when is it more efficient to push your bike up hill during race

Old March 27th 05, 07:19 PM
gty

Default when is it more efficient to push your bike up hill during race

I'm new to bike racing and biking. Now that I am in condition and can
ride my bike up steep hills i'm wondering if it takes too much out of
me to ride up steep hill.

Old March 27th 05, 07:26 PM
MagillaGorilla

gty wrote:

I'm new to bike racing and biking. Now that I am in condition and can
ride my bike up steep hills i'm wondering if it takes too much out of
me to ride up steep hill.

Don't come in here again.

Magilla
Old March 27th 05, 08:10 PM
B. Lafferty

"gty" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm new to bike racing and biking. Now that I am in condition and can
ride my bike up steep hills i'm wondering if it takes too much out of
me to ride up steep hill.

In circuit races of more than 50 miles, it's a good idea to push your bike
up hills. Don't be conned by the other riders cycling up the hills. They
will fade long before the finish. The energy you save by walking will allow
you to cruise by them all in the latter part of the race. At tip--use mtb
shoes for road races as you can walk the hill more quickly and with less
effort than with road shoes. Hope this helps!

Old March 27th 05, 08:37 PM
Per Elmsäter

B. Lafferty wrote:
"gty" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm new to bike racing and biking. Now that I am in condition and can
ride my bike up steep hills i'm wondering if it takes too much out of
me to ride up steep hill.

In circuit races of more than 50 miles, it's a good idea to push your
bike up hills. Don't be conned by the other riders cycling up the
hills. They will fade long before the finish. The energy you save
by walking will allow you to cruise by them all in the latter part of
the race. At tip--use mtb shoes for road races as you can walk the
hill more quickly and with less effort than with road shoes. Hope
this helps!

Don't listen to him. MTB shoes are strictly forbidden in road races. The
only allowed shoe is a road shoe as it would otherwise be too easy to walk
uphill.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Old March 27th 05, 08:49 PM

B. Lafferty wrote:

In circuit races of more than 50 miles, it's a good idea to push your

bike
up hills. Don't be conned by the other riders cycling up the hills.

They
will fade long before the finish. The energy you save by walking

will allow
you to cruise by them all in the latter part of the race. At

tip--use mtb
shoes for road races as you can walk the hill more quickly and with

less
effort than with road shoes. Hope this helps!

Don't walk the hill, run it. If you walk it, you'll never do well.
I have heard that there is some weird variant of bike racing
where people actually run up hills carrying bikes. Apparently
it's popular in Belgium in the winter. Those silly Belgians!

You laugh, but a friend of mine got the advice to wear MTB shoes
at Cat's Hill, and indeed riders in front of him dropped chain
at the bottom of the hill, bringing half the field to a stop.
Running the hill was faster than pedaling it from a dead stop and
he was glad he wasn't wearing road shoes.

Ben
rbr minister of trivia

Old March 27th 05, 09:46 PM
Suz

You laugh, but a friend of mine got the advice to wear MTB shoes
at Cat's Hill, and indeed riders in front of him dropped chain
at the bottom of the hill, bringing half the field to a stop.
Running the hill was faster than pedaling it from a dead stop and
he was glad he wasn't wearing road shoes.

Ben
rbr minister of trivia

This happened on Fillmore in the first lap of the T-mobile Int'l in the
women's race. A Basis rider broke her chain, and a bunch of girls behind
her had to run up the hill to the next block, as it was about impossible to
remount on the ~23% grade. This is about the only time it is okay (in a
road race) to walk/ run your bike up a hill.

But in case you can't tell, most of these guys are full of ****. Don't ever
plan on pushing your bike up any paved hill. You will be laughed right off
the course, and you won't be any faster. If gearing is an issue, get a 27
cog in back, or compact gears in front.

And never race with a camel back...

Old March 27th 05, 10:22 PM
B. Lafferty

"Suz" wrote in message
But in case you can't tell, most of these guys are full of ****. Don't
ever plan on pushing your bike up any paved hill. You will be laughed
right off the course, and you won't be any faster.

Spoken like a true lemming. It isn't about going up the hill faster. It's
about conserving energy for the last 10km of the race.

If gearing is an issue, get a 27 cog in back, or compact gears in front.

A TA crankset will get you even lower gearing.

And never race with a camel back...

Unless it's a time trial. Than it's cool and very aeor. BTW, if the time
trial is flat, it's best to use road shoes.

Old March 28th 05, 01:16 AM
MagillaGorilla

Suz wrote:
You laugh, but a friend of mine got the advice to wear MTB shoes
at Cat's Hill, and indeed riders in front of him dropped chain

snip

And never race with a camel back...

Camel Toe,

B. Jew Lick races with a Camelback.

Thanks,

Magilla
Old March 28th 05, 04:19 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'm new to bike racing and biking. Now that I am in condition and can
ride my bike up steep hills i'm wondering if it takes too much out of
me to ride up steep hill.

In circuit races of more than 50 miles, it's a good idea to push your bike
up hills. Don't be conned by the other riders cycling up the hills. They
will fade long before the finish. The energy you save by walking will
allow you to cruise by them all in the latter part of the race. At
tip--use mtb shoes for road races as you can walk the hill more quickly
and with less effort than with road shoes. Hope this helps!

While we're at it, should we tell him some of the other secrets, such as
always storing your bike with the tube valves at the bottom, so you can
bleed off the heavier air that accumulates there?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 28th 05, 05:15 AM
gty

i think you are supposed to inflate your tires with nitrogen because
oxygen in air oxidizes the interior of rubber tube. to be precise, air
molecules burdened with water vapour are heavier and will settle at
bottom of tube, thus the need to bleed it each morning.

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Techniques 0 June 1st 04 04:54 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Racing 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM