Recommendation for windproof and (truly) breathable shell?

Old September 6th 03, 05:15 PM
Review Boy

Default Recommendation for windproof and (truly) breathable shell?

Hello All -

The cool season is approaching, so I am searching for a shell that is
windproof on the front and highly breathable on the back. I've tried
Goretex and Supplex, but there must be something wrong with me,
because in spite of the claims that they are breathable, they feel about
as breathable as a plastic garbage bag.

Does anyone know of a shell that has windproof material on
the front, but completely different material, fleecelike, on the
back and backs of the arms?

thanks,
Ralph

Old September 6th 03, 08:35 PM
Review Boy

Hi Rich -

Does it have to be a shell? I get a lot of use out of my cycling vest...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried vests and my arms get
cold. I think I must have poor circulation.

About 12 years ago, I bought a Hind cycling shell that was windproof
on the front and had fleece on the back That was perfect for me,
except that those types of shells or jackets seemed to be very rare then
and seem to be rare now.

Since most cyclists seem to be happy with the windproof jackets and
shells on the market, I must sweat much more than the average.

Old September 7th 03, 06:07 AM
Review Boy

"Ken" wrote in message
What kind of temperatures are you talking about? Do you need rain/snow
protection?

40-55 degrees, with some rain. No snow.

Old September 8th 03, 07:26 AM
Per Elmsäter

Review Boy wrote:
Hello All -

The cool season is approaching, so I am searching for a shell that is
windproof on the front and highly breathable on the back. I've tried
Goretex and Supplex, but there must be something wrong with me,
because in spite of the claims that they are breathable, they feel
about as breathable as a plastic garbage bag.

Does anyone know of a shell that has windproof material on
the front, but completely different material, fleecelike, on the
back and backs of the arms?

thanks,
Ralph

Newline has a nice setup for this. I use it throughout the winter and just
add clothing underneath. Since it is neither wind nor waterproof in the back
you may want to have some protection on your reartire.
--
Perre

Old September 8th 03, 07:32 AM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 6 Sep 2003 09:15:20 -0700, ,
"Review Boy" review wrote:

Does anyone know of a shell that has windproof material on
the front, but completely different material, fleecelike, on the
back and backs of the arms?

Sugoi WindHibitor Evaporator Zip Jersey.
http://www.sugoi.ca/sugoimain/main.a...4116&color=BLK

"A concentrated shot of WindHibitor on the front, sleeves and upper
back with ventilating MidZero back panels.

MidZero is a full stretch wicking midweight base layer that is fleeced
on the inside for amazing comfort.
WindHibitor is a breathable, wicking, three-ply stretch laminate that
increases comfort by blocking 95 per cent of forward wind."

I've one of Sugoi's full zip jerseys that is has a windproof front,
shoulders and arms. The lower back and sleeve panels are wicking
stretch fabric. It's nice to have when the sun goes down.
--
zk