Eschew Coolness in Favor of Intelligence. Use a High Power DaytimeFront Flashing Light.

Old September 21st 13, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Eschew Coolness in Favor of Intelligence. Use a High Power DaytimeFront Flashing Light.

Follow the lead of motorcycles and always have a high power light, at
least 500 lumens, on in the daytime. Use it in flash mode.

A daytime flashing light greatly increases your visibility to oncoming
traffic and reduces the probability of a driver cutting you off by
turning in front of you.

It may be uncool to put a light on a 14 pound carbon fiber bicycle, but
eschew coolness. You can get a 700 lumen, USB rechargeable, light for
about $75, and it weighs less than 150 grams (about 1/3 pound).

Old September 21st 13, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:11:47 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
Follow the lead of motorcycles and always have a high power light, at

least 500 lumens, on in the daytime. Use it in flash mode.

A daytime flashing light greatly increases your visibility to oncoming

traffic and reduces the probability of a driver cutting you off by

turning in front of you.

It may be uncool to put a light on a 14 pound carbon fiber bicycle, but

eschew coolness. You can get a 700 lumen, USB rechargeable, light for

about $75, and it weighs less than 150 grams (about 1/3 pound).

What % of the cost of these lights do you get? That's about the only reason I can see for you to continue your promotion of these flashing lights for regular daylight use. They just aren't needed in bright daylight. And a very bright flashing light in full darkness is very annoying to other bicyclists.

Cheers
Old September 21st 13, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:45:32 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

He can legitimately believe that a flasher will make you more visible during the day. Maybe they do, but based on my daily commute with other cyclists, the most visible are those wearing high visibility clothing. I see those fluorescent yellow-green jackets way before the flashers during the daytime. Flashers are good at dawn and dusk, though. I run the flasher as a punitive measure in one part of my morning commute where there is a lot of traffic entering from the right. I also move farther in to the lane to improve sight lines. It's the Frank-Steve approach. My commute will be in the dark soon, and then I'll just run a solid beam.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 22nd 13, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, September 21, 2013 11:23:45 PM UTC+1, nmp wrote:

Flashing lights make drivers think "what the **** is that!" before it

makes them think "oh there's something there I have to watch out for".

That's way better than "what the **** did I just drive over".

Andre Jute

Old September 22nd 13, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 09/21/2013 07:11 AM, sms wrote:
Follow the lead of motorcycles and always have a high power light, at
least 500 lumens, on in the daytime. Use it in flash mode.

A daytime flashing light greatly increases your visibility to oncoming
traffic and reduces the probability of a driver cutting you off by
turning in front of you.

It may be uncool to put a light on a 14 pound carbon fiber bicycle, but
eschew coolness. You can get a 700 lumen, USB rechargeable, light for
about $75, and it weighs less than 150 grams (about 1/3 pound).

Good lord you're a pathetic shill.

It wouldn't be so bad if you actually gave good advice, but you can't
even do that. It'd still be OK if you could learn from people who know
what they're talking about, but you apparently can't do that either.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 22nd 13, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

we're doing better than the ****ights and Christians but another intelligent women went down plus two zombies in NH.

very depressing. ride in a group.

pull over.

Old September 22nd 13, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/21/2013 3:06 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

He can legitimately believe that a flasher will make you more visible during the day.

Of course I can legitimately believe it because there's a mountain of
evidence that says that it's true.

Here's the deal--when you're going fast, such as on a long downhill run,
oncoming vehicles have a difficult time seeing you and judging how far
away you are, and will do stupid things, like turning left in front of
you, if they misjudge your speed and distance. The flashing light gives
them pause, and makes it much less likely that they'll cut you off.

It may be considered to be in poor taste to point out this fact at this
time, and I know that a few people will never look at the scientific and
statistical evidence because it conflicts with their own ingrained
beliefs, but hopefully most people will be willing to consider the
facts, use common sense, and take appropriate actions.

Note that it doesn't really cost you any more to have a front flashing
daytime light (assuming you have good lights for night riding already).
Nearly every battery powered, bicycle specific, light sold in the U.S.
includes a flash mode.

Old September 22nd 13, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Sunday, 22 September 2013 01:47:29 UTC+1, sms wrote:
On 9/21/2013 3:06 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

He can legitimately believe that a flasher will make you more visible during the day.

Of course I can legitimately believe it because there's a mountain of

evidence that says that it's true.

Here's the deal--when you're going fast, such as on a long downhill run,

oncoming vehicles have a difficult time seeing you and judging how far

away you are, and will do stupid things, like turning left in front of

you, if they misjudge your speed and distance. The flashing light gives

them pause, and makes it much less likely that they'll cut you off.

Hmmm. SOLD It's actually been oncoming overtaking vehicles on NSL roads I have been most exposed to risk. When going downhill at 55mph+ there is not time to weave so that an half blind oncoming M/C at ton+ (or car at 50mph+) will see and pull back in.

It may be considered to be in poor taste to point out this fact at this
time, and I know that a few people will never look at the scientific and
statistical evidence because it conflicts with their own ingrained
beliefs, but hopefully most people will be willing to consider the
facts, use common sense, and take appropriate actions.

Note that it doesn't really cost you any more to have a front flashing
daytime light (assuming you have good lights for night riding already).
Nearly every battery powered, bicycle specific, light sold in the U.S.
includes a flash mode.

Nah, it specifically needs to be a BRIGHT flasher for daytime use, particularly on NSnoL roads.

Old September 22nd 13, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, September 21, 2013 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, thirty-six wrote:
[...]

To be VERY VISIBLE in BRIGHT DAYLIGHT that light isgoing to need to be very bright indeed. Therefore it will be too bright to use in flashing mode at night wherever it's quite dark without that flashing light blinding or otherwise being extremely annoying to other road users including other bicyclists.

Cheers
Old September 22nd 13, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 9/21/2013 5:06 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
Flashers are good at dawn and dusk, though. I run the flasher as a punitive measure

Putative measure?

--
T0m $herm@n