Do errant motorists deserve to have their side mirrors smashed?

Old October 31st 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Default Do errant motorists deserve to have their side mirrors smashed?

Controversial:

If everyone adopted this meek, submissive approach, how on earth will
drivers learn to treat cyclists with respect and give them the room
prescribed by the Highway Code?

Errant drivers have to be taught the error of their ways, and since
enforcement of these prevalent poor standards of driving is virtually
non-existent, it is up to us cyclists to stand up for our space and
safe treatment on the roads - no one else is going to do it for us, are
they?

This means giving drivers who pass too closely a nasty shock. i.e. a
fist on the door, a cleverly angled elbow, a broken mirror (during the
act of passing, as opposed to post-endangering-manoeuvre vandalism). If
they associate damage to their precious car with each close pass,
they'll undoubtedly take precautions to avoid such action in future,
namely giving more room. Only a few nutters will do the opposite, and
they'd be behaving like idiots towards cyclists anyway, so the argument
"that's one more driver who'll take it out on the next cyclist" is
nonsense, and certainly no justification for failing to take decisive
action in improving drivers' perceptions of a cyclist's right to occupy
space on the public highway.

I for one will be continuing with the tougher approach, and am well
prepared for incidents in which the transgressing motorist may take
violent exception to my protection of my road space.

Old October 31st 06, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MartinM

spindrift wrote:
Controversial:

in a word (or three) yes they deserve to be reminded of their dangerous
driving, but no we have no right as road users to inflict criminal
damage. Plus attempting to strike a part of a fast moving vehicles is
likely to inflict more harm to the cyclist. Would you do the same if
you pulled up alongside them at TL's?. A angry shout or a friendly tap
on the window is less inflammatory.

Old October 31st 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

spindrift wrote:
Controversial:

I think "dumb" is quite probably a better description.

I for one will be continuing with the tougher approach, and am well
prepared for incidents in which the transgressing motorist may take
violent exception to my protection of my road space.

I very rarely get passed that close so have no need to either continue
or desist. Perhaps I'm doing something right?

Go out looking for a fight and it's amazing how easy it is to find one.
Go out looking to get to your destination safely and speedily and it's
amazing how easy that is too.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 31st 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

MartinM wrote:
spindrift wrote:
Controversial:

in a word (or three) yes they deserve to be reminded of their dangerous
driving, but no we have no right as road users to inflict criminal
damage. Plus attempting to strike a part of a fast moving vehicles is
likely to inflict more harm to the cyclist. Would you do the same if
you pulled up alongside them at TL's?. A angry shout or a friendly tap
on the window is less inflammatory.

Yeah yeah, I don't agree with the OP, but he makes some good points.
The bullying by car drivers of cyclists will only really stop when we
all wear helmet cams. I've ben filtering to the left of traffic, still
within the white line, when a car overtaking a parked van came toward
me. My handlebar caught his wing mirror and left it dangling, but he
just drove off. There's no way he can't have noticed it, but there was
no harm to me or my bike so I pootled off.

A friendly tap on the window can also provoke an extreme reaction...

Old October 31st 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

spindrift said the following on 31/10/2006 09:59:

Yeah yeah, I don't agree with the OP, but he makes some good points.

Err - you are the OP.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 31st 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Paul Boyd wrote:
spindrift said the following on 31/10/2006 09:59:

Yeah yeah, I don't agree with the OP, but he makes some good points.

Err - you are the OP.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Sorry, not my words, that's why I put "Controversial" at the beginning,
it's from a thread on Cycling Plus.

Old October 31st 06, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MartinM

spindrift wrote:

The bullying by car drivers of cyclists

I don't think it's often bullying, mostly just drivers who either
don't have a clue or give a s**t

A friendly tap on the window can also provoke an extreme reaction...

Yes and I'm very cautious if I do this; it's usually an absent minded
driver who just didn't look before they pulled out and they often give
a very apologetic look. I wouldn't do it with the average WVM.

Old October 31st 06, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

spindrift said the following on 31/10/2006 10:06:

Sorry, not my words, that's why I put "Controversial" at the beginning,
it's from a thread on Cycling Plus.

The quoting must have disappeared somewhere along the line then,
certainly not on a plain text reader. It isn't at all apparent that
you're quoting someone else. Does the following look like something
I've written, or something I'm quoting?

Controversial:

Helmets save lives.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 31st 06, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Paul Boyd wrote:
spindrift said the following on 31/10/2006 10:06:

Sorry, not my words, that's why I put "Controversial" at the beginning,
it's from a thread on Cycling Plus.

The quoting must have disappeared somewhere along the line then,
certainly not on a plain text reader. It isn't at all apparent that
you're quoting someone else. Does the following look like something
I've written, or something I'm quoting?

Controversial:

Helmets save lives.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

sorry Paul, I stand corrected as the man said in the orthopaedic shoes.

Even a head shake can make a driver go mentalist, it's seen as an
affront to one of the two things that men hate being criticised on.

Old October 31st 06, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

spindrift wrote:

This means giving drivers who pass too closely a nasty shock. i.e. a
fist on the door, a cleverly angled elbow, a broken mirror (during the
act of passing, as opposed to post-endangering-manoeuvre vandalism).

More fuel for those who classify all cyclists as lawless, lightless,
pavement-riding RLJs who don't deserve to be on the road.

Nobody has the right to set themself up as judge, jury and executioner