WA is a dangerous place for cyclists

Old December 3rd 04, 01:59 AM
bjay

Default WA is a dangerous place for cyclists

In the news yesterday were two items about two separate incidents in which a
cyclist was killed.
The first happened near Balladonia and was about a tourist crossing the
Nullarbor being sucked under a truck as it passed. http://tinyurl.com/427r6

The second was about someone finding a cyclist dead in their front yard on
the out skirts of Perth (semi country area) who apparently had crashed
somehow, hit their head and died. Couldn't find a link to this one. No
report as to whether he was wearing a helmet or not. Has anyone heard any
more about this story?

Scary stuff. Thankfully this is a rare coincidence.

Bjay

Old December 3rd 04, 02:11 AM
Marty Wallace

"bjay" wrote in message
In the news yesterday were two items about two separate incidents in which

cyclist was killed.
The first happened near Balladonia and was about a tourist crossing the
Nullarbor being sucked under a truck as it passed.

http://tinyurl.com/427r6

The second was about someone finding a cyclist dead in their front yard on
the out skirts of Perth (semi country area) who apparently had crashed
somehow, hit their head and died. Couldn't find a link to this one. No
report as to whether he was wearing a helmet or not. Has anyone heard any
more about this story?

Scary stuff. Thankfully this is a rare coincidence.

Bjay

WA is only dangerous for people that get run over by trucks or fall off
their bikes whilst not wearing a helmet. Other than that it's actually a
pretty safe place.

On the radio they said that the second incident involved a 15 year old boy
riding to (or from) school by himself. I think it was in Greenmount, which
might be a suburb near Perth.

Marty

Old December 3rd 04, 03:49 AM
hippy

"Marty Wallace" wrote
WA is only dangerous for people that get run over by trucks or fall off
their bikes whilst not wearing a helmet. Other than that it's actually a
pretty safe place.

...and full of good looking women on the beaches according
to my recently returned mate! Anyone up for a Nullabor
crossing? ;-)

hippy

Old December 3rd 04, 03:56 AM
Marty Wallace

"hippy" wrote in message
"Marty Wallace" wrote
WA is only dangerous for people that get run over by trucks or fall off
their bikes whilst not wearing a helmet. Other than that it's actually a
pretty safe place.

..and full of good looking women on the beaches according
to my recently returned mate! Anyone up for a Nullabor
crossing? ;-)

hippy

Plenty of eye candy at Busso hippy.
Start training now!

Marty

Old December 3rd 04, 04:07 AM
Mike

bjay wrote:

The first happened near Balladonia and was about a tourist crossing the
Nullarbor being sucked under a truck as it passed. http://tinyurl.com/427r6

Sucked? Your linked article mentioned "disturbed by the draft", but that
wouldn't normally cause a collision. Maybe a road train could do it?
Its worth getting well off the road when those things are coming
anyway. Maybe he had headphones on?

The second was about someone finding a cyclist dead in their front yard on
the out skirts of Perth (semi country area) who apparently had crashed
somehow, hit their head and died. Couldn't find a link to this one.

I saw this on the news. It was on Greenmount Hill, a long road down the
escarpment into Perth. It has an arrestor bed for runaway trucks, but
isn't steep or winding enough to be considered dangerous for bikes. You
can coast all the way down without brakes, at around 50km/hr.
The cyclist was on a mountain bike. He was NOT wearing a helmet.
Maybe an inexperience rider going too fast and lost control.

Old December 3rd 04, 05:25 AM
hippy

"Mike" wrote in message
Sucked? Your linked article mentioned "disturbed by the draft", but that
wouldn't normally cause a collision. Maybe a road train could do it?
Its worth getting well off the road when those things are coming
anyway. Maybe he had headphones on?

Musta had 'em CRANKED to fail to notice a road train!

hippy

Old December 3rd 04, 05:31 AM
hippy

"Marty Wallace"
Plenty of eye candy at Busso hippy.
Start training now!

I AM training.. just not for tri's..

I don't think I'll ever have the low body fat % that
the Iron People (tm) have. As a sprinter, following
Ryan Bayley's diet plan, I'm obliged to consume a
bucket of KFC (I substitute F&C) and at least half
a cow at each meal... washed down with the new
Beefcake 6000 super-mega power protein booster
shake.

hippy
"Moooo!"

Old December 3rd 04, 06:46 AM
Peter McCallum

hippy wrote:
"Marty Wallace" wrote
WA is only dangerous for people that get run over by trucks or fall off
their bikes whilst not wearing a helmet. Other than that it's actually a
pretty safe place.

..and full of good looking women on the beaches according
to my recently returned mate! Anyone up for a Nullabor
crossing? ;-)

Just because the Nullabor has a lot of sand doesn't mean it's a beach

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old December 3rd 04, 07:06 AM
hippy

"Peter McCallum"
hippy wrote:
"Marty Wallace" wrote
WA is only dangerous for people that get run over by trucks or fall

off
their bikes whilst not wearing a helmet. Other than that it's actually

pretty safe place.

..and full of good looking women on the beaches according
to my recently returned mate! Anyone up for a Nullabor
crossing? ;-)

Just because the Nullabor has a lot of sand doesn't mean it's a beach

hehehe.. you KNOW what I mean :-P

When I win tatts and retire (better start buying tickets..)
then I'll ride around Oz. A Nullabor crossing will be
mandatory.. you'll probably see my rescue on the news ;-)

hippy

Old December 3rd 04, 03:15 PM
aeek

hippy Wrote:

When I win tatts and retire (better start buying tickets..)
then I'll ride around Oz. A Nullabor crossing will be
mandatory.. you'll probably see my rescue on the news ;-)

HIPPY RESCUES NULLABOR

I can see it now.

--
aeek

Gaining Access to a Gym (or other indoor riding place.) jsm Unicycling 3 December 3rd 04 09:31 AM
Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM
Recombent tires, best place to get? PAUL BABY Marketplace 0 August 25th 04 03:58 PM
u.r.c stats for 2003 Steve McGinty UK 10 January 12th 04 07:05 PM
Place Names Richard Bates UK 31 July 30th 03 08:33 PM