BR 58 - Suffer-o-rama

Old July 31st 05, 09:54 AM
GPLama

Default BR 58 - Suffer-o-rama

A long one.. in short: Nice day, four riders, two split for Kinglake.

12deg as we started off at 7:30am from the Doncaster corner, myself, JayWoo,
Flyingdutch and TimC.. easy rolling 'till the dodgy road works - lucky I
was pussy footing down off the back as fd punctured and was looking for a
pump. FD can no longer laugh at my new carbon pump - it got him back up and
running!

No gut busting efforts up to Kangaroo Ground - as JayWoo and I had discussed
doing a dash for Kinglake for the first time in a long while. TimC and FD
took the standard route to Smiths Gully while JayWoo and I took the
never-ending-false-flat that is the way to Clintons Rd. Passing 3(!) fire
trucks on Clintons Rd (which is only as wide as a fire truck), we wander up
the 'Col de moo' to the Smiths Gully store. Another largeish organised
bunch flew past, we all noted..

FD and TimC headed back to the safety of the city - JW and I headed off for
a grind. New bike, new gearing, I was feeling good (even after our boulie
roll yesterday)... I hit the timing point and found a rhythm - climbing
most of the way just on or below LT in 21!.. hoorraaa.. last time up
Kinglake was 21:52, I'd be happy with anything under 20mins... the winding
roads are the easy part, it is the long boring steep part for the last 3(?)
kms that hurts - back into 23 for most of that. Crossed the 60km/hr sign in
19:28!.. That is going on cycle2max for sure!.. JW rocked up a few mins
later and we spotted the largeish organised bunch again just starting their
decent.. off we take..

Bike Lesson #12512 - being an 'il falco' takes skill and experience. JW was
pulling away just a little - so I put the hammer down. Coming into a sharp
left I hit some middle road stones and almost had a Rasmussen moment....
easy does it for the rest of the decent, working on upper body weight
distribution on corners... We catch the bunch at the bottom and play wheel
suck until one of their members had a mechanical on the climb back into
Smiths Gully. Just past the store JW and I started to suffer - every hill
was twice as big and there seemed to be more of them than ever!.. We
decide to stop in at Eltham for food - but I manage to stop for cashola and
lose track of JW - couldn't see him on my roll through Eltham - must have
been the impaired vision as 4kms later I get a call asking where I am as he
has found a spot and ordered! No energy to turn back I find the nearest
servo and lunge for a Gatorade and lollies - argh - Foote St still to go..
Suffering lasts another 15kms home.. everything hurts.. but on the positive
side - the new steed held up very well under the punishment.

Brag time... From what I can tell 19:28 will get me within the top 12 on
cycle2max for the Kinglake climb (assuming the front page of this climb info
is correct). Estimated power output was 315W, which also gains me entry to
the 300W club! w00t!

cheers,
GPL

Old July 31st 05, 10:20 AM
Jay Woo

GPLama wrote:

FD and TimC headed back to the safety of the city - JW and I headed off for
a grind. New bike, new gearing, I was feeling good (even after our boulie
roll yesterday)... I hit the timing point and found a rhythm - climbing
most of the way just on or below LT in 21!.. hoorraaa.. last time up
Kinglake was 21:52, I'd be happy with anything under 20mins... the winding
roads are the easy part, it is the long boring steep part for the last 3(?)
kms that hurts - back into 23 for most of that. Crossed the 60km/hr sign in
19:28!.. That is going on cycle2max for sure!.. JW rocked up a few mins
later and we spotted the largeish organised bunch again just starting their
decent.. off we take..

I'd like to say I was a witness, but I only got to see ya for the 1st
couple of corners! Rockin' work!
I didn't even bother timing myself and it was a good decision as it
seemed to take forever:\

We decide to stop in at Eltham for food - but I manage to stop for cashola and
lose track of JW - couldn't see him on my roll through Eltham - must have
been the impaired vision as 4kms later I get a call asking where I am as he
has found a spot and ordered!

I grew up in the area, and knew of a cafe just of the main drag and
turned in. No GPL. Ah, he's stopped for an ATM I'm thinking and seen me
turn off. I join the cue and order a coffee & muffin. Hmmm, GPL should
be here by now?
Even after the fuel up I'm still suffering through Greensbourgh, stop
at Watsonia for donuts, and continue limping home through Ivanhoe.

Old July 31st 05, 10:58 AM
acalcium

Jay Woo wrote:
GPLama wrote:

[...]

That's some hilly terrain u guys are doing....

Old July 31st 05, 12:47 PM
flyingdutch

acalcium Wrote:

That's some hilly terrain u guys are doing....

that's the idea

think of it as the anti-Beach-Christ-ride

mental note to self. riding with a hangover is OK if one's HR doesn
get pushed over 140 at which point head starts to feel like there'
hummer tryin to get out. Im definetly doin this Clintons Rd route nex
week

... and not drinkin on Sat'dy night

PS Lama. why havent you got a half-year licence yet and had a go at
roadrace, ya muppet

--
flyingdutch

Old July 31st 05, 01:09 PM
GPLama

"flyingdutch" wrote in message ...

PS Lama. why havent you got a half-year licence yet and had a go at a
roadrace, ya muppet?

Yeah I know, I feel I would be better suited to road racing and not these
crit/sprint thingys... Biggest hurdle is finding out the how/what/when's of
the racing.. I guess I'd be in the Northern Combine? Of which there is
bugger all information on (that I can find anyways)...

I'm being lazy wanting things easy and straight forward - but the whole road
racing scene just confuses the hell out of me... throw in all the politics
from CV and it looks like a mess from where I stand.. is there any central
source for this info? Be cool if they had some racing with ongoing points
score like the yearly UCI standings etc..

For now, I guess I'll keep going in circles at Kew... which will be this
Sunday the 7th, if the weather holds up...

cheers,
GPL

Old July 31st 05, 02:27 PM
TimC

On 2005-07-31, GPLama (aka Bruce)
FD and TimC headed back to the safety of the city

I did indeed go into the city tonight. Went and saw the town bikes at
the Tote. Insert lewd joek about wanting to ride the town bike here.

--
TimC
If I'd known computer science was going to be like this, I'd never have