Rog's Endurance Adventure...

Old February 12th 04, 10:38 PM
Roger Buchanan

Default Rog's Endurance Adventure...

Spinning is finally paying off! Maybe not with fitness, but with mental
toughness to outlast the interminable boredom.

As I was sitting on the stationary bike the other day, following along
with the plight of several diminutive gentlemen, and one old codger with
a staff, I thought that I needed a plan for the summer. An "adventure"
if you will. No it won't involve Nazgul or Balrogs, or any such thing...
Just biking along, and along, and along, and along...

So was born the "12 Hours of Rog" - (gotta start small)

Since I can't ride the more technical trails, I have to think of new
ways to enjoy the existing trails that I *can* ride. I've already
thought of night rides, but this was something that I'd never
contemplated before. An epic adventure of effort, pain and suffering,
and mental toughness. Best of all, I don't need any new bike stuff to do
this! Though I may have to reward myself if I actually complete a full
12 hours of riding...

Now I gotta work on loosing the 40lbs that I put back on of the 110lbs
that I lost originally (Damn meds). Well, that and getting the better
half to agree to be my "assistant" for this adventure. (That'll be the
toughest part of the whole event) It ought to give me a bit of a taste
of what the real things are like. The best thing about doing the "12
Hours of Rog" is that I'll be using existing trails all by myself.
Nobody will take any offense to one pokey rider going around and around
and around on a 12-13km loop that has only one road crossing.

I'd contemplated adding a lap at night, but that wouldn't work from a
logistical point of view. I'll just have to get my night riding in at
other times.

So for now I'll stick to doing the stationary bike a few times a week,
while I watch movies. I find movies help keep me spinning longer than if
I'm listening to CD's. Once the snow is gone I'll get out and do a some
longer than normal rides. I'll also do some...ugh... road rides...

That's about as far along as the plan is developed. Still, it's a goal,
and we've all gotta have goals in our lives.

Any insight, or advice (no ridicule please), would be appreciated.

TIA

--
- Rog

http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.
Old February 13th 04, 02:46 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:38:40 -0600, Roger Buchanan
wrote:

Spinning is finally paying off! Maybe not with fitness, but with mental
toughness to outlast the interminable boredom.

As I was sitting on the stationary bike the other day, following along
with the plight of several diminutive gentlemen, and one old codger with
a staff, I thought that I needed a plan for the summer. An "adventure"
if you will. No it won't involve Nazgul or Balrogs, or any such thing...
Just biking along, and along, and along, and along...

awe, darn, what's an adventure without a Nazgul or two?

[...]

Have fun at all cost,
Bill
....one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them,
one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them
In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...
Old February 13th 04, 03:13 AM
Craig Brossman

Roger Buchanan wrote:
[...]

Good for you Mr. Buchanan!!!
All I can add is for some reason, around here anyway, it is not a
spinning class w/o AC/DC, go figure

BTW: We are all always working on something!!!

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

Old February 13th 04, 03:06 PM
supabonbon

Roger Buchanan wrote in message ...
[...]

The only advice I can think of is to get some epic-worthy shorts. I'm
all for mental toughness, but not at the cost of innocent tender bits.
Otherwise, beware insanity. I did a 200 mile road ride over the summer
that took around 15 hours, start to finish. At around 140 I realized
that I was able to read the minds of the guys I was riding with. They
were plotting to get me and were trying to burn me out, and that got
me really, really upset. At the next rest stop I'd decided to
suckerpunch the strongest of the group first, and let the other two
either back down or go for it. The electrolytes in the Gatorade
interfered with my ability to pick up their telepathic messages
though, so I decided to bide my time.
Good luck.
/s
ps: Have you been watching Conan O'Brien? He's doing shows from
Canada. "Triumph the Wonder Dog" last night was absolutely insane.
Old February 13th 04, 04:51 PM
JD

[...]

Life is an endurance adventure, Rog. Keep at it.

JD
Old February 13th 04, 08:19 PM
Mark Bockmann

Roger Buchanan wrote...
So was born the "12 Hours of Rog"

Hey Rog, sounds like fun. My only advice would be:

a) Instead of limiting yourself to doing one 12 km loop over and over,
choose an epic route that takes you to a variety of trails and
terrain. You could do this several different ways. If you have an area
with a large network of trails, you could try to "ride them all". You
could pick one HUGE loop. Or, if that's too committing, do it
"Montezuma's Revenge" style -- choose a central base location and do a
series of different loops, all starting and ending at your base. These
ideas could help make your day much more interesting. I also think the
sense of accomplishment is much greater for, say, doing the White Rim
in a day vs. doing laps on the 24 Hours of Moab course (not that I
have experience with the latter

b) Bring some buddies!

cheers,

bock
Old February 14th 04, 02:54 AM
Kathleen

Roger Buchanan wrote:
[...]

Let your doc know what you're planning. Hours and hours of sustained
effort might require a change in dosage or type of medication.
And I've gotta agree with the "buy good shorts" advice. Nothing with
duct tape.
I've been on day-long rides before, but that always included lunch,
lots of breaks and a certain amount of sightseeing. And I'm still
pretty lamed-up the next day. Preemptive Ibuprofen (taken at bedtime
the night after) helps a lot, if you can take NSAIDs.

Kathleen

Old February 23rd 04, 06:56 PM
Roger Buchanan

JD wrote:
That's about as far along as the plan is developed. Still, it's a goal,
and we've all gotta have goals in our lives.

Any insight, or advice (no ridicule please), would be appreciated.

Life is an endurance adventure, Rog. Keep at it.

That's for sure JD, that's for sure...

I saw a good quote on a road side sign today. It said "Joyful people
don't have the best in life, they just make the best of life!"

Kinda Zen...