Speed Humps

Old October 4th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Default Speed Humps

Paul Boyd wrote on 04/10/2006 18:52 +0100:
On 04/10/2006 16:04, POHB said,

I'd guess that most damage caused by humps is because folks have gone
over them too fast anyway

"Most" maybe, but there are a lot of humps that feel as if you're
driving over a kerb. Doing that regularly will cause more than usual
wear and tear on suspension.

I gather they removed the speed bumps in Helsinki after wrecking a few
snow ploughs in the first snowfall and having the city sued for repairs
to the underside of a low slung and expensive Ferrari.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old October 4th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

POHB wrote:

I'd guess that most damage caused by humps is because folks have gone
over them too fast anyway

Would you expect to be able to drive along a 30 mph limited road, at 30
mph (assuming that 30 mph was not excessive for the other conditions),
without damaging your vehicle?

--
Matt B
Old October 4th 06, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

I had a really heavy fall on one of these, off to hospital, the lot. It's a
big mistake to introduce actual hazards while citing safety.

In this I'd include overwide/ unnecessary central bollards, also projecting
pavement widenings. These are often unmarked.

--
John Clayton
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

"Tony Raven" wrote in message

Commiserations but write to the Council and inform them of the danger. I
find speed humps at night on a bike a real danger. The full width ones
knock you around a bit but the really bad ones are the square ones with
quite steep sides. Its only the white paint that picks them out from the
tarmac and if you hit the side unexpectedly it can throw you

Old October 4th 06, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

John Clayton wrote:
I had a really heavy fall on one of these, off to hospital, the lot.

You should report it to the police. The 'contributory factors' for
injury accidents are collected and reported, and used, to some extent,
to develop, and to justify, road safety policy.

The last report showed "Traffic calming" as a factor in 0% of all injury
accidents, probably because nobody ever reports it. The powers-that-be
will cite it as evidence for claiming humps never cause accidents.

--
Matt B
Old October 4th 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ian henden

"Matt B" wrote in message
John Clayton wrote:
I had a really heavy fall on one of these, off to hospital, the lot.

You should report it to the police. The 'contributory factors' for injury
accidents are collected and reported, and used, to some extent, to
develop, and to justify, road safety policy.

The last report showed "Traffic calming" as a factor in 0% of all injury
accidents, probably because nobody ever reports it. The powers-that-be
will cite it as evidence for claiming humps never cause accidents.

A few years back there was a speed hump on the road from Downton into the
New Forest. Built like the ski-jump flight deck of the Invincible (designed
to get planes aloft in an upwards direction)... killed a family... got
ripped up soon after.

Old October 4th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

ian henden wrote:
"Matt B" wrote in message
John Clayton wrote:
I had a really heavy fall on one of these, off to hospital, the lot.

You should report it to the police. The 'contributory factors' for injury
accidents are collected and reported, and used, to some extent, to
develop, and to justify, road safety policy.

The last report showed "Traffic calming" as a factor in 0% of all injury
accidents, probably because nobody ever reports it. The powers-that-be
will cite it as evidence for claiming humps never cause accidents.

A few years back there was a speed hump on the road from Downton into the
New Forest. Built like the ski-jump flight deck of the Invincible (designed
to get planes aloft in an upwards direction)... killed a family... got
ripped up soon after.

As a cyclist, I dislike speed humps. They cause discomfort and
confusion. As a parent, I am grateful for their probable saving of one
of my children from hurt, by having slowed down the car in front of
which he had stupidly walked. As a participant in transport groups I
also feel obliged to say that he might have been paying more attention
if the traffic had been able to go faster.

And humps have caused 4x4s, haven't they?

Old October 5th 06, 02:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

scott135 wrote:
My local Highways department has seen fit to create new speed humps . . .

[snip]

Dear Scott,

Here I was looking forward to seeing some racy posts--pardon the pun--
about rapid intercourse from the usually reserved British crowd.

But instead it's just about some new road bumps, possibly created by
your local Highways department sleeping with policemen.

Disappointedly,

Carl Fogel

Old October 5th 06, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

Little/ big bit of new news. Driving home (this time) down the same bit of
road.
Cyclist in front of me falls off on the first hump (I fell on the second
one). He seemed unhurt, certainly claimed so.
Blody buggaring things.

--
John "showing my bias" Clayton

Old October 7th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stevie D

Matt B wrote:

The last report showed "Traffic calming" as a factor in 0% of all
injury accidents, probably because nobody ever reports it. The
powers-that-be will cite it as evidence for claiming humps never cause
accidents.

One of my main gripes about speed humps, as we enter the darker and
wetter half of the year, is that they cause cars' headlights to bounce
as they pass over them, which can vary from distracting to dazzling,
and can seriously hinder the visibility of the most vulnerable road
users - cyclists and pedestrians.

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the
Old October 7th 06, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
p.k.

Stevie D wrote:
Matt B wrote:

The last report showed "Traffic calming" as a factor in 0% of all
injury accidents, probably because nobody ever reports it. The
powers-that-be will cite it as evidence for claiming humps never
cause accidents.

One of my main gripes about speed humps, as we enter the darker and
wetter half of the year, is that they cause cars' headlights to bounce
as they pass over them, which can vary from distracting to dazzling,
and can seriously hinder the visibility of the most vulnerable road
users - cyclists and pedestrians.

The law of unintendes consequences in operation.

pk