpiel
about maintenance and coming in for cable tightening, they talk of the
horrors of using a patched tube and said that "for your own safety" the
new bike owners should return to the shop and have their tube replaced for
$15. What a load of horse ****. I'll replace the tube only if it's a
really skinny tire and I can "feel" the patch. Never had one fail.

I don't shop at those places anymore, at one I got chastised on the same
visit for asking if they stocked those "mity mite" bells that are nice and
inconspicuous on a road bike stem "what do you want a bell for?!", the
owner sneered.

Sorry for going OT, I really miss having a real LBS nearby. :/

$15?????????????????
Includes scalp massage or maybe dinner?
Fifteen Bucks???

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old October 30th 04, 03:59 PM
Claire Petersky

"A Muzi" wrote in message

maxo wrote:

they talk of the
horrors of using a patched tube and said that "for your own safety" the
new bike owners should return to the shop and have their tube replaced

for
$15.

$15?????????????????
Includes scalp massage or maybe dinner?
Fifteen Bucks???

I want to hang out at your LBS if they throw in scalp massages with the
replacement of a tube.

Yeah, $15 sounds about right -- $5 for the tube, $10 for labor. You might
think $10 is a lot for labor, but they usually drop everything else they're
doing to replace the tube, so there's a level of hassle factor for them.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old October 30th 04, 04:42 PM
maxo

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:26:52 -0500, A Muzi wrote:

$15?????????????????
Includes scalp massage or maybe dinner? Fifteen Bucks???

A fair price to be sure, but any reputable shop wouldn't try to insinuate
that a consumer can't safely change their own flat.

Old October 30th 04, 09:57 PM
A Muzi

maxo wrote:
A fair price to be sure, but any reputable shop wouldn't try to insinuate
that a consumer can't safely change their own flat.

The going rate in my neighbrhood is $4+$4.
$15 just seemed a lot

Old October 31st 04, 12:08 AM
Pat

:
: maxo wrote:
: A fair price to be sure, but any reputable shop wouldn't try to
insinuate
: that a consumer can't safely change their own flat.
:
: The going rate in my neighbrhood is $4+$4.
: $15 just seemed a lot
: Andrew Muzi

In this area, the charge is $10. I have been in several bicycle shops and
have seen and heard people inquiring about the service--so far, all of them
have been men--and they don't bat an eye when they are told it's $10 (while
you wait, natch). I have a hard time keeping my jaw from dropping to the
floor, but I also know several people who would never 'reuse' a tube,
either.

Pat in TX

Old October 31st 04, 01:29 AM
maxo

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:08:40 -0500, Pat wrote:

I also know several people who would never 'reuse' a
tube, either.

Ah, they don't understand that the more Rema patches on that Taiwanese
tube, the more panache and verve it gains.

Old November 2nd 04, 04:01 AM
Blair P. Houghton

maxo wrote:
I don't shop at those places anymore, at one I got chastised on the same
visit for asking if they stocked those "mity mite" bells that are nice and
inconspicuous on a road bike stem "what do you want a bell for?!", the
owner sneered.

You tell him "any advantage in a peloton."

--Blair
"While they're all looking back to see
which boob is ringing a fricken' bell,
you're slipping out and breaking away."
Old November 2nd 04, 03:35 PM
Badger_South

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 03:01:25 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

maxo wrote:
I don't shop at those places anymore, at one I got chastised on the same
visit for asking if they stocked those "mity mite" bells that are nice and
inconspicuous on a road bike stem "what do you want a bell for?!", the
owner sneered.

You tell him "any advantage in a peloton."

--Blair
"While they're all looking back to see
which boob is ringing a fricken' bell,
you're slipping out and breaking away."

Haha. Good one. For the big advantage on the final sprint, I presume you
have a stealth Air-Zounds?

-B

Old November 2nd 04, 06:36 PM
maxo

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 03:01:25 +0000, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

You tell him "any advantage in a peloton."

rofl!