Campy 10-speed chain - where to buy?

Old August 12th 05, 02:38 AM
Colin Campbell

Default Campy 10-speed chain - where to buy?

It's time for me to get a new chain. I see a couple of places
advertising the chain at $49.99. I looked at comparison pricing, and it
showed Colorado Cyclist at $47.99, and Supergo at $35.98. However, when
I go to those Web sites, I don't see those prices. I did find a price
of $44.99 at Competitive Cyclist.

My local shop charged me close to $60 for the chain last time, so I'm
tempted to buy elsewhere and get my buddy to help me install the chain.

Any tips on where to buy?

Also, I have a Super Link on the chain right now. These are described
as "reusable". Are they really? Should I buy another Super Link?
Old August 12th 05, 05:38 AM
Wannagofast

Go Wipperman and you'll also get the link to join the chain that does not
require the Campy tool and you can remove the chain to clean as needed.

I get the Nickle plated ones from Lickton, I think they 32.95 now. I bought
several earlier this year for 29.95

Old August 12th 05, 01:18 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Colin Campbell wrote:
It's time for me to get a new chain. I see a couple of places
advertising the chain at $49.99. I looked at comparison pricing, and it
showed Colorado Cyclist at $47.99, and Supergo at $35.98. However, when
I go to those Web sites, I don't see those prices. I did find a price
of $44.99 at Competitive Cyclist.

My local shop charged me close to $60 for the chain last time, so I'm
tempted to buy elsewhere and get my buddy to help me install the chain.

Any tips on where to buy?

Also, I have a Super Link on the chain right now. These are described
as "reusable". Are they really? Should I buy another Super Link?

Should not reuse the superlink or any connecting link. They get worn
just like a chain. If you are not going to use the snap link, ensure
your 'buudy' knows what he's doing. You need a really good chain tool
or the Campagnolo one to do it correctly.

Wipperman is a good 10s chain as is the Campagnolo one. Many online
places have them, as you have found. I think the Campagnolo chain works
the best, however, particularly with Campact set\ups.

Old August 12th 05, 04:15 PM
Xyzzy

There are two Campy "Record" 10 speed chains... The "Ultra" is usually
$50 online and the regular one is usually $40 online... Last week
SuperGo had the regular one for $35...

The only difference between the chains is the Ultra has hollow pins and
drilled side plates... The Ultra is 20 grams lighter...

http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=1&cid=6

--
Mike (Xyzzy)

Old August 17th 05, 01:16 AM
Jasper Janssen

On 12 Aug 2005 08:15:19 -0700, "Xyzzy" wrote:

The only difference between the chains is the Ultra has hollow pins and
drilled side plates... The Ultra is 20 grams lighter...

A whole 20 grams is worth $10? So if you stick an extra mars bar in your
pocket, you're carrying around $30 worth of dead weight.

Jasper