Check out Lance at 16:06 into the Prologue

Old July 4th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Check out Lance at 16:06 into the Prologue

Just a head's up to watch & see if it's just Lance or everybody else
having a bit of issue with rear wheel slippage. First I noticed was on
the corkscrew-ish overpass about 2/3rds of the way through. No mention
from Phil or Paul, so I thought maybe I was seeing things, but looked at
it again and it might have been pretty close to something bad. Will be
interesting to hear from the riders afterward.

Look for it at 16:06 into his ride. Am I seeing things or what?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 4th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

No doubt it's those 'aged 6 years in a cellar' tires at fault.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...f5e23a147db275

Old July 5th 09, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
nobody

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:25:58 -0700, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com
wrote:

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
Just a head's up to watch & see if it's just Lance or everybody else
having a bit of issue with rear wheel slippage. First I noticed was on the
corkscrew-ish overpass about 2/3rds of the way through. No mention from
Phil or Paul, so I thought maybe I was seeing things, but looked at it
again and it might have been pretty close to something bad. Will be
interesting to hear from the riders afterward.

Look for it at 16:06 into his ride. Am I seeing things or what?

I sure don't know what the heck that was but it sure scared hell out of me.
It didn't seem to bother Lance at all though.

The rear wheel of his bike skipped or wobbled noticeably just after he
exited the start, maybe 5-10 seconds in. It looked to me as though the
rear wheel was unweighted too much, because he was pedalling standing
at the time (or just got up on the pedals). I imagine this would only
happen if one were riding an unfamiliar bike, and this can't be the
case.

Just happened to notice it in the evening show replay.

It seems odd that the post ride video on livestrong has no mention of
the bike hopping around, but that being so, perhaps you're right, it
was negligible to him.
Old July 5th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Nobody" wrote in message

The rear wheel of his bike skipped or wobbled noticeably just after he
exited the start, maybe 5-10 seconds in. It looked to me as though the
rear wheel was unweighted too much, because he was pedalling standing
at the time (or just got up on the pedals). I imagine this would only
happen if one were riding an unfamiliar bike, and this can't be the
case.

When you're accelerating hard it isn't uncommon for a strong man to jump the
rear wheel off of the ground. But the slip that we were talking about was
going around that round-about. His rear wheel skipped perhaps 2" or possibly
more and Lance didn't even seem to notice it.

Old July 5th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Jul 4, 7:45*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Just a head's up to watch & see if it's just Lance or everybody else
having a bit of issue with rear wheel slippage. First I noticed was on
the corkscrew-ish overpass about 2/3rds of the way through. No mention
from Phil or Paul, so I thought maybe I was seeing things, but looked at
it again and it might have been pretty close to something bad. Will be
interesting to hear from the riders afterward.

Look for it at 16:06 into his ride. Am I seeing things or what?

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

The twins kept going on and on about how "those bikes" weren't
designed for turning, were too stiff, etc. I don't know where they get
that stuff from, maybe memories from the 1980's. The tires and
geometries aren't that dissimilar, they use 700c front and rear,
there's not that much difference. They're simply going flat-out, and
stuff happens. IMO, the little glitch with LANCE's rear wheel wasn't
that big a deal.

Looked to me like LANCE and Levi were leaving some margin on the 2nd
half and not taking risks. Both probably lost 15 to 20 seconds by
doing so. With a 3 week race it made sense to me.

Brad Anders
Old July 5th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Paul B. Anders" wrote in message

Looked to me like LANCE and Levi were leaving some margin on the 2nd
half and not taking risks. Both probably lost 15 to 20 seconds by
doing so. With a 3 week race it made sense to me.

I wonder. It looked to me like Lance was giving it a pretty good try.

Old July 5th 09, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Jul 4, 7:07*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

When you're accelerating hard it isn't uncommon for a strong man to jump the
rear wheel off of the ground.

What the hell are you talking about? I read that and could only
think, 'where do you get this ****'?
Old July 5th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Scott wrote:

On Jul 4, 7:07*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

When you're accelerating hard it isn't uncommon for a strong man to jump the
rear wheel off of the ground.

What the hell are you talking about? I read that and could only
think, 'where do you get this ****'?

Well, if you're standing up and *really* far forward on the bike (knees just about
about hitting the bars), you can make the back wheel skip a little when you really
start really powering. But I doubt many pros ever get themselves into that position,
especially not someone like LANCE.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Old July 5th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KG[_2_]

On Jul 4, 8:47*pm, Howard Kveck wrote:
In article ,

*Scott wrote:
On Jul 4, 7:07*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

When you're accelerating hard it isn't uncommon for a strong man to jump the
rear wheel off of the ground.

What the hell are you talking about? *I read that and could only
think, 'where do you get this ****'?

* *Well, if you're standing up and *really* far forward on the bike (knees just about
about hitting the bars), you can make the back wheel skip a little when you really
start really powering. But I doubt many pros ever get themselves into that position,
especially not someone like LANCE.

Dumbass -

It's a Fred thing to do because it's inefficient. Waste of wattage.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Pre-prologue interview with LANCE Ryan Cousineau Racing 5 July 5th 09 06:21 PM
TdF prologue congokid UK 15 July 10th 07 09:28 AM
The prologue Tantale Racing 3 July 3rd 06 05:59 PM
Prologue Bob Schwartz Racing 1 May 6th 06 02:34 PM
Virtual win For Lance in Dauphiné prologue trg Racing 20 June 7th 05 11:05 PM