Mountain Bikers Not Respecting Laws

Old August 5th 13, 05:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Mountain Bikers Not Respecting Laws

As you well know, mountain bikers are not discriminated against. The exact same rules apply to everyone. And breaking the law surreptitiously is not "civil disobedience", but common criminality. Civil disobedience is breaking the law openly, with due notice given to all parties.

Mike

http://www.marinij.com/letterstothee...rs-forum-aug-4

Respecting the laws

I read your article about the need to enforce regulations with respect to scofflaw bikers.

Your article couldn't have been more timely.

On July 9, my friend and I were hiking to the top of Mt. Tamalpais, when we stopped to take a water break at the foot of the Wheeler trail. Luckily, we had not already begun our climb of this very steep and narrow trail, which, by the way, has many wood and rock stairs and is not wide enough to "pull over" if the need arises.

I was startled by a loud noise and looked up to see five bikers riding down the trail toward us.

When I questioned the first rider, "What are you doing riding on this single-track trail?" he rudely began a self-righteous defense of their action calling it "civil disobedience" because they believe they are being treated unfairly by those who impose the rules.

Furthermore, he claimed this was a free country and he didn't give a hoot.

He delivered his words right in my face.

This was a situation that could have become explosive. There's no point trying to reason with these arrogant, "renegade" bikers.

In spite of the fact that there is a sign posted on Wheeler that reads: "NOT ALLOWED TO RIDE, CARRY OR WALK BIKES ON THIS TRAIL," those bikers threw hiker safety, as well as their own, to the wind.

The Marin County Bicycle Coalition should do everything in its power to support the efforts of the county in reining in these scofflaws who give a bad name to the other bikers who are respecting the laws.

Carolyn Cogan, San Rafael
Old August 8th 13, 12:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
I love Mike

Yawn...yet more crap......