No Helmets Needed?

Old January 9th 06, 07:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default No Helmets Needed?

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

Thank God for Fox News here in
America.

Don't worry. We'll take that over, too.

fdlsgjlsfdgjl;fdgjl;fdsjgl;fjds
dsafjdsajflkdsjfladsjfldsaj
dsahfjdslfjdfjfkdgjfdsjgldsgj
fkdsahfkhdsafhkdsafhkdsafjk

You can quote your Howard Stern all you want.
We're still not impressed. We're not even
amused.

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old January 9th 06, 07:52 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

These RBM guys
got no staying power at all. Just say boo to them and they run and hide.

It's not us, it's you and your ugliness. I hate to be the one
to break it to you, but you've gotta sneak up on a glass of
water to get a drink.

No wonder you're so into hats.

I am still standing by waiting for you to say something intelligent.

Y'know, I actually have much admiration for folks who design & build
their own 'bents. They're a creative and constructive lot. And
they're a bunch of nice, intelligent people, like Tom Sherman.
They have my respect.

Maybe get yourself an oversized 10-gallon Stetson.
One that sits real low.

Old January 9th 06, 07:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

And I am a Conservative

Were you born that way, or did you suffer a head injury?

adfhdsafhkjdsahfjklaafjdsafhdsahfkdsafkhdsakfhadfk as

Well, /that/ answers my question.

Old January 9th 06, 08:05 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

You have to have a society in which charity can be operative. It is courage
which makes such a society possible. Otherwise, we would all be overrun by
Mongols and other assorted barbarians from the steppes of Central Asia.

Yeah, the Mongolian Expeditionary Force is gearing up right now
to airdrop (shaggy ponies 'n all) into Los Angeles, New York,
and Chicago.

Tom Keats benefits as much from the American military as do we Americans.
But, being Canadian, he does not share any of the burden.

Canada is still cleaning up your stoopid mess in Afghanistan.

Old January 9th 06, 08:54 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

In article .com,
" writes:

I believe that we should hold out for a return of the beaver fur hat
that was so popular many years ago. They are very elegant and they
would also provide us with an incentive to get rid of some of those
pesky little rodents.

The hats in the 30's and 40's were okay but not up to earlier standards

Actually, the underlayers of beaver fur was always favoured for the
secondary manufacture of hat-making felt. Until it was discovered
that sea otters' fur makes an even better felt.

What is now known as British Columbia originated with the slaughter
of so many sea otters so as to provide hats for Britain -- although
the region had previously been partially explored & exploited by
the Spanish and Russians. British Columbia history becomes quite
interesting when one realizes it wasn't "discovered" by canoe-paddling,
Scots-brogue-speaking HBC explorers sent out of Upper Canada, as so
many school textbooks would have it.

The indigenous Coastal folks seem to have preferred to make hats out
of botanical stuff that one might also weave into bicycle baskets.

cheers,
Tom

Old January 9th 06, 11:22 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

These RBM guys
got no staying power at all. Just say boo to them and they run and hide.

It's not us, it's you and your ugliness. I hate to be the one
to break it to you, but you've gotta sneak up on a glass of
water to get a drink.

No wonder you're so into hats.

I am still standing by waiting for you to say something intelligent.

Y'know, I actually have much admiration for folks who design & build
their own 'bents. They're a creative and constructive lot. And
they're a bunch of nice, intelligent people, like Tom Sherman.
They have my respect....

Thanks for the compliment, but to clarify I have not built any bicycle,
due to my "Red Green" level skills.

Here is a site that shows that Ed Dolan of Worthington is (hopefully)
the exception for Minnesotans:
http://mnhpva.org/MNbikes/builders.html.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 9th 06, 02:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

In article . com,
Johnny Sunset ) wrote:

The most annoying thing on larger group rides is when a cluster of
upright cyclists spread out and take up the whole road (or whole lane
when there is oncoming traffic) on a descent. This forces the rider on
an aerodynamic recumbent to ride the brakes all the way down the hill.
I am sure these same upright riders would be "****ing and moaning"
if a slow group of Fat Old Geezers (FOGs) on recumbents did the same on
an uphill section.

In much of my riding, anything more than single file makes it difficult
to get past. Though I did manage to scare the cr*p out of a couple of
lads going down towards Compton Abdale yesterday (as well as dropping
one of them going up the other side).

We had that Maurits C. Escher in to do some building work once. I
haven't been able to leave the house since.
Old January 9th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Edward Dolan wrote:

Yes, it is mainly young teenage farm girls who are into horse riding. They
especially like to do their thing at county fairs.

Oh, I thought it was mainly middle-aged dads who find something
irrresistible about a young girl riding a big horse.

I want Peter Clinch to stop telling us all about himself in his stupid
signature.

LOL -- do you read his signature through each time he posts? Then
how's he forcing his CV down your throat?

We only need to know one or two things about anyone on Usenet -
like maybe their name and where they are from.

So what about them pervo ricons here in NYC that's got flags and
boom-boxes all over their BIcycles? Now THAT's obnoxious!

You are remiss in the name
department yourself.

Oh, do advise.

Usenent is a public forum that anyone can tune into if they want. Rules
govern how we should behave here. Old Pete is essentially spamming us for no
purpose. He is beneath contempt.

Hehe...reminds me of the boy in kindergarten that insists he pulls the
girl's pigtails 'cause he hates her so much....

Well, yes, I need it for the occasional snakes and other critters you know.

Oh, I thought it was for fishing.

I simply can't stand Keillor. He is absolutely the world's biggest bore, bar
none.

ARE YOU NUTS?

bush limhog is the biggest bore, and I actually agree with many of his
evil repug prescriptions for a meaner society!

Besides that, he is the worst kind of liberal you can imagine. He
should have been a preacher. He surely is no entertainer.

He sounds better than he looks...obviously a 'bent rider!

Funny fella, though his "News from Lake Wobegone" is rather too often
my least favorite part of the show.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

A dash more disclosure than decorum dictates.

Old January 9th 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Peter Clinch wrote:

Actually, it can. A head with a helmet is bigger and heavier than one
without so more likely to get a head hit at all, and being bigger it
provides the extra leverage to add some interesting rotational leverage
to your neck and spine.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Well, it's a lesser-of-two-evils toss-up...I'll go with the horseback
riding helmet that's light, got vents, and covers the back of the head,
too, if I must wear one at these bike tours.

No Helmets Needed? NYC XYZ General 206 January 16th 06 01:08 PM
Bicycle helmets help prevent serious head injury among children, part one. John Doe UK 3 November 30th 04 03:46 PM
Does public health care pay for your head injuries? John Doe UK 187 November 30th 04 02:51 PM
Convincing people to use helmets Oliver Keating UK 391 February 25th 04 11:50 AM
Compulsory helmets again! Richard Burton UK 526 December 29th 03 08:19 PM