Left Turn Lanes - split lanes or wait behing in the line ??

Old November 3rd 04, 07:28 PM
Ravi

Robert wrote:

line up behind the last car, but on the right
part of the lane.

There are intersections where I do this and even filter head so I'm
just behind the car that's at the front of the line. I almost never
pass the car that's at the front, though I've been tempted by some of
the depth-perception-challenged who have to wait until there's a full
mile of clearance before they make their turn.

There are some intersections, however, where keeping to the right in
the left-turn lane can be a little hazardous. If the opposing direction
also has a left-turn lane with a line of cars in it, they can block of
the view of oncoming straight-through traffic. The only way to see this
oncoming traffic is to take the turning lane. In these situations, I
generally start in the *left* tire track so I can see oncoming traffic
and move toward the right through my turn.

in calif. most of the intersections have left turn signals (left Arrow).
If the left arrow is red, then you cannot make the turn. In Texas, i
have seen in most places, you yield to oncoming traffic and make the
turn and there is no concept of red arrow.

When i was a cager, i used to not like being stuck at the red left turn
signal with no oncoming traffic. But i like it for safety, now that i am
cyclist

so, basically i make the turn when the signal is green - and i am sure
that there is definitely no on-coming traffic.

Thanks a lot for all replies, i would behave more like a car and take
the left turn lane.

Also, lane splitting would mean i will be passing the stopped cars on
their right, which is not what they expect. Sometimes when i am driving,
i have seen people crazily come out of left turn lane and go straight
- in that case, i would be endup under their car

as always, i would reserve some exceptions to this methodology - like
for uphill situations etc.

thanks a lot,
ravi

RFM