RCN Rant

Old January 20th 05, 04:16 AM
Tom Sherman

Default RCN Rant

In RCN # 86 (Jan./Feb. 2005) Bob Bryant wrote:

Here are the common recumbent wheel sizes:

16" 305 mm: These shorter and wider 16" size is found on recreational CLWB models.

No mention is made that the ISO 305-mm is a great wheel size for the
front of a lowracer, and that the best handling and most user friendly
lowracers [1] use ISO 305-mm front wheels!

What’s up with that, Bob?

The ISO 305-mm wheel is also an excellent design choice for any SWB bike
intended for riders shorter than 152 cm (~5 feet), particularly now that
wide, relatively smooth tread tires [2] are available.

[1] In particular, ones with red paint.
[2] The 50-305 Schwalbe Big Apple looks promising.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 20th 05, 10:12 AM
Dave Larrington

Tom Sherman wrote:
In RCN # 86 (Jan./Feb. 2005) Bob Bryant wrote:

Here are the common recumbent wheel sizes:

16" 305 mm: These shorter and wider 16" size is found on
recreational CLWB models.

No mention is made that the ISO 305-mm is a great wheel size for the
front of a lowracer, and that the best handling and most user friendly
lowracers [1] use ISO 305-mm front wheels!

What’s up with that, Bob?

The ISO 305-mm wheel is also an excellent design choice for any SWB
bike intended for riders shorter than 152 cm (~5 feet), particularly
now that wide, relatively smooth tread tires [2] are available.

[1] In particular, ones with red paint.
[2] The 50-305 Schwalbe Big Apple looks promising.

Except that high-performance 305 tyres appear to be conspicuous by their
absence from most, if not all, manufacturers' product lists...

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old January 20th 05, 12:09 PM
Ken Marcet

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
In RCN # 86 (Jan./Feb. 2005) Bob Bryant wrote:

Here are the common recumbent wheel sizes:

16" 305 mm: These shorter and wider 16" size is found on recreational

CLWB models.

No mention is made that the ISO 305-mm is a great wheel size for the
front of a lowracer, and that the best handling and most user friendly
lowracers [1] use ISO 305-mm front wheels!

What’s up with that, Bob?

The ISO 305-mm wheel is also an excellent design choice for any SWB bike
intended for riders shorter than 152 cm (~5 feet), particularly now that
wide, relatively smooth tread tires [2] are available.

[1] In particular, ones with red paint.
[2] The 50-305 Schwalbe Big Apple looks promising.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

I thought about using a 16 on my current project, a recycled swb, pieced
together from a murray 10 sp and a 10 sp huffy mtb. But after looking
through my collection I found a 20 that looks pretty good, all I have to do
is get rid of the bmx tire that is mounted on it!

Ken

Old January 21st 05, 01:02 AM
Tom Sherman

Dave Larrington wrote:

Except that high-performance 305 tyres appear to be conspicuous by their
absence from most, if not all, manufacturers' product lists...

The 35-305 Primo Comet fits the bill just fine for dry weather use on
reasonably decent pavement.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 21st 05, 12:02 PM
Dave Larrington

Tom Sherman wrote:
Dave Larrington wrote:

Except that high-performance 305 tyres appear to be conspicuous by
their absence from most, if not all, manufacturers' product lists...

The 35-305 Primo Comet fits the bill just fine for dry weather use on
reasonably decent pavement.

Not easy to find thobut, at least on /this/ side of the pond. St. John St.
Cycles, purveyors of odd-sized tyres to BRITONS since time immemorial, don't
even list the 305 V-Monster any more, never mind the Comet.

Old January 21st 05, 04:14 PM
Zach

Tom Sherman wrote:
Dave Larrington wrote:

Except that high-performance 305 tyres appear to be conspicuous by

their
absence from most, if not all, manufacturers' product lists...

The 35-305 Primo Comet fits the bill just fine for dry weather use on

reasonably decent pavement.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

I don't know of any Comets labeled 35-305, just the 37-305 (actual
width approximately 32 mm) and the 40-305 (actual width approximately
40 mm).

Zach

Old January 21st 05, 11:51 PM
Tom Sherman

Zach wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Dave Larrington wrote:

Except that high-performance 305 tyres appear to be conspicuous by

their

absence from most, if not all, manufacturers' product lists...

The 35-305 Primo Comet fits the bill just fine for dry weather use on

reasonably decent pavement.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

I don't know of any Comets labeled 35-305, just the 37-305 (actual
width approximately 32 mm) and the 40-305 (actual width approximately
40 mm).

Since Primo neglects to provide ISO sizing (at least on the two older
"gumwall" examples I have at hand), I was using an estimate based on
measured width, which will of course vary with the rim used. I have also
seen the tire listed as a 35-305, but of course that may also have been
an estimate.

When I become world dictator, my first action will be to ban the use of
all non-ISO bicycle tire sizing systems.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 22nd 05, 04:50 AM
Al Luminium

Zach wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Dave Larrington wrote:

[...]

Yo Tom, you know where I can score a pair of 650B rims?

Old January 22nd 05, 05:11 AM
Tom Sherman

Al Luminium wrote:

Yo Tom, you know where I can score a pair of 650B [ISO 584-mm] rims?

See http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/rims/584.html.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 23rd 05, 10:57 PM

Tom Sherman wrote:
Al Luminium wrote:

Yo Tom, you know where I can score a pair of 650B [ISO 584-mm]

rims?

See http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/rims/584.html.

Complete wheels are available from Rivendell:
http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/web...els/18188.html
I'd bet they'd sell you a rim or two if you asked nice.
Jeff (got enough weird wheel sizes, thank you) Wills

4mm screws that take 5mm Allen key? (thinly-disguised rant...) (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 36 June 30th 04 03:56 AM
Oh dear (perhaps OT, certainly a rant) dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 21 January 29th 04 09:21 PM
RR: Time To Rant Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 34 January 21st 04 12:52 AM
Big Rant (long) SimonC UK 75 November 20th 03 08:24 PM
OT (sorta) - UPS Rant voodoo Mountain Biking 20 August 15th 03 05:12 PM