{Bris} Epic training

Old August 8th 06, 02:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Default {Bris} Epic training

The Epic's getting closer - Sept 3rd. I and a couple of others are
planning some training rides for the next three weekends and you are
welcome to come along. These are fairly tough rides, so you need to be
in reasonable shape. That said, we are not A-graders.

- Sat 12 Aug - Mt Cootha to Mt Nebo return - depart from the Silky Oak
car park (near old Freers factory) at 6 am - options are to return on
road or on dirt - finish time will be around 10.15 or rather later if
returning on dirt.

- Sun 20 Aug - Mt Cootha to Lake Manchester return - this is meant to
be a tough ride and much longer than Mt Nebo - can't predict return
time and your partner had better plan on you being on the couch for the
afternoon - good ride to do 2 weeks out from the Epic.

- Sat 27 Aug - Cootha/Nebo, back on the dirt.

Donga

Old August 20th 06, 01:06 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Donga wrote:
- Sun 20 Aug - Mt Cootha to Lake Manchester return - this is meant to
be a tough ride and much longer than Mt Nebo - can't predict return
time and your partner had better plan on you being on the couch for the
afternoon - good ride to do 2 weeks out from the Epic.

Whoa, this was a good ride. Another perfect spring day in BrisVegas.
Away an hour late because Hughie decided to put on new derailleurs at
5.50am. Started up Cootha and down the three sisters. On my hardtail I
got a flogging on the downhill from the other two on duallies, but got
my own back on the ups. Riding up towards Nebo is plain tough -
constant strong ups, with some downs to make the elevation gained
probably half as much again as the actual elevation. Lots of 32 usage,
but only the duallies needed their 34. We picked the right turn-off and
confirmed with a gun going past (with ex-world champ Tony Carson). I've
done the Nebo climb a few times now, and it's a bit boring on the fire
trails, so I wasn't expecting how much fun the ride to Manchester is -
starts with a long, wild descent on a very loose, rutted fire trail. My
quads were on fire after a couple of kays hanging off the back of the
seat, while the duallies just plunged down seated. Finally they could
beat me on the up-hill. Nearer the lake, there are some nice rock
gardens along the trail that were a lot of fun to wriggle through. We
finally got out of the park after around 40 kays in 3 hours (didn't
check). Then another 30 kays home on Mt Crosby Rd, Mogill Rd and the
Western Fwy, mostly bitument, very strong undulations, powering away in
a pace line. 70 kays total in 4h 11 mins of riding. Not shattered, but
not far off it. This is a great ride and top training for the Epic.

MM, that wasn't you I was chatting with yesterday about Toowoomba
riders, on the way out to the airport?

Donga

Old August 21st 06, 01:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman

Donga Wrote:

MM, that wasn't you I was chatting with yesterday about Toowoomba
riders, on the way out to the airport?

Donga

Not I. Me and a friend (yes abby, I have one!!) were on the roadies
yesterday morning. We went out to Dayboro via Samford (those roads are
so dead out there!!) - back in via Petrie village and back into the city
through Gympie Rd. A lot of rolling hills and a couple of longer
climbs. Abt 123kms total from the sunny southside, all done at a
steady pace.

We met at All Hallowes at 5.30, which I now think is too early to meet
in the city - mainly because all the drunken b@stards are heading home
at that time. I had to pull over on middle of the story bridge and
grab the side railing as a ford laser coming at me head-on played
chicken with me _on_my_side_of_the_bridge_ at 100kph. He crossed three
lanes into the wrong side of the road to do this. I seriously thought I
was done for. Life flashing before my eyes. My mate met me at the
rendezvous point 10 mins later and I was still shaking. Then as we
headed off towards the RBH, we get buzzed by a car full of drunks
screaming "get off the road you p**ftas" - with accompanying suggestive
hand movements. Interesting part was they did this just as we were
passing some maoris trying to get into a taxi. The maori thought they
were the p**ftas that were being asked to get off the road, and they
took umbrage at the suggestion. Bad time for the abusers to hit a red
light. Light changes just in time for them and they sped off up the
road. I was on the outside at this time, so my mate tells me to take
the inside line as I seemed to have a target on my back yesterday.
Apart from those incidents, the ride was otherwise uneventful. Of
course, you don't tell the wife about these things when you get home
... ...

--
monsterman

Old August 21st 06, 02:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

monsterman wrote:
... Of course, you don't tell the wife about these things when you get home
... ...

What a cack! Your story is a good counter to those idiots writing into
the Courier Mail talking about lycra louts ... if they were worth
responding to.

Glad they missed you. And BTW the guy I was chatting to was much too
fat to be you.

Donga

Old August 22nd 06, 03:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
adam85

monsterman Wrote:
[...]

That story bridge incident is pretty full on mm. I'm sure they thought
it was hilarious.

Adam

--
adam85

Old August 22nd 06, 06:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

Donga Wrote:
[...]

The old Freer's factory - that wasn't a former Red Seal factory was
it??? Reading your post brought back memories of a school excursion
(grade 3 I think??) to the Red Seal factory.....

--
warrwych

Old August 22nd 06, 07:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

warrwych wrote:
The old Freer's factory - that wasn't a former Red Seal factory was
it??? Reading your post brought back memories of a school excursion
(grade 3 I think??) to the Red Seal factory.....

I don't know, sorry warrwych - relative newcomer to the state. But I do
know the little farm a couple of hundred metres up from the factory
(which is plonked in the middle of a patch of dairy land between the
hills) has a sign outside saying the land was settled by the Freers.

Donga

Old August 22nd 06, 07:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

Donga Wrote:
warrwych wrote:
The old Freer's factory - that wasn't a former Red Seal factory was
it??? Reading your post brought back memories of a school excursion
(grade 3 I think??) to the Red Seal factory.....

I don't know, sorry warrwych - relative newcomer to the state. But I
do
know the little farm a couple of hundred metres up from the factory
(which is plonked in the middle of a patch of dairy land between the
hills) has a sign outside saying the land was settled by the Freers.

Donga

Could be the same... the Red Seal factory was in the middle of dairy
country with a little farm nearby.... I remember thinking way back then
at age 8 or so, that it was odd to see a chip factory in the middle of
dairy farms. No idea why it struck me as odd tho! he he

--
warrwych

Old August 22nd 06, 08:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

warrwych wrote:
Could be the same... the Red Seal factory was in the middle of dairy
country with a little farm nearby.... I remember thinking way back then
at age 8 or so, that it was odd to see a chip factory in the middle of
dairy farms. No idea why it struck me as odd tho! he he

I suspect the Freers grew spuds and started adding some value to their
product, then, hey presto, they had a business ... until they were
swamped by PepsiCo (Smiths).

Donga

Old August 22nd 06, 01:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman

warrwych Wrote:
The old Freer's factory - that wasn't a former Red Seal factory was
it??? Reading your post brought back memories of a school excursion
(grade 3 I think??) to the Red Seal factory.....

absolutely! mmmmmm .... ....potato chips .... .....

--
monsterman

Cycle Training Consultation Tom Crispin UK 54 July 17th 06 10:03 PM
BNE: EPIC training Donga Australia 8 June 3rd 06 07:50 AM
Back to Back Epic Uni Rides aspenmike Unicycling 11 August 17th 05 05:23 AM
%$!#-&*@ Tamyka Bell Australia 82 April 18th 05 01:16 PM
Cycle Training and Education Conference 2005 National Standard Cycle Training Helpline UK 0 March 30th 05 11:43 AM