cleaning camelbak

Old July 3rd 06, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default cleaning camelbak

I've got a 3litre camelbak and forgot to clean it!! I've now got black
marks inside. I've done washing with hot soapy water and then milton
overnight inside the bag but the marks are still there. Any suggestions?
I've heard using denture tablets is a good one or are the camelbak cleaning
tablets any good?

Thanks

Gareth

Old July 3rd 06, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

gareth price wrote:
I've got a 3litre camelbak and forgot to clean it!! I've now got black
marks inside. I've done washing with hot soapy water and then milton
overnight inside the bag but the marks are still there. Any suggestions?
I've heard using denture tablets is a good one or are the camelbak cleaning
tablets any good?

Baking soda or mild bleach then rinse well (its on the current
Camelback instructions). If its inside the drinking tube you need one
of their tube cleaning brushes and you can also fit your hand inside
the bag with a cleaning cloth to wipe it off.

Tony

Old July 3rd 06, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

gareth price wrote:
I've got a 3litre camelbak and forgot to clean it!! I've now got black
marks inside. I've done washing with hot soapy water and then milton
overnight inside the bag but the marks are still there. Any suggestions?
I've heard using denture tablets is a good one or are the camelbak cleaning
tablets any good?

Thanks

Gareth

Mechanical cleaning with a strip of cotton cloth of whatever size you
can get in through the opening, and just the right amount of water (a
small amount found by trial and error) was a very effective method for
cleaning algae from the inside of glass vessels in my lab days.

You need to devise a way of causing the cloth to rub the surface where
the marks are, and the amount of water is critical to achieve this.

Wash out thoroughly and sterilise with Milton.

Old July 3rd 06, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven wrote:

Baking soda or mild bleach then rinse well (its on the current
Camelback instructions). If its inside the drinking tube you need one
of their tube cleaning brushes and you can also fit your hand inside
the bag with a cleaning cloth to wipe it off.

Tony

Just read Tony's post......if you can get your hand INSIDE?? the bag
then there's no problem.

Just wipe it off. If it wont budge you may have a permanent stain which
is likely harmless.

Old July 3rd 06, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

gareth price wrote:
I've got a 3litre camelbak and forgot to clean it!! I've now got black
marks inside. I've done washing with hot soapy water and then milton
overnight inside the bag but the marks are still there. Any suggestions?
I've heard using denture tablets is a good one or are the camelbak cleaning
tablets any good?

Thanks

Gareth

To clean the tube, remove it from the bladder by softening slightly in
hot water. Then obtain a piece of electrical cable that is about twice
the length of the tube. I find a length of 16/0.2 is thin enough and
strong enough. Next get a small piece of cotton cloth and knot the wire
around it in the middle of the wires length. Feed the wire into the tube
and so that it protrudes from the other end of the tube, this can be
helped by lubricating the inside of the tube with washing up liquid. You
can now pull the cloth from one end of the tube and back again until it
is nice and clean.

Simple and cost free.