Chichester: dangerous cyclists again

Old May 17th 12, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_5_]

Default Chichester: dangerous cyclists again

http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/loc...ntre-1-3849286

Disgruntled residents have voiced their concerns about cyclists - who are
mounting pavements and riding through the city when it is off-limits. A
number of cyclists are also startling pedestrians by riding dangerously
close without any warning.

During the hours of 9.30am-5.30pm, cycling through the city centre is out of
bounds.

However, these instructions are being ignored by some cyclists and causing
distress to those out walking.

Kay Mepstead, 52, from Bracklesham Bay, said: "I am fed up with the bikes,
it is very annoying them constantly going through the city centre; sometimes
it seems like they're trying to run you over." Mrs Hance, 68, from the
Witterings, said: "I nearly got run over the other day walking down North
Street. I was walking along and three youngsters on bikes came up behind me,
I didn't hear them coming and only just got out of the way. It is very
dangerous, my husband is disabled and it is quite worrying."

She added: "In Wittering they have introduced a £30 fine for cycling on the
pavements and I haven't seen a bike on the pavement since."

The issue of unsafe cycling in the city centre raises the question of what
is being done to tackle the problem.

PCSO Daniel Sibun, from the Chichester Neighbourhood Policing Team, said:
"Cycling on the pavement and within the precinct of the city centre has been
identified by local residents as a significant problem.

are actively targeting repeat offenders, educating them about the
restrictions and potential dangers that they pose."

He added: "Those who become repeat offenders will be issued with a fixed
penalty notice. We will continue to listen to the concerns of our local
residents and deal robustly with any person caught cycling on the pavement
or within the precinct."

Old May 17th 12, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Route details confirmed for next month's National Road Race Championships

QUOTE:
British Cycling has officially launched this year’s 2012 National Road
Race Championships in Ampleforth, North Yorkshire, with riders from
Rapha Condor Sharp, IG Sigma Sport, Team UK Youth and Node 4 – all due
to compete in the Halfords Tour Series in Durham this evening – also
attending this morning’s formal presentation of the route to be used
on 24 June.

Both the men’s and women’s races will start and finish at Ampleforth
College, with the women covering seven laps of a rolling 15.2km
circuit for a total distance of 107km. The defending champion is
Lizzie Armitstead who comes from Otley, West Yorkshire, around 50
kilometres to the south west.

The men’s race starts off with three laps of a 30.4km circuit that
passes by the remains of Byland Abbey and through the villages of
Coxwold, Oulston, Crayke and Brandsby prior to an ascent towards
Yearsley.

The riders then complete six laps of a shorter, 15.3km circuit, with a
total race distance of 182km. As with the women’s race, each lap will
see the riders pass through the grounds of Ampleforth college as well
Ampleforth Village, Yearsley Moor and Gilling East.

The current champion is, of course, Bradley Wiggins Team Sky riders
have managed a clean sweep of the podium in each of the past two
editions, with Geraint Thomas triumphing in 2010.

Race organiser Bob Howden said: “It's great to welcome the national
road champs back to Yorkshire. Whenever the race has visited the
region it’s provided memorable racing and we have a course and a
location befitting of a race of this stature in store for the riders
in June.”

Jonny Clay, Cycle Sport and Membership Director at British Cycling
added: "The winners of the last three National Road Race championships
have nine Olympic and 22 World championship medals between them, a
reflection of what it takes to win this event these days in both Men’s
and Women’s categories.

“The course in and around Ampleforth is a challenging and impressive
backdrop for this event that will no doubt provide a worthy winner on
the day."

More information regarding the event can be found on the British
Cycling website

http://road.cc/content/news/58460-ro...-championships

--
Simon Mason
Old May 17th 12, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Mr Benn wrote:
[...]

priorities and are actively targeting repeat offenders, educating
them about the restrictions and potential dangers that they pose."

He added: "Those who become repeat offenders will be issued with a
fixed penalty notice. We will continue to listen to the concerns of
our local residents and deal robustly with any person caught cycling
on the pavement or within the precinct."

I wonder why cyclists are hell bent on their own destruction?

Old May 17th 12, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 17 May 2012 14:38:23 +0100, "Mr Benn" wrote:

http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/loc...ntre-1-3849286

I love the comments:

Simplesimon
Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 02:55 PM

I agree with the other two posters. It really is time that the police clamped
down on this selfish attitude of cyclists. The footpaths are for pedestrians I
think that over recent years many people have developed very strong views as a
result of the way many give all cyclists a bad name.

Don't ask me what I think about cycling jumping red-lights!!!

Old May 17th 12, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On May 17, 2:40*pm, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
British Cycling has officially launched this year’s 2012 National Road
Race Championships in Ampleforth, North Yorkshire, with riders from
Rapha Condor Sharp, IG Sigma Sport, Team UK Youth and Node 4 – all due
to compete in the Halfords Tour Series in Durham this evening – also
attending this morning’s formal presentation of the route to be used
on 24 June.

That is uncanny - we were in Ampleforth three days ago after walking
out at Rosedale Abbey.
A lovely part of the country.

--
Simon Mason
Old May 17th 12, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On May 17, 2:40*pm, Simon Mason wrote:

Jonny Clay, Cycle Sport and Membership Director at British Cycling
added: "The winners of the last three National Road Race championships
have nine Olympic and 22 World championship medals between them, a
reflection of what it takes to win this event these days in both Men’s
and Women’s categories.

“The course in and around Ampleforth is a challenging and impressive
backdrop for this event that will no doubt provide a worthy winner on
the day."

I can vouch for that it has lots of 20% hills around the course, so
they will need some very low gears indeed.

--
Simon Mason
Old May 17th 12, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_5_]

news
wrote:

http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/loc...ntre-1-3849286

I love the comments:

Simplesimon
Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 02:55 PM

I agree with the other two posters. It really is time that the police
clamped
down on this selfish attitude of cyclists. The footpaths are for
pedestrians I
think that over recent years many people have developed very strong views
as a
result of the way many give all cyclists a bad name.

And this one:

The arrogance of some cyclists is unbelievable in respect to cycling on
pavements. Last weekend passing the tennis courts a family of three, well
dressed, middle class cyclists approached in single file on the pavement and
despite some reluctance on our part to leap out of their way they continued
to squeeze past us. The lead male cyclists also managed a smirk, as if to
challenge us to challenge them. They are intimidating and clearly ignorant
of the £30 fine that should be thrown at each offender. A nice £90 earner
for the council I would have thought. These are supposed to be people of
standing or good manners? One day an elderly person, a blind or deaf person
or a child will fall foul of these idiots and then there will be an outcry
about bad drivers who make cyclists ride on the pavements. But we must
remember, cyclists are NOT INSURED so what happens if they serious injure
someone? I've had enough of them, young, old or just plain stupid! If they
feel unsafe on the road stop cycling but stay OFF the pavements!

Old May 17th 12, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On May 17, 2:40*pm, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:

Race organiser Bob Howden said: “It's great to welcome the national
road champs back to Yorkshire. Whenever the race has visited the
region it’s provided memorable racing and we have a course and a
location befitting of a race of this stature in store for the riders
in June.”

Indeed - that is because we are a really friendly bunch here in
Yorkshire.
I am sure Mr Pounder will testify to that.

--
Simon Mason