Total wheel Failure

Old June 6th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Total wheel Failure

Not mine, but a friends.

Your thoughts?

Currently the server is slow, so it may take a bit to load.

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=201510

Old June 6th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Not mine, but a friends.

Your thoughts?

Currently the server is slow, so it may take a bit to load.

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=201510

I forgot to mention that there are pics, and that this is a pretty
unique wheel failure.

Surely someone . . . .??

Old June 6th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 6 Jun 2006 11:47:24 -0700, wrote:

Not mine, but a friends.

Your thoughts?

Currently the server is slow, so it may take a bit to load.

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=201510

Dear D.,

Your friend's wheel failure is so lurid that I'm shamelessly posting
links to the pictures and copying your friend's text, since your
server is slow and there's some prejudice against bikeforums:

http://members.cox.net/younggg/Wheel1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/younggg/Wheel2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/younggg/Wheel3.jpg

****
Facts are as follows:

This wheel was 36-spoke, 3-cross, custom built, tensioned, and true.
The wheel had about 500 miles on it when it detonated.
The tire was a WTB Slickisaurus 700x37c inflated to (Mfg. recommended)
85 psig.
The tube showed about a 9-inch-long smooth split on the spoke-side of
the tube.
The rim tape was not punctured
The wheel detonated with a bang on smooth pavement at about 19 mph
The rim did NOT fail at the weld - the weld is still intact.
The wheel bead showed no signs of damage other than where it was
punctured by the broken rim
The LBS does NOT think this was caused by the bead coming loose from
the rim (their opinion)

Questions:

What caused this rim to fail?
What can I do to prevent this from happening again? (I'm lucky to be
alive)
Does Mavic owe me another wheel?
I have three other wheels with the same rims - am I at risk from them
too?
***

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 6th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

If you read the entire thread, there is additional information
including some statements from the actual wheel builder, who is very
involved in trying to figure out the cause of this "unique" failure.

Old June 6th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[Nom] schreef:
Not mine, but a friends.

Your thoughts?

Currently the server is slow, so it may take a bit to load.

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=201510

- any hole in the ground?
- sewer cover?
- grating?
- tram rail?

Have a CXP 33 myself as well (4 pcs) lasted 6000 / 500 km yet and still
counting.

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old June 6th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Not mine, but a friends.

Your thoughts?

Currently the server is slow, so it may take a bit to load.

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=201510

Wow, when the rim cracked it blew the seat off too!

-nate

Old June 6th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Martin Borsje wrote:
[Nom] schreef:
Not mine, but a friends.

Your thoughts?

Currently the server is slow, so it may take a bit to load.

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=201510

- any hole in the ground?
- sewer cover?
- grating?
- tram rail?

Have a CXP 33 myself as well (4 pcs) lasted 6000 / 500 km yet and still
counting.

--

I would refer you to the thread, where all of this and more is
discussed in some detail. As I understand it, smooth pavement, 19 mph,

Old June 6th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Martin Borsje wrote:
[Nom] schreef:
Not mine, but a friends.

Your thoughts?

Currently the server is slow, so it may take a bit to load.

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=201510

- any hole in the ground?
- sewer cover?
- grating?
- tram rail?

Have a CXP 33 myself as well (4 pcs) lasted 6000 / 500 km yet and still
counting.

--

I would refer you to the thread, where all of this and more is
discussed in some detail. As I understand it, smooth pavement, 19 mph,
BLOOEY!
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

I quote from the thread and the person to whom this happened:

"What were you doing when the wheel broke?

I was riding on smooth pavement at 19mph. I was about 40 minutes into
my daily ride. No potholes, no debris - smooth pavement.

What did you hit or what hit you?

No collision whatsoever. One moment everything was normal, the next, I
was sliding down the road on my butt. I believe when the wheel
detonated, I was thrown up. When I came down, the seatpost bolt broke
and dumped me off the back of the bike. Luckily, I didn't land on the
seatpost or the broken rim or I'd not be here now.

Why does the wheel appear to be too big for the bike?

Must be an artifact of the photo - the bike is a Klein Navigator
touring frame made for (and with clearance for) the 700x37c tires that
are on the bike."

Old June 6th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ron Ruff wrote:

Also note that the rim (CXP33) is designed for 28mm tires, but a 37mm
was mounted.

A lot of people use 37 mm or wider tyres on road rims, especially on
cyclocross bikes. Perhaps the most common example seen here in the
winter is the Nokian W240 studded tyre, size 40-622. Usually the wider
the tyre the lower the pressure, so the rim should be fine.

-as