Onza 20" Crank Feels Loose

Old October 10th 03, 01:32 PM
deadlydes

Default Onza 20" Crank Feels Loose

I just bought i new 20" onza and the RH crank feels loose
(the mechanics are the same as the old onza ie splined hub)

does anyone know why this is?
i asked roger and he said get a really long allan key and tighten it but
this hasnt worked.

is it possible that the bearings are not tight enough?

Thanks
Des

--
deadlydes - Skilled Unicyclist
deadlydes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4345

Old October 11th 03, 12:26 AM
mike.hinson

I have tightened one of these up because it was moving slightly, it was
really hard to tighten because the threads had locktight on them. Once
it was tightened properly it was fine.

It is important to stop it moving if it is the hub as leaving it loose
may damage the hub. I suggest you give Roger another ring on Monday or
you can ring me if you like, I will PM you my phone number.

/\/\

--
mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000
mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

Old October 11th 03, 01:36 AM
gerblefranklin

I had this problem on my Onza too, until yesterday, when I rotated the
cranks 90 degrees on the splines. Tightening it really only goes so far,
especially on the Onza, as they have about 3/4 inch spacers on the
splines, so tightening them doesn't really change anything. You can buy
an 8mm allen wrench, and unbolt the cranks, rotate them and then tighten
them back up. You don't need to remove the dust caps, as a matter of
fact, they actually make removing the crank easier. They're reverse
threaded, so they stay on when you remove the bolt. That way, when the
bolt is removed, the crank comes with it . Ingenius really. I'd
recomend trying to tighten the cranks first, though. I know mine were a
bit loose when it arrived. Hope this helps

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

Old October 11th 03, 01:58 PM
gingerfreek

you should try using anti-seize on the threads, there are loads of
threads about anti-seize. it basically a greese that is good at high
pressures and stuff(someone will hopefully describe it properly) i had
the same problem with my kh cranks, i put some -anti-seize on the
threads, and could get them alot tighter. now i have no problem.

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507