What is the ideal cycling jacket (for UK commuting)

Old October 16th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
ship

Default What is the ideal cycling jacket (for UK commuting)

Hi

What is the best cycling jacket for commuting (at reasonable speed in
UK)

I am looking for something that is:

b) HIGHLY BREATHABLE
a) Bright in colour /reflective at night
c) ultra-Compact
d) nearly(+) waterproof
e) COOL

Plus ideally:
f) aerodyamic/elastic??
g) fairly durable?

Budget: upto GBP 300.

So far I can't find ANYTHING on the market that is remotely
satisfactory.

For completely waterproof, the best I can find is Gore Paclite.
Costs about GBP120-160, which is fine.
The problem is it ISNT VERY BREATHABLE.

But on most days commuting in London I dont actually need
100% waterproof - just VERY shower resistant would do.

The big problem is keeping cool & getting rid of *SWEAT*
because I dont have a shower at work.

I have a Paramo (Model: "Alta"??) jacket that is very durable,
*massively*
breathable and though not *technically* waterproof it will keep
out even a down-poor. It has no membrane and is thus
implicitly resistant to puncturing and is highly durable...
It has vents for the armpits which is helpful too.
It's a fabulous jacket in the cold season in the scottish
mountains.

....BUT it's not elasticated and thus flaps around rather
and in any case it is FAR TOO HOT (& too heavy).
i.e. you cant compress it to fit into a pack very easily,
and you get far too hot when wearing it.
AND they dont make a bright yellow/pale orange varient
nor anything with reflectors on for night time use.

- So... any recommendations?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

P.S.
There are some very expensive (GBP 250-350 ) Gore jackets which I
havent been
able to find in any shop (in Central London) e.g. Evans Waterloo
didnt have them... But on their website at least they didnt seem
to have them in BRIGHT colours (just dark blues and blacks...)
e.g. "Gore Bikewear Concept Jacket" £349.99
e.g. "Gore Bikewear Fusion Jacket" £259.99

Old October 16th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Clive George

"ship" wrote in message
ups.com...

What is the best cycling jacket for commuting (at reasonable speed in
UK)

Have you tried any of the altura ones?

I've actually stopped wearing a jacket until proper winter comes - I let my
jersey get wet, since it would anyway from sweat.

cheers,
clive

Old October 16th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Art Harris

ship wrote:

I am looking for something that is:

b) HIGHLY BREATHABLE
a) Bright in colour /reflective at night
c) ultra-Compact
d) nearly(+) waterproof
e) COOL

Plus ideally:
f) aerodyamic/elastic??
g) fairly durable?

Budget: upto GBP 300.

"Waterproof" and "breathable" are mutually exclusive terms that no
amount of money will reconcile. Best advice is to get a decent "water
resistant" thin windbreaker with vented back and arm pits. Here in the
US, I bought an inexpensive Hind jacket a few years ago that's OK for
light rain, but not a heavy downpour.

Art Harris

Old October 16th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Chris Smith

ship wrote:
Hi

What is the best cycling jacket for commuting (at reasonable speed in
UK)

IMHO the only way to stay dry on top, and not boil-in-the-bag is with a
Big Yellow Cape. Sadly, you will take off in anything other than a light
breeze

I've gradually learned that survival in wet weather is about controlling
the degree of wetness; and not allowing yourself to get cold. This means
keeping your feet warm, and as dry as possible for as long as possible.
Let your legs get wet - there's nothing you can do about it really - if
you wear longs, the trapped moisture and hard work will keep your legs warm.

On top - wear a cheap windproof/showerproof jacket. I use a 4.99ukp
Regatta thing in the summer, and an Altura Nevis in the winter. Then
your usual wickable layers underneath - more layers in colder weather.

HTH
Chris
Old October 16th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Clinch

ship wrote:

I am looking for something that is:

b) HIGHLY BREATHABLE

As suggested elsewhere, "highly breathable" and waterproof don't come
together, with the possible exception of Paramo's Analogy kit but that
falls down on "ultra compact" and can be a bit warm if it isn't very
cold. Hey ho.

a) Bright in colour /reflective at night

The two don't come together, you'll need a bright colour and a separate
reflective system, scotchlite piping is probably more easily available
and it works well.

c) ultra-Compact
d) nearly(+) waterproof
e) COOL

Pertex hits all the bases above although it will only keep the worst of
the rain off. It's near as dammit windproof, but that does take away
the cooling effect of the wind. There are various pertex cycle tops
available.

Plus ideally:
f) aerodyamic/elastic??
g) fairly durable?

Pertex is actually pretty durable but not elastic. Something lie
Schoeller Dryskin would be stretchy, but probably a bit warm and I've
yet to see in hi-viz.

For completely waterproof, the best I can find is Gore Paclite.
Costs about GBP120-160, which is fine.
The problem is it ISNT VERY BREATHABLE.

But on most days commuting in London I dont actually need
100% waterproof - just VERY shower resistant would do.

The big problem is keeping cool & getting rid of *SWEAT*
because I dont have a shower at work.

I have a Paramo (Model: "Alta"??) jacket that is very durable,
*massively*
breathable and though not *technically* waterproof

Paramo kit is waterproof.

...BUT it's not elasticated and thus flaps around rather
and in any case it is FAR TOO HOT (& too heavy).

A pertex top is like a Paramo jacket without the lining. If you get a
close fit it'll not flap too much.

e.g. "Gore Bikewear Concept Jacket" £349.99
e.g. "Gore Bikewear Fusion Jacket" £259.99

Gore windproof stuff relies on laminates that while more breathable than
classic, Paclite and XCR Goretex are still not /that/ breatahble
compared to the laminate not being there. There's also stuff like the
Foska training tops which rely on a sandwich construction, but they're
not that cool. Ideal for winter though.

I'd be inclined to get something like the Foska top for cold days and a
close cut pertex top for more general use.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 16th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Pete Biggs

ship wrote:
Hi

What is the best cycling jacket for commuting (at reasonable speed in
UK)

I am looking for something that is:

b) HIGHLY BREATHABLE
a) Bright in colour /reflective at night
c) ultra-Compact
d) nearly(+) waterproof
e) COOL

Plus ideally:
f) aerodyamic/elastic??
g) fairly durable?

Ozzo September Jacket* is wind resistant, light & flouresent in colour,
packs up very small, highly breathable, smooth & quite close-fitting, and
lasts for years. Sew on some Scotchlite tape if you want reflectives. Not
water resistant - but please see my comments below. In the coldest weather
I find a Lusso Tactel gilet underneath is good for extra wind resistance
without causing over-heating.

* from www.mikedyason.com - http://tinyurl.com/ynb88d

So far I can't find ANYTHING on the market that is remotely
satisfactory.

I don't think you will do. On the minority of rides when it rains, accept
either the extra sweatiness from a waterproof jacket or just get wet from
the rain. In the dry, wear a good non-waterproof windproof jacket or gilet.

/snip
But on most days commuting in London I dont actually need
100% waterproof - just VERY shower resistant would do.

Most commutes in London there's no need for any water resistance at all.

Carry a separate waterproof - perhaps a racing-style jacket with vents.

~PB

Old October 16th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
POHB

ship wrote:
But on most days commuting in London I dont actually need
100% waterproof - just VERY shower resistant would do.
The big problem is keeping cool & getting rid of *SWEAT*
because I dont have a shower at work.

Does such a thing exist? I'd suggest putting a fresh work shirt in the
space in your bag that a waterproof would take and wearing some kind of
t-shirt for cycling. In colder weather wear two. It doesn't really
matter if you get rained on occasionally if you've something dry to
change into on arrival, even if you can't shower.

Old October 16th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
nobody760

As previous poster 'does anything like this exist'?

I would find jacket that suits your needs and then put a loose fitting
builders Day-Glo/night stripes waistcoat over it.

Old October 16th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole

ship wrote:
[...]

I agree that there doesn't seem to be a perfect wet weather solution.
For warm weather, I use a membrane type vest (Gore Activent). It folds
small and keeps the torso dry and doesn't trap sweat too badly. In cold
wet weather I bite the bullet and wear a heavier well-vented water
repellent coated jacket and live with the inevitable condensation. I
find that synthetic stretch fleece is about the best thing for wet
warmth, so I wear that under.
Old October 16th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Pete Biggs

nobody760 wrote:
As previous poster 'does anything like this exist'?

I would find jacket that suits your needs and then put a loose fitting
builders Day-Glo/night stripes waistcoat over it.

Would spoil the aerodynamics that the OP wants, and also would be too warm
most days in London. It's surprising how little material it takes to make
you over-heat when cycling hard. I can't wear my Lusso gillet all the time
and that's much much more minimal than one of those builders waistcoats.

~PB