What else do I need

Old August 20th 08, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default What else do I need

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:36:44 +0100, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

suitable food including snacks,

Several people have said that!

I really don't see the point in lugging a whole load of food across
Europe to countries with excellent foods of their own.

Or am I missing something?

Is boiled sausage and pickled cabbage that bad! I know that snails
are truly repulsive, but France has some excellent cheeses. I'm not
sure what they eat in Luxembourg, but I am sure they have equally
nutritious foods.
Old August 20th 08, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:39:45 +0100, Martin
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:19:20 +0100, Colin McKenzie
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:13:23 +0100, "Jan"
Credit cards
In wallet
Best to have cash and cards in different places so you don't lose them
all at once.

Yes. I will keep a CC with my English cash in my tool kit.

Something I recently found out, it may be best to notify your bank and
CC companies that you are abroad. My bank (Barclays) has a habit of
stopping debit cards if they are used abroad, but their online banking
has a bit where you can notify them of trips abroad (possibly so they
can come around and rearrange your furniture whilst you are out ;-) ).

Nationwide Anglia has a comission free CC. I always put a couple of
hundred pounds into my account so they can't charge a "cash advance"
fee for a cash withdrawal. It doesn't stop them trying - but when the
statement comes through with a "cash advance" fee I politely point out
that they can't "advance" money which is already mine. And when they
say that I shoudn't put my credit card account into credit I ask why
it's called a credit account. About that time they give up and say
that as a gesture of goodwill they will waive the "cash advance" fee.
I don't bother to explain that waiving a "cash advance" fee when there
has been no "cash advance" is a nonsense, and what they are doing is
refunding a fee which shouldn't have been charged.

Anyway - putting a Nationwide Anglia credit card account into credit
is an excellent way to get cash abroad, even if you do end up paying
their 2.5% (minimum £3) "cash advance" fee. That is the only fee you
will pay and they use a real exchange rate - not a "buy at" and "sell
at" rate.
Old August 20th 08, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex Potter

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:39:08 +0100, Tom Crispin wrote:

Gas lamp

You'd probably do as well, if not better, with one of those LED torches
with a slider that converts it into a lantern. We used one on our camping
tour and it proved more than adequate for the short time we were awake
after dark in August, and weighed very much less.

--
Regards
Alex

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/
Old August 20th 08, 01:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Aug 20, 7:09 am, Tom Crispin
wrote:
On 19 Aug 2008 21:18:21 GMT, Roos Eisma wrote:

Sun cream

No. It runs into my eyes.

Get water-resistant stuff, and/or wear a sweatband. And you don't need
to plaster too much of it on your forehead. Of course if you aren't
going somewhere really sunny, it might not matter much. Living in
Japan, I don't get the option of grumbling that it runs into my eyes -
going without is not an option (at least when outside all day, I don't
bother for the commute).

James
Old August 20th 08, 02:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:38:58 GMT, Alex Potter
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:39:08 +0100, Tom Crispin wrote:

Gas lamp

You'd probably do as well, if not better, with one of those LED torches
with a slider that converts it into a lantern. We used one on our camping
tour and it proved more than adequate for the short time we were awake
after dark in August, and weighed very much less.

My gas lamp weighs about the same as two AA batteries. It screws onto
the top of Coleman gas canisters which I carry for cooking.
Old August 20th 08, 02:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeff[_6_]

Tom Crispin wrote:
Early Thursday morning I'm off on a ten day tour of the Rivers Mosel
and Rhine. Here's my packing list so far.

Rack pack
Tent
Sleeping mat
R. Pannier
Sleeping bag
Stove
Gas
Lighter

Being slightly (or more) paranoid, I'd put the ignition source (lighter)
in a different pannier than the fuel.
Old August 20th 08, 02:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Craig Wallace

wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:39:08 +0100, Tom Crispin wrote:

Gas lamp

You'd probably do as well, if not better, with one of those LED torches
with a slider that converts it into a lantern. We used one on our camping
tour and it proved more than adequate for the short time we were awake
after dark in August, and weighed very much less.

My gas lamp weighs about the same as two AA batteries. It screws onto
the top of Coleman gas canisters which I carry for cooking.

Are the screw on gas cylinders available where you're going? I've heard
that in France (and other parts of Europe?) only the piercable Camping
Gaz type are easily available.
You can get an adapter that lets you use the piercable cylinders with a
screw-on type stove (Coleman, MSR, etc)

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk
Old August 20th 08, 03:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Craig Wallace" wrote in message
et...

http://craig.neogeo.org.uk

idly browses

Got a route for that wades road/pylons tour?

cheers,
clive

Old August 20th 08, 04:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex Potter

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:54:24 +0100, Craig Wallace wrote:

Are the screw on gas cylinders available where you're going? I've heard
that in France (and other parts of Europe?) only the piercable Camping
Gaz type are easily available.

That was my experience in NL a couple of years ago. Pierce-ables
eveywhere, screw fitting much rarer.

--
Regards
Alex

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/
Old August 20th 08, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Tom Crispin :
Early Thursday morning I'm off on a ten day tour of the Rivers Mosel
and Rhine. Here's my packing list so far.

I don't see cable ties on your spares list...
--
David Damerell Oil is for sissies
Today is Aponoia, August.