ghent tragedy

Old November 26th 06, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dan Gregory

Default ghent tragedy

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v06/nov26news2

RIP
Old November 26th 06, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v06/nov26news2

RIP

Gah! What a tragedy.

I used to go to the Ghent six in the days of Tony Doyle, Danny Clarke
and Etienne de Wilde. I saw a few crashes over the years but nobody
ever got tangled in the inner or outer rails. I suppose that there
will now be a long hard look at the rails at velodromes with a view to
replacing them with boarded fences.

Galvez was of course been wearing a helmet but hitting a hard object
no more than 50mm across at over 50kph is not the kind of impact they
are designed to protect against.
Old November 26th 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

The BBC don't even know where Ghent is!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/6185486.stm

Madison world champion Isaac Galvez was killed during an indoor race
in Brussels on Sunday.
Old November 26th 06, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John B

Phil Cook wrote:

Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v06/nov26news2

RIP

Gah! What a tragedy.

I used to go to the Ghent six in the days of Tony Doyle, Danny Clarke
and Etienne de Wilde. I saw a few crashes over the years but nobody
ever got tangled in the inner or outer rails.

I recall leaning over them many times, then quickly ducking back as
riders came around the top. They gave some intimacy to the surroundings.
The worst crash I saw was when Tony Doyle went down at the Antwerp Six.
It put a real downer on the event as he was stretchered off.
This is terrible though, and will reverberate throughout the Six Day
season.

Galvez was of course been wearing a helmet but hitting a hard object
no more than 50mm across at over 50kph is not the kind of impact they
are designed to protect against.

Was it a head injury? Over on veloriders someone's saying he whacked his
chest against the railings.

So tragic :-(

John B

Old November 26th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

John B wrote:

Phil Cook wrote:

Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v06/nov26news2

RIP

Gah! What a tragedy.

I used to go to the Ghent six in the days of Tony Doyle, Danny Clarke
and Etienne de Wilde. I saw a few crashes over the years but nobody
ever got tangled in the inner or outer rails.

I recall leaning over them many times, then quickly ducking back as
riders came around the top. They gave some intimacy to the surroundings.
The worst crash I saw was when Tony Doyle went down at the Antwerp Six.
It put a real downer on the event as he was stretchered off.

I think I remember reading about that one. They dropped him off the
stretcher on the way to the ambulance didn't they?

This is terrible though, and will reverberate throughout the Six Day
season.

Galvez was of course been wearing a helmet but hitting a hard object
no more than 50mm across at over 50kph is not the kind of impact they
are designed to protect against.

Was it a head injury? Over on veloriders someone's saying he whacked his
chest against the railings.

To be honest I was playing devils advocate.

So tragic :-(

Indeed.
Old November 26th 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Phil Cook wrote:

Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

The BBC don't even know where Ghent is!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/6185486.stm

Madison world champion Isaac Galvez was killed during an indoor race
in Brussels on Sunday.

They have fixed it now.
Old November 26th 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keeff57

Phil Cook Wrote:
Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v06/nov26news2

RIP

-Gah! What a tragedy.-

-I used to go to the Ghent six in the days of Tony Doyle, Danny Clarke-
-and Etienne de Wilde. I saw a few crashes over the years but nobody-
-ever got tangled in the inner or outer rails. I suppose that there-
-will now be a long hard look at the rails at velodromes with a view
to-
-replacing them with boarded fences.-

Hi

There's a new velodrome in Gent now. Built a couple of years ago.
Presumably the 6 is held there now?

Keith

]

--
Keeff57

Old November 26th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dan Gregory

Keeff57 wrote:
Phil Cook Wrote:
Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v06/nov26news2

RIP

-Gah! What a tragedy.-

-I used to go to the Ghent six in the days of Tony Doyle, Danny Clarke-
-and Etienne de Wilde. I saw a few crashes over the years but nobody-
-ever got tangled in the inner or outer rails. I suppose that there-
-will now be a long hard look at the rails at velodromes with a view
to-
-replacing them with boarded fences.-

Hi

There's a new velodrome in Gent now. Built a couple of years ago.
Presumably the 6 is held there now?

Judging by this pic they still have the metal rails

Judging by this pic they still have the metal rails
http://www.cyclingnews.com/track.php...nt065/DSC_0098
Old November 26th 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Keeff57 wrote:

Phil Cook Wrote:
Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v06/nov26news2

RIP

-Gah! What a tragedy.-

-I used to go to the Ghent six in the days of Tony Doyle, Danny Clarke-
-and Etienne de Wilde. I saw a few crashes over the years but nobody-
-ever got tangled in the inner or outer rails.

There's a new velodrome in Gent now. Built a couple of years ago.
Presumably the 6 is held there now?

No, the "new" track is a 250m one (a bit big for a six day race) which
was built in 1988 and recently had a roof built over it. The Six is
held at the Kuipke track which is only 166m.
Old November 26th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Dan Gregory wrote:

Keeff57 wrote:
Phil Cook Wrote:
Dan Gregory wrote:

Isaac Galvez dies at Gent Six-day

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v06/nov26news2

RIP
-Gah! What a tragedy.-

-I used to go to the Ghent six in the days of Tony Doyle, Danny Clarke-
-and Etienne de Wilde. I saw a few crashes over the years but nobody-
-ever got tangled in the inner or outer rails. I suppose that there-
-will now be a long hard look at the rails at velodromes with a view
to replacing them with boarded fences.-

There's a new velodrome in Gent now. Built a couple of years ago.
Presumably the 6 is held there now?

Judging by this pic they still have the metal rails
http://www.cyclingnews.com/track.php...nt065/DSC_0098

Those are the outside rails, they must be somewhere on the high
banking in that pic.

This shows the inside rails which are pretty frightening
http://www.lancsroadclub.org.uk/phot...t/PICT0322.JPG

Tragedy John B UK 32 March 23rd 10 04:52 PM
Ghent tragedy Dan Gregory Racing 16 November 29th 06 02:03 PM
Another cycling tragedy. [email protected] UK 12 January 8th 06 02:11 PM
Maybe some good by this tragedy Jamie Wilson Australia 5 July 20th 05 09:54 AM
The tragedy of Vandeman. Eamon Stanley Social Issues 2 October 22nd 03 07:01 PM