A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

River!

Old December 8th 19, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster

Default River!

Whoops. I accidentally drove through a 3 foot deep river which had flooded across the road. It didn't look that deep! It only came halfway up the ducks! I managed to make a bowwave and followed it, then flagged down a van going the other way and said, "I wouldn't if I were you".

Cars are so wimpy, I could have cycled through that easily.
Ads
Old December 8th 19, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default River!

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 7:03:49 PM UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Whoops. I accidentally drove through a 3 foot deep river which had flooded across the road. It didn't look that deep! It only came halfway up the ducks! I managed to make a bowwave and followed it, then flagged down a van going the other way and said, "I wouldn't if I were you".

You should have walked through it first.
Old December 8th 19, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 12:36:01 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason, a typical, braindead,
troll-feeding senile idiot blathered:

Like you walked in the attention-starved troll's latest trap, troll-feeding
senile idiot?

Old December 8th 19, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster

Default River!

On Sun, 08 Dec 2019 20:36:01 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

Since a nearby road always has "road closed" when it's deep, on a permanent fold down sign, I assumed others would too. Somebody told me they do usually put up a temporary sign, I guess his time they forgot.

There's something wrong with car design when a person could wade through deeper water than a car. In fact pretty much everything made by humans can't handle water.
Old December 8th 19, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 13:48:16 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason, another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

I came upon a ford on the North Yorkshire Moors, got out of the car and
with a long stick, tested the water. Since it was only six inches deep,
it was safe to drive across.

Good that you found a retarded troll who you could tell about it, eh, senile
asshole? BG
Old December 8th 19, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default River!

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 9:01:50 PM UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Since a nearby road always has "road closed" when it's deep, on a permanent fold down sign, I assumed others would too. Somebody told me they do usually put up a temporary sign, I guess his time they forgot.

There's something wrong with car design when a person could wade through deeper water than a car. In fact pretty much everything made by humans can't handle water.

I came upon a ford on the North Yorkshire Moors, got out of the car and with a long stick, tested the water. Since it was only six inches deep, it was safe to drive across.
Old December 8th 19, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster

Default River!

On Sun, 08 Dec 2019 21:48:16 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

I came upon a ford on the North Yorkshire Moors, got out of the car and with a long stick, tested the water. Since it was only six inches deep, it was safe to drive across.

I incorrectly assumed it couldn't be that deep because:
1) I thought the road was quite flat there.
2) There was no warning sign like the neighbouring floodable road.
3) I'd just passed someone coming the other way. Perhaps they'd turned back! They could have told me!

If I was in charge of the roads there, I'd put some kind of depth guage at the deepest part. And no, not, "This road is impassable if this sign is underwater"!
Old December 10th 19, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster

Default River!

On Sun, 08 Dec 2019 21:48:16 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

A friend told me electric cars die in anything over 3 inches of water (according to a manual he read on one). I thought that would be absurd, to have a 3 inch limit as people must encounter puddles deeper than that every day, so I looked it up. According to this video of a Renault (worst company for anything electrical) Zoe, they're BETTER than petrol cars for surviving water. For example the 400 volt battery is sealed for safety to stop it electrocuting fish, dogs, people if they wade through water next to it. https://youtu.be/ixXF72HFr5U