How old were you when you got your first really nice bike?

Old September 13th 03, 03:15 PM
trg

Default How old were you when you got your first really nice bike?

"Skip" a écrit dans le message de
et...
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was

it?

1970 (I was 15 at the time) -- a Gitane Tour de France (Reynolds 531
double-butted throughout, tubular tires, $199.50 new)

1973 Gitane Tour de France for my 13th birthday. Like other big ticket items
that I wanted, I had to pay 1/2 of it and my parents paid the other half. I
shovelled sidewalks that winter to get my half of the $140. I ended up
growing too big for it and giving it to a girlfriend.

---

Old September 13th 03, 03:19 PM
H. M. Leary

Brink wrote:
: How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was
: it?

: I got a cheap mountain bike from the local bike shop at age 21.(
: Mongoose hiltopper)

: I got a really nice road bike this year at age 29. (Tommasini techno
: ultegra components)

: Why did i wait so long?

: Well at least i saw the light!

: ----Brink

1957 at age 13

My father brought home a Raleigh, built in Nottingham, England ( I think ).

Black and white fenders, chain guard, Sturmey Archer 3 speed, generator light,
and wicker basket!

Oh what a beauty!

HAND

Old September 13th 03, 04:51 PM
salmoneous

How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was
it?

I was 8. My parents got something at a garage sale. It was single
speed (I was trendy waaaaay ahead of my time) had a banana seat and
was the best d*mn bike ever. I rode that bike more often and had more
fun than on anything I've ever owned or ever will.

If you are asking what was my first LBS bike, it was a Univega 10
speed (actually, by then I think they were up to 12 speeds) my
freshman year of college.

On a scale from 0-100, having no bike is a 0, XMart bikes come in at
90, and all the flavors of "really nice bike" just fill up 91-100.
Old September 13th 03, 05:13 PM
Stash

"Brink" wrote in message
om...

snip

How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was
it?

Mid 20's; bought my new Schwinn Suburban around 1978. Made the mistake of
selling it in 1984.

---Stash

Old September 13th 03, 05:49 PM
Golightly F.

"Brink"
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was
it?

1958 11 years old. Delivered papers and save my money... can remember
ordering the bike and pickin' up the box from a store front in downtown
Seattle. Don't remember the brand but it was a down-sized version of the
brothers/sisters big old balloon tire bikes, (with gas tank).

Used it to ride (commute) to School.

fwiw

Old September 13th 03, 07:00 PM
hnelson

"Golightly F." wrote in message
news

"Brink"
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was
it?

31 years old. Got a Centurion road/street bike (12sp?), Shimano gears, red.
Non euro choices at that time seemed to be Niko or Centurion. Niko was more
highly thought of and pricier. I think mine was $249 which was real bucks in
those days. Great for San Diego. La Jolla couple thousand people, Del Mar
less than 2000 persons. Easy riding from Encinitas to Pacific Beach. No MTB,
BMX, Cruiser, Comfort, yada yada in those days. Single or three speed Sears
level bikes or something imported from dedicated bike shop. Gave it away to
contractor's gofer working on my house in 1988.
Howard

---

Old September 13th 03, 10:22 PM
Dick Schoeller

I was 14 or 15. I don't remember the exact purchase date. Just
that it was 1973. This was during the "bike boom". I was doing
20-50 miles rides on a Columbia 10 speed that I had seriously
outgrown and I was looking to start doing centuries. I dumped a
bunch of birthday money and some savings (total about $200) into
it.

The bike is a Criterium Rex by Araya. 25" lugged frame in touring
dimensions, Suntour VGT derailleurs, Sugino cranks and BB, SR stem,
Taihei post and seat, Dia Compe brakes. It's had a bunch of
upgrades along the way (derailleurs and wheels) and it is still
going strong (put about 500 miles on it this summer).

I've got to say, some of things that others describe as "really
nice" were what I was trying to get away from when I bought this
bike. But guess, tastes vary.

--
Dick Schoeller

http://schoeller.ne.client2.attbi.com/
781.449.5476

"Er ist ein Narr, der meint, es sei nicht schad, das Kind
auszuschütten mit dem Bad" - Thomas Murner 1512

Old September 14th 03, 12:15 AM
M. Barbee

"Brink" wrote in message
om...
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike and what was
it?

My first bike was pretty nice. I was 7 and it was 1984. My dad was working
for True Temper Sports and they were doing work with Skyway bikes. (I don't
hear about that name brand bike anymore, but I remember one of my friends in
third grade who was into BMX racing was pretty impressed when I told him
the brand name.) So my dad got his hands on a Skyway frame and slowly
bought parts and built up the chrome frame to a single speed bike with
coaster brakes. I never had training wheels on it and just struggled around
with it in the back yard until I learned how to ride. I abused that bike to
no end and all I ever had to help my dad do was re-lube the chain and
rebuild the bottom bracket. I never wanted to get rid of it but as I got
into my teens I rode it less (yes I could still ride it then) and one day I
wasn't home and my mother sold it while she was having a yard sale.

I've only had three bikes as an adult, and I bought the first one two years
ago when I was 25. It was a Raleigh C-40. Not the nicest bike but I bought
it at the LBS and it held its own considering the price. Unfortuantely, it
was stolen.

Old September 14th 03, 03:38 AM

Kevan Smith /\/\ wrote:

: http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/Kuv...rP8240012b.jpg

: Does your chain always drag the ground like that?

Oh, that's a common question :-) The chain is pretty low on this
trike because of a 20" rear wheel and MTB style rear derailleur
with the long arm.

Depends. On the picture it's a bit soft sand so it's pretty bad
:-) On clean pavement it doesn't really matter as one has the 3 cm
of room at about all times. It also depends on the gearing and
length of chain as the derailleur arm swings back and forth...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old September 14th 03, 10:23 AM
Marian Rosenberg

wrote:
Kevan Smith /\/\ wrote:

:
http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/Kuv...rP8240012b.jpg

: Does your chain always drag the ground like that?

Oh, that's a common question :-) The chain is pretty low on this
trike because of a 20" rear wheel and MTB style rear derailleur
with the long arm.

Depends. On the picture it's a bit soft sand so it's pretty bad
:-) On clean pavement it doesn't really matter as one has the 3 cm
of room at about all times. It also depends on the gearing and
length of chain as the derailleur arm swings back and forth...

I have the bad feeling tht I smell a Project and you are going to give
me instructions on making one ... and that I might even feel motivated
and do such a thing.

How do you get one of those!?

-M