Q: Legal TT bike designs

Old July 21st 05, 12:45 AM
Bob

Default Q: Legal TT bike designs

For some reason, I seem to recall that the USCF changed the requirements
for TT bikes. Or at least the dearth of non diamond design frames would
seem to indicate something like this.

I have an old Javelin that I last raced about 5 years ago. This summer I'd
like to enter my district TT. However, I am worried that the design is now
illegal.

To visualize what the bike looks like, picture something with a radically
aero seat tube (wing shaped), and no top tube. What I'm wondering is
whether the race officials will allow me to ride the TT with this setup.

Any thoughts?

Bob
Old July 21st 05, 01:02 AM
Carl Sundquist

Bob wrote:
For some reason, I seem to recall that the USCF changed the requirements
for TT bikes. Or at least the dearth of non diamond design frames would
seem to indicate something like this.

I have an old Javelin that I last raced about 5 years ago. This summer I'd
like to enter my district TT. However, I am worried that the design is now
illegal.

To visualize what the bike looks like, picture something with a radically
aero seat tube (wing shaped), and no top tube. What I'm wondering is
whether the race officials will allow me to ride the TT with this setup.

Any thoughts?

Bob

USACycling equipment rules are not due to conform with UCI equipment
rules until 2007.

Unless a US race specifically has a UCI sanction, USAC rules are as
follows:

1J. Bicycles
1J1. Bicycles used in competition must be propelled solely by the
rider's legs and shall have the following characteristics:
27
(a) Dimensions. Bicycles may be no more than 2 meters long and 75 cm
wide, except that tandems may be up to 3 meters long
(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other device on any
part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance
except that spoke covers may be used
(c) Wheels may be made with spokes or solid construction. No wheel may
contain special mechanisms to store and release energy

There are other specific rules for various disciplines, such as track,
but for all practical purposes, if your bike meets these parameters,
you can race it in a USACycling sanctioned race.

Old July 21st 05, 01:11 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:45:47 GMT, Bob wrote:

For some reason, I seem to recall that the USCF changed the requirements
for TT bikes. Or at least the dearth of non diamond design frames would
seem to indicate something like this.

I have an old Javelin that I last raced about 5 years ago. This summer I'd
like to enter my district TT. However, I am worried that the design is now
illegal.

To visualize what the bike looks like, picture something with a radically
aero seat tube (wing shaped), and no top tube. What I'm wondering is
whether the race officials will allow me to ride the TT with this setup.

Any thoughts?

Yeah -- read the rulebook.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old July 21st 05, 03:36 AM
John Verheul

http://tinyurl.com/9yhbm

Old July 21st 05, 05:03 AM
Carl Sundquist

John Verheul wrote:
"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:45:47 GMT, Bob wrote:

Any thoughts?

Yeah -- read the rulebook.

JT

http://tinyurl.com/9yhbm

The problem comes when you have dumbass ignorant officials who don't
know the rules. They're threatened when challenged by the rulebook and
try to shove their stupidity down your throat by claiming to be in
charge and refusing to let you ride USAC legal equipment because they
want to interpret the rules to cover their dumb asses.

Old July 21st 05, 05:34 AM
gwhite

Carl Sundquist wrote:

John Verheul wrote:
"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:45:47 GMT, Bob wrote:

Any thoughts?

Yeah -- read the rulebook.

JT

http://tinyurl.com/9yhbm

The problem comes when you have dumbass ignorant officials who don't
know the rules. They're threatened when challenged by the rulebook and
try to shove their stupidity down your throat by claiming to be in
charge and refusing to let you ride USAC legal equipment because they
want to interpret the rules to cover their dumb asses.

Sport reflects life once again.
Old July 22nd 05, 12:12 AM
Bob

Carl,

Thanks very much for the info, I was totally unaware of the 2007 deadline!

Best,
Bob

My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Techniques 0 June 1st 04 04:54 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM