Shimano Cassette with Campy Rear Derailler?

Old September 29th 03, 09:45 PM
Daryl Lewis

Default Shimano Cassette with Campy Rear Derailler?

My bike has a Veloce triple crank and a Mirage rear derailler, 9 gear
cassette. Will an ultegra rear hub and 9 gear cassette work on my bike?

Old September 29th 03, 10:06 PM
Mike S.

"Daryl Lewis" wrote in message
My bike has a Veloce triple crank and a Mirage rear derailler, 9 gear
cassette. Will an ultegra rear hub and 9 gear cassette work on my bike?

With a minimal of fiddling around, yes, it should work.

Mike

Old September 29th 03, 10:50 PM
daveornee

Daryl Lewis wrote:
My bike has a Veloce triple crank and a Mirage rear derailler, 9 gear
cassette. Will an ultegra rear hub and 9 gear cassette work on my bike?

Check out what Sheldon Brown says on his website ar URL:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Scroll down to the section on "Sprocket Spacing"... especially the last
line that says: "In particular, for reasons that are not quite clear,
9-speed hubs/cassettes seem to work pretty well with the opposite
9-speed derailer/shifter brand."

Campy 9 speed uses 4.55 mm center to center spacing; while Shimano 9
speed uses 4.34 mm spacing.

I found that adjustment of a Campy rear can handle Shimano's spacing. I
attain best results by precision alignment in the 5th (middle) cog. I
still adjust the stops for end of range on the Shimano cassette; in
other words... tighten stops for the narrower spacing. The error
accumulates as you go towards the smallest and largest cogs.

I wasn't surprised with this information, as I tried using a Shimano
8 speed shifter on a Shimano cassette. There is about the same 0.2 mm
center-to-center cog spacing difference. David Ornee, Western
Springs, IL

Old September 30th 03, 01:39 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

dblewis- My bike has a Veloce triple crank and a Mirage rear derailler, 9
gear
cassette. Will an ultegra rear hub and 9 gear cassette work on my bike?
BRBR

yessir, assuming you have Campagnolo 9s ERGO levers. Use a shimano 9s chain for
best results.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old October 1st 03, 06:29 AM
A Muzi

Daryl Lewis wrote:

My bike has a Veloce triple crank and a Mirage rear derailler, 9 gear
cassette. Will an ultegra rear hub and 9 gear cassette work on my bike?

Yes

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old October 13th 03, 11:48 PM
Bikefixr

No-the spacing is different and beyond the ability of the rear derailleur
jockey wheel to compensate. There are spacer kits available, but it's tough to
get those to work as well as the correct cassette would.
Old October 14th 03, 03:06 AM
Steve

Default Huh ?

"Bikefixr" wrote in message

No-the spacing is different and beyond the ability of the rear derailleur
jockey wheel to compensate. There are spacer kits available, but it's

tough to
get those to work as well as the correct cassette would.

Referring to what ?.

A Campy Ergo 9 spd. system with a Campy R derailer will nicely shift a
Shimano 9 spd. cassette. You can go so far as ordering a Wheels
Manufacturing cassette re-set to Campy spacing on a Shimano hub - for about
$100, or simply add a Shimano 8 spd. spacer somewhere in the middle of the
cassette to get the same thing.

There has been much written on this subject and about how close the 2
systems are and how well they work together, unless you're extraordinarily
anal....

SB