Repairing Latex Tubes?

Old May 31st 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Default Repairing Latex Tubes?

Just putting some inner-tubes in ahead of a race tomorrow and noticed
that they're made of latex (Michelin Air Comp Latex), they feel
totally different to normal rubber tubes. Am I right to check that a
standard puncture repair kit with vulcanizing rubber solution and sand-
paper is still the order of the day when fixing these things, or are
they self-adhesive patches only?

Regards,

Duncan.

Old May 31st 07, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon D

Duncan Smith explained :
Just putting some inner-tubes in ahead of a race tomorrow and noticed
that they're made of latex (Michelin Air Comp Latex), they feel
totally different to normal rubber tubes. Am I right to check that a
standard puncture repair kit with vulcanizing rubber solution and sand-
paper is still the order of the day when fixing these things, or are
they self-adhesive patches only?

Lose the sandpaper! Just make sure the surface of the tube is clean.
Ordinary solution and patches are best.

--
Simon

Old May 31st 07, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

they self-adhesive patches only?

Lose the sandpaper! Just make sure the surface of the tube is clean.
Ordinary solution and patches are best.

and welcome to the world of pumping up your tyres every day!
TerryJ

Old June 1st 07, 03:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

On May 31, 9:02 pm, Simon D wrote:
Duncan Smith explained :

Just putting some inner-tubes in ahead of a race tomorrow and noticed
that they're made of latex (Michelin Air Comp Latex), they feel
totally different to normal rubber tubes. Am I right to check that a
standard puncture repair kit with vulcanizing rubber solution and sand-
paper is still the order of the day when fixing these things, or are
they self-adhesive patches only?

Lose the sandpaper! Just make sure the surface of the tube is clean.
Ordinary solution and patches are best.

--
Simon

Sounds about right, thanks.

Old June 1st 07, 04:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Duncan Smith explained :

Old June 1st 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Duncan Smith said the following on 31/05/2007 20:52:
Just putting some inner-tubes in ahead of a race tomorrow and noticed
that they're made of latex (Michelin Air Comp Latex), they feel
totally different to normal rubber tubes. Am I right to check that a
standard puncture repair kit with vulcanizing rubber solution and sand-
paper is still the order of the day when fixing these things, or are
they self-adhesive patches only?

I used to use latex tubes many years ago, and they were virtually
puncture-proof, even against snake-bites. Nice shade of pink, they
were! Anyway, if I did get a puncture I just repaired them as normal,
with no problems.

I wonder if modern latex tubes hold air for more than five minutes :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 1st 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article , Paul
Boyd
usenet.dont.work@plusnet says...
snip
I wonder if modern latex tubes hold air for more than five minutes :-)

There were coated latex tubes that were supposed to hold air longer, but
they were more than twice the price of plain latex and a bit heavier.
It's really not much hassle to top up the pressure when you have a track
pump.

Anyone using latex tubes? BT Humble Australia 29 January 14th 07 10:43 PM
Patching latex tubes suzyj Australia 4 October 27th 06 05:33 AM
Patching latex tubes Bean Long Australia 0 October 25th 06 01:09 AM
Latex tubes ... how to fix ?? Tony Techniques 5 May 11th 06 10:29 PM
Latex and lightweight tubes -- lower RR? Matt O'Toole Techniques 52 December 19th 05 11:43 AM