Today's Independent

Old November 4th 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toby Sleigh

Default Today's Independent

http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle1953681.ece

From a short interview with AS Byatt.

"wish people would take more notice of...
Cyclists. I really hate them. I wish they would not be so self-righteous and
realise they are a danger to pedestrians. I wish cyclists would not
vindictively snap off wing mirrors on cars when they were trying to cross in
front of the car at a danger to motorists and pedestrians.

The most surprising thing that ever happened to me was...

My son was killed by a car aged 11. "

How on earth can these two statements be reconciled??

Toby

Old November 4th 06, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea

"Toby Sleigh" wrote in message
http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle1953681.ece

From a short interview with AS Byatt.

"wish people would take more notice of...
Cyclists. I really hate them. I wish they would not be so self-righteous
and realise they are a danger to pedestrians. I wish cyclists would not
vindictively snap off wing mirrors on cars when they were trying to cross
in front of the car at a danger to motorists and pedestrians.

The most surprising thing that ever happened to me was...

My son was killed by a car aged 11. "

How on earth can these two statements be reconciled??

Toby

I wonder how he found out how old the car was?

:-)

Old November 4th 06, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon D

Adam Lea expressed precisely :
"Toby Sleigh" wrote in message
http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle1953681.ece

From a short interview with AS Byatt.

I wonder how he found out how old the car was?

He's a she.

--
Simon

Old November 4th 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Toby Sleigh wrote on 04/11/2006 14:10 +0100:
http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle1953681.ece

From a short interview with AS Byatt.

"wish people would take more notice of...
Cyclists. I really hate them. I wish they would not be so self-righteous and
realise they are a danger to pedestrians. I wish cyclists would not
vindictively snap off wing mirrors on cars when they were trying to cross in
front of the car at a danger to motorists and pedestrians.

The long arm of the cyclist - able to snap off wing mirrors when
crossing in front of a car ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old November 4th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

"Toby Sleigh" wrote in message
http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle1953681.ece

From a short interview with AS Byatt.

"wish people would take more notice of...
Cyclists. I really hate them. I wish they would not be so self-righteous
and realise they are a danger to pedestrians. I wish cyclists would not
vindictively snap off wing mirrors on cars when they were trying to cross
in front of the car at a danger to motorists and pedestrians.

The most surprising thing that ever happened to me was...

My son was killed by a car aged 11. "

How on earth can these two statements be reconciled??

They never can because they were never intended to be reconciled. Not
everyone has a cyclocentric/car hating viewpoint......

-=V=-

Old November 4th 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lloyd

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Toby Sleigh wrote on 04/11/2006 14:10 +0100:
http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle1953681.ece

From a short interview with AS Byatt.

"wish people would take more notice of...
Cyclists. I really hate them. I wish they would not be so self-righteous

and
realise they are a danger to pedestrians. I wish cyclists would not
vindictively snap off wing mirrors on cars when they were trying to

cross in
front of the car at a danger to motorists and pedestrians.

The long arm of the cyclist - able to snap off wing mirrors when
crossing in front of a car ;-)

I'm not a book burning facist, but I feel a strong exception coming on. I
hate people telling me how self-righteous I am, especially people I've not
met. How do they know my opinions? I think this 'self-righteous' label is
applied to us by people who are guilty at not helping the situation. If we
can't ride, there will be more cars for mothers to loose their 11-year-old
sons to.

How many occurances of wing mirror snapping have really occured? I think
it's an urban myth.
--
David Lloyd,
The pub is responsible for my opinions.

Old November 4th 06, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bob watkinson

David Lloyd wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Toby Sleigh wrote on 04/11/2006 14:10 +0100:
http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle1953681.ece

From a short interview with AS Byatt.

[...]

And if you called these peopl bigoted, which they are by definition,
they'd be gobsmacked.

Old November 4th 06, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

How many occurances of wing mirror snapping have really occured? I think
it's an urban myth.
--

There are cyclists who, in other forums, claim to participate in this
activity.

There *are* cyclists who who bring the actvity into disrepute. I am no
saint and have been known to wave a fist or gesticulate at errant motorists
but some of the claims made by other cyclists:, picking up cigarette butts
and depositing them inside the cars from which they exited, squirting
water/drinks etc into cars and keying scraping the sides of cars/vans does
little to help the cause of cycling. The errant are an unrepresentative
population of cyclists as a whole but well behaved cyclists are generally
invisible to the wider population leaving the irresponsible, incompetent and
aggresive cyclists to represent the cycling body.

Old November 4th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter

"bob watkinson" wrote in message
ups.com...

David Lloyd wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Toby Sleigh wrote on 04/11/2006 14:10 +0100:
http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle1953681.ece

From a short interview with AS Byatt.

"wish people would take more notice of...
Cyclists. I really hate them. I wish they would not be so
self-righteous

and
realise they are a danger to pedestrians.

You would have thought that she would hate drunk drivers more than
cyclists...
Peter

Old November 4th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Clarke

David Lloyd wrote:

How many occurances of wing mirror snapping have
really occured? I think it's an urban myth.

I've tried it (on a scrap car. ) Pop-on mirrors have to be hit
bloody hard, you could only realistically do it with foot or heel of
palm. They tend to have sacrificial tabs in them to avoid damage to door
etc, but they're still tough.

A mirror could be broken away if a moving car clouted a cyclist.

On bolt-on mirrors, nevergonnahappen.

You could thump the mirror off my old car, because the sacrificial
retaining tabs were already broken where someone drove too close & it
was relying on its steel springs.

Independent lab? Jake Racing 41 August 8th 06 02:39 PM
Item in Today's Independent John Clayton UK 2 April 6th 06 11:02 PM
Seen in the Independent today... wafflycat UK 12 August 24th 05 07:04 AM
Independent letters Colin Blackburn UK 0 August 10th 05 09:46 AM
Best independent [email protected] Racing 9 July 25th 05 10:29 AM