The next president of the United States is a...cyclist

Old February 19th 04, 01:25 AM
Terry Morse

Default The next president of the United States is a...cyclist

Pete wrote:

However, not everyone who went there, at evey level of command,
was guilty of My Lai level crimes, as Kerry has said.

Kerry claimed that *everyone* who served in Vietnam was guilty? Come
now, that seems so outrageous that it demands a backup quotation. I
couldn't find anything even close to that in his 1971 testimony:

VIETNAM WAR VETERAN JOHN KERRY'S TESTIMONY BEFORE THE SENATE FOREIGN
RELATIONS COMMITTEE, APRIL 22, 1971

http://www.richmond.edu/~ebolt/histo...Testimony.html

That's the first time I've read it, and it's an impressive and
articulate statement from such a young man.

If I can find it, I would like to read his position paper on rim
anodizing.
Old February 19th 04, 02:34 AM
Pete

"Kevan Smith" wrote

Except Kerry didn't saY that. Who would? I mean, if even _I_ can see how

bad an
overgeneralization it is -- and you know how I love overgeneralizations --

then
why would Kerry make such a ridiculous claim?

Are you talking about his Congressional testimony or what?

Yes. To the Senate CFR
" These were not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day
basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command."

"...we are more guilty than any other body of violations of those Geneva
Conventions; in the use of free fire zones, harassment interdiction fire,
search and destroy missions, the bombings, the torture of prisoners, all
accepted policy by many units in South Vietnam. "

Notwithstanding the fact that some of these "winter soldiers" were not
soldiers at all, but just ringers.

Did those things happen? Yes! War is a nasty, ugly business. And sometimes
people get out of control. Dehumanize a shadowy enemy. Accidentally or on
purpose.

But you know as well as I do that soldiers/airmen/squids are usually just
regular people. In a war, regular people trying to survive.

How many in your old unit would perform acts like that? Not many. At a
platoon level, how many would try to stop it if one of their platoon members
were to go off? I know I would. And you would have as well.

As I said before, this happened a long time ago. Times change, people
change. I still don't like the guy...

Pete

Old February 19th 04, 03:48 AM
Pete

"Kevan Smith" wrote

You're trying to justify war crimes. Just so you know.

No, not justifying it. Realizing that, as humans, some of us are not above
doing that sort of thing. We have not evolved beyond that. Yet.

And it's not right when *anyone* does it.

Pete

Old February 19th 04, 05:21 AM
Eric S. Sande

What kind of bikes do you imagine the Secret Service riding?

Trek MTBs. That's what they ride now, the uniformed division at
least.

When they're not looking at their feet.

But I imagine a bicycling President, especially a roadie, would get
the same motorcade level protection as if he/she travelled by car.

More likely the USSS wouldn't let it happen.

They'd have to ride a cruiser inside the WH like Clinton did.

It's all on the Web.

If some future President chose to ride it wouldn't be in DC, IMHO.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old February 19th 04, 05:41 AM
Eric S. Sande

And it's not right when *anyone* does it.

Agree with that. I've got problems, you've got problems, Kerry has
problems.

But if I can't have Clark, I'll take Kerry.

W has BIG problems.

Isn't Kerry married to the catsup heiress? And catsup is big business
in America. What would you rather have, catsup or oil?

Peace or war?

Honorable service or drinks and politics at the O club?

It's a couple of patricians squaring off, Pete, you and I are just
humble albeit conservative cyclists.

You'll notice Halliburton is running "we're the bipartisan good
guys" commercials lately, that's a clear endorsement of the war that
no thinking non-investor in Halliburton wanted.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old February 19th 04, 06:29 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Eric S. Sande" writes:

But if I can't have Clark, I'll take Kerry.

I think Americans could go far with a President who's like
Eleanor Roosevelt. She was cool.

I've heard it said that the best leaders are the ones that
have to be dragged kicking & screaming to office. Maybe
a system where those elected don't even know they were
nominated is called for.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old February 19th 04, 06:50 AM
Eric S. Sande

But if I can't have Clark, I'll take Kerry.

I think Americans could go far with a President who's like
Eleanor Roosevelt. She was cool.

Well, she wasn't as weird as Nancy Reagan.

I've heard it said that the best leaders are the ones that
have to be dragged kicking & screaming to office. Maybe
a system where those elected don't even know they were
nominated is called for.

Sooner or later we'll elect a President that is a paragon of
virtue. In the mean time we'll have to settle for politicians.

--

------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
cyclist shoots motorist Steven M. O'Neill General 145 February 19th 04 01:49 AM
Peace Themed Jerseys? William Paling General 512 January 21st 04 11:55 PM
Hog attacks cyclist in Hong Kong Scott Munro General 4 September 16th 03 05:05 PM
A Tale of Two Septembers Don't do it General 4 September 12th 03 02:00 PM