Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

Old March 12th 04, 01:06 AM
Tom Sherman

Default Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

Edward Dolan wrote:

I especially like that part about the free hypodermic needle exchange
program and the free condoms. Just when you think you have heard every
foolishness that life has to offer, there is yet more to hear....

Prohibiting needle exchange programs does not reduce intravenous drug
use, but contributes to the spread of disease. Similarly, curtailing sex
education and birth control availability only increases the number of
unwanted pregnancies and the spread of STD's.

Mr. Dolan was born at least 50 years too late. He is not conservative,
but reactionary.

And since Mr. Dolan advocates at least the moderate use of a certain
mood altering drug (and acknowledges his own use of that drug), he
should not be so quick to condemn the use of other mood altering drugs.

Old March 12th 04, 01:13 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

That is the way it is done here in Minnesota too. You will never see a
homeless person living on the streets in any small town....

The police likely would pick them up and drop them off in the nearest
city large enough to support a homeless shelter.

Old March 12th 04, 01:14 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

As a great and powerful nation we will always have more than our share
of wars and consequently more than our share of veterans needing care
and support after the war is concluded. Dems and Repubs both to their
credit have for the most part been very supportive of the VA and its
mission as have the American people....

But the Cheney/Bush administration proposed cutting veterans benefits.

Old March 12th 04, 02:49 PM
Edward Dolan

Zippy the Pinhead wrote in message . ..

On 11 Mar 2004 16:01:16 -0800, (Edward Dolan) wrote:

As a great and powerful nation we will always have more than our share
of wars and consequently more than our share of veterans needing care
and support after the war is concluded.

As Lincoln said, "..to care for him who shall have borne the
battle..." -- and today, he'd say "him or her".

I've spent a lot of time in VA hospitals. The VA is still fighting
WWII and all the subsequent conflicts, major and minor, publicized and
unpublicized.

I think you misunderstood the intent of my post. I wasn't begrudging
veterans VA care. My comment was directed to the notion that so many
homeless men are Vietnam veterans. There are a great many fake
"Vietnam Combat Veterans" around.

I understood your post perfectly Zippy but I cannot let anything go by
when I can take off on something that is said and thereby extend the
conversation. That is why any thread that I contribute to ends up
wandering all over creation. I do know of course how to stick to a
subject but it is a lot more fun when one thought leads to another and
before you know it something of import is getting said to the surprise
and maybe consternation of all. I believe in serendipity. Others like
Cletus and Mikael do not like this sort of thing but they stay as far
away from me as I do from them.

It is interesting though that anyone would want to identify themselves
as Vietnam War combat veterans when for such a long time that
designation was not looked upon very favorably. I think that has
changed by now and so that is a good thing. My period of service was
after the Korean War and before the Vietnam War. We peacetime vets
went through our own particular version of hell too. But I never
compare what we went through to what wartime vets went through.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old March 12th 04, 03:28 PM
Edward Dolan

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

I especially like that part about the free hypodermic needle exchange
program and the free condoms. Just when you think you have heard every
foolishness that life has to offer, there is yet more to hear....

Prohibiting needle exchange programs does not reduce intravenous drug
use, but contributes to the spread of disease. Similarly, curtailing sex
education and birth control availability only increases the number of
unwanted pregnancies and the spread of STD's.

Mr. Dolan was born at least 50 years too late. He is not conservative,
but reactionary.

Yes, yes, but you are enabling disgusting and immoral behavior. But
that is what our society does with respect to everything. Were we not
all better off as a society when no one in their right (conservative)
mind would even consider enabling behavior (drugs and sex) that was
universally regarded as disgusting and immoral. If that is what being
a reactionary is, then I proudly plead guilty.

And since Mr. Dolan advocates at least the moderate use of a certain
mood altering drug (and acknowledges his own use of that drug), he
should not be so quick to condemn the use of other mood altering drugs.

I could no more become addicted to anything than J.C. Himself! The
main reason being I can't stand the expense of an addiction whether to
cheap wine or cheap sex. But I do find that a bit of vino helps me out
some when I am posting to Mr. Sherman. Left to my natural self I might
blow a gasket as I have one of this world's highest blood pressures -
240/120! So a bit of vino mellows me out and I can look on Mr.
Sherman's posts as the liberal ravings that they are and enjoy them as
a source of unending humor. Why should I go berserk and play into his
hands just because I know that that is his intention, namely, to drive
me stark raving mad with his infernal posts.

Now, as to the substance of what Mr. Sherman has said above, poor and
homeless people have no right to be engaging in disgusting and immoral
behavior (drugs and sex). After they get their lives on track by at
the minimum acquiring a roof over their heads, then that is time
enough to think about pursing happiness (disgusting and immoral
behavior). Until then, let them walk the straight and narrow.

In the old days, at least the Missions tried to see to that much
anyway. They would give you something to eat and a place to sleep
after you took stock of your miserable failure as a human being. In
other words, the Missions tried to give you a good swift kick in the
ass to get you to give up your disgusting and immoral behavior.

But what does our modern day liberal do? Hell Bells! He gives them
whatever it is they think they want and thinks he is doing them
favors. What he is really doing is enabling disgusting and immoral
behavior and thereby hastening their journey to the grave.

I will choose to be a reactionary any old day over being a liberal!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old March 12th 04, 03:36 PM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

That is the way it is done here in Minnesota too. You will never see a
homeless person living on the streets in any small town....

The police likely would pick them up and drop them off in the nearest
city large enough to support a homeless shelter.

Maybe so, but you are less likely to become homeless in a small town
in America because others will know who you are and it will be
considered very shameful to fail like that. We need to inculcate more
of a culture of shame in this country if that is what it takes to get
people to behave themselves. I believe Japan is the prime example of a
culture which elevates a sense of shame to the highest rung on the
ladder of morality. Are there any homeless in Japan I wonder?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old March 12th 04, 03:48 PM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

As a great and powerful nation we will always have more than our share
of wars and consequently more than our share of veterans needing care
and support after the war is concluded. Dems and Repubs both to their
credit have for the most part been very supportive of the VA and its
mission as have the American people....

But the Cheney/Bush administration proposed cutting veterans benefits.

Nothing ever gets cut anywhere in government expenditures. We all know
that by now. But if something does not get ever increased funding to
keep up with the minimum inflation, then your liberal considers that
to be a cut. I dare say the total expenditure for the VA will be
increased over what it was last year, just not as much as some would
like.

My support of Bush and the Repubs is not set in concrete however. If
they were to screw things up too badly, I would sit on my hands and
not vote at all. There is just no way in this world I could ever vote
for Kerry no matter what he might do for the VA. I do not put myself
and my interests ever above the interests of the nation.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old March 12th 04, 04:18 PM
Edward Dolan

"Freewheeling" wrote in message ...

Say, I just noticed this has strayed pretty far from the topic of mountain
lions dining on cyclists, hasn't it? Oh well.

Scott, once a subject thread has gone beyond 20 or 30 posts, it will
not only be OT, it will be way, way OT and no longer have any
relationship to the original topic. I have considered this particular
subject thread my own domain for quite some time now and it should of
course be labeled OT.

But maybe it is better not to do that as I do believe some on this
newsgroup are put off by a subject thread that is labeled OT, thinking
that it is nothing but invective and flaming. They are quite wrong
about that of course as it is possible to have wonderful conversations
with total strangers about important subjects without being super
conscious about it all the time if it were labeled OT. But for all
practical purposes, this subject thread is definitely OT now and
should be regarded as such by one and all.

Anyone who has anything to say about mountain lions and cyclists is
dead and gone by now and we are none of us here any longer interested
in that particular subject. We have gone on to other subjects and that
is as it should be.

You couldn't run your class like this nor would you want to, but this
is the wild and woolly world of the Internet where just about anything
goes! I prove that every time I post.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

PS. I have taken college courses where the professor would allow the
discussion to wander all over the place and then we never could find
the subject of the course again. When it came time to take the final
exams, we just all decided that we had all passed and that we had had
a very good course in the humanities and the liberal arts. Our minds
had ranged widely and we knew bits and pieces of knowledge that no one
else in the universe would know, not having taken this very particular
course from this very particular professor.
Old March 13th 04, 02:51 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

But what does our modern day liberal do? Hell Bells! He gives them
whatever it is they think they want and thinks he is doing them
favors. What he is really doing is enabling disgusting and immoral
behavior and thereby hastening their journey to the grave....

If we really wanted to eliminate "enabling disgusting and immoral
behavior", a near hundred percent inheritance tax would be a place to
start, as those who do not have to work for their money are often
foolish with it (and much else in their lives).

This reminds me, where has Skip gone?

Old March 13th 04, 03:48 PM
skip

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

If we really wanted to eliminate "enabling disgusting and immoral
behavior", a near hundred percent inheritance tax would be a place to
start, as those who do not have to work for their money are often
foolish with it (and much else in their lives).

This reminds me, where has Skip gone?

Been down way down south on the Suwanee River. I try to experience spring
in as many places as possible by going south and working my way back home
(which is north of south). Plus I've been bizzy, bizzy, bizzy looking for
new disgusting and immoral ways to squander my vast inheritance so in case I
ever die none of it will find its way into your grubby hands .

Aside from that I seem didn't miss much. All those who left in a snit are
back, except for Brian, who did the big goodbye, but apparently never
actually left. Recently though it appears he had to rush back to his own
message board because Randy Shlitter was over there going ballistic and
pulling his BROLE sponsorship over some posters having the audacity to
question the comfort of the Famous rans Seat.

At least Cletus didn't do another one of his big goodbye forever things to
the newsgroup, but I did see where he can't figure out how to filter the Ed
Threads even though he always uses the world's greatest newsreader. So
naturally he was compelled to read those Ed Threads (they must be hard to
follow with Ed being killfiled) the upshot of which was him to doing the big
goodbye forever to his riding buddy Freewheeling. And so it goes.

I also saw where you left arbr for a while causing Ed to have an anxiety
attack. Thankfully you found it in the goodness of your heart to return.
All is well.

On the political scene it looks as if I'll be voting for Nader again. My
friends tell me it's just another vote for GWB, but that's ok. It's less
taxing for us rich types than voting for Kerry plus I don't want Bush to
think he's got some kind of mandate like he had last time. Heh.

I've been polishing on the natural aluminum frame of my GRR, looking forward
to spring here at home, and hoping I'm in good enough shape to out run the
mountain lions. [1]

skip

[1] inane recumbent and mountain lion content added for the sake of those
on topic folks who share this newsgroup with us and demand no less