Cyclists causing traffic delays

Old February 26th 12, 11:41 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
jnugent

Default Cyclists causing traffic delays

On 26/02/2012 18:29, Graham Harrison wrote:

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message ...
Got held up behind a long line of traffic yesterday. After a few minutes,
it became apparent what was holding up the traffic. Two cyclists kitted out
like they were taking part in the Tour de France riding two-abreast and
occupying the whole lane. This was making it more difficult for traffic to
pass them with adequate clearance. Having had a look at the Highway Code,
it says the following:

Section 66. You should:

"never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or
busy roads and when riding round bends"

(http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069837)

There is nothing wrong in riding two abreast on quiet roads but on busy
roads, the Highway Code says cyclists should ride single-file. The road I
was on yesterday was very busy.

Why do cyclists do these things? Is a deliberate ploy to wind up drivers?

Round here the width of most of the roads is such that it doesn't matter if
they ride one or two abreast; if you're going to overtake safely you have to
wait until nothing is coming the other way.

In many ways, I'd rather catch a tightly packed "Peloton" than the same
number of people strung out. The string takes up much more road length and is
more difficult to overtake safely especially if there are small breaks in the
line that aren't big enough to drop a car into.

That ought to be no problem at all. The HC advice is that when you are being
overtaken, you should hang back and *create* a space into which the
overtaking vehicle can move (if necessary).

I do understand what the HC
says but I'm not sure I agree with them in this case.

Is it supposed to be a table d'hote menu?

Old February 27th 12, 09:57 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Brake Pad

On Feb 27, 1:06*am, Phil W Lee wrote:
Nathan Pinhead considered Sun, 26 Feb 2012
18:02:11 -0000 the perfect time to write:

In article , says...

Why do cyclists do these things? *Is a deliberate ploy to be seen by drivers?

If you want the honest, short answer then that answer is yes.

I always found that when I drove a battered out company Ford Transit
diesel van with 180000 miles on the clock that the best response was
always to give them a wide berth whilst overtaking and then once forty
feet or so in front of them to depress the clutch and simultaneously
floor the accelerator for three or four seconds.

It never failed to provoke gesticulations with their arms for some
reason........I think, to be honest I couldn't fully be sure because
they were surrounded in carcinogenic black fumes.

So, attempted murder then.
You've admitted that you know it is carcinogenic, and that you
administered it deliberately.

Or are you just spouting more crap than your clapped out and illegal
motor?
Still, pinhead by name, pinhead by nature.

So there I am cycling behind a coach with a couple of mates when a
forest of middle fingers appeared in the rear window, augmented by a
gesture that suggested that we indulged in an inordinate amount of
manual self-satisfaction.

My mate Noddy was not prepared to accept this interpretation and, when
the coach was standing still in traffic, we boarded by kicking the
doors open. It turned out to be a football team. We ran like avenging
angels to the place of the insulting behaviour and meted a biblical
retribution out to the four men on the back row. Heads were beaten
against the rear window to the rhythm of a selection of devotional
numbers,"Onward christian Soldiers" and suchlike. Upon completing the
dispensation of summary justice, we alighted to continue on our
journey with a warm feeling of satisfaction. Salvation was nigh.

And the remarkable thing was that all headgear remained firmly in
place.

My apologies to following traffic which was delayed. I take it that
the pricks on the M25 who held me up will write to apologize to me:
why do motorists do that - delaying me when I am in my car?
Old February 27th 12, 11:43 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Theodore[_3_]

Cyclists are ******s. It's not rocket science.
Old February 27th 12, 12:03 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr. Benn[_13_]

"Theodore" wrote in message
[...]

No they are not generally - not normal cyclists anyway. I cycle
occasionally but I am aware of causing delays to following traffic and stop
to allow it to pass if it starts to build up. It's just a few who give the
rest a bad name I think. The militant cyclists are the problem who think
they have to make a political point every time they take to the road.

Old February 27th 12, 12:13 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Bartc

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
Got held up behind a long line of traffic yesterday. After a few minutes,
it became apparent what was holding up the traffic. Two cyclists kitted
out like they were taking part in the Tour de France riding two-abreast
and occupying the whole lane. This was making it more difficult for
traffic to pass them with adequate clearance. Having had a look at the
Highway Code, it says the following:

Section 66. You should:

"never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or
busy roads and when riding round bends"

(http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069837)

There is nothing wrong in riding two abreast on quiet roads but on busy
roads, the Highway Code says cyclists should ride single-file. The road I
was on yesterday was very busy.

Nice work bothering to go and look up the exact section in the Highway Code.
Of course, if it said nothing about the matter, you would accept the
situation quite stoically! But, no, you have to prove that the cyclists were
actually in the wrong!

Obviously, no *motorist*, especially not yourself, has ever, ever
contravened any of the rules in the Highway Code.

Why do cyclists do these things? Is a deliberate ploy to wind up drivers?

Why does anybody do anything to annoy drivers? Most holdups are actually
caused by road accidents, road-works, badly sequenced traffic lights, other
cars, trucks and buses, tractors, and myriad other things not remotely
connected with cycling.

So why the preoccupation with this mode of transport? Are cyclists the new
Jews or Blacks or something; you can't bash those anymore so you choose a
vulnerable section of society to attack instead, backed up by law because
some of them flout a few traffic laws (as though no-one else has ever done
that)?

--
Bartc

Old February 27th 12, 12:25 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 01:57:19 -0800 (PST), Brake Pad
wrote:

[...]

You seem to be an inordinate liar.

Do you sometimes post as Porky Chapman?

Old February 27th 12, 01:00 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Nkosi (ama-ecosse)[_2_]

On Feb 26, 11:41*pm, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Is it supposed to be a table d'hote menu?- Hide quoted text -

Tell that to the little **** in a green fiesta zetec SP 01 ONO who
started to accelarate when I was overtaking him between Throsk and
Fallin this morning on my way to work.

Nkosi
Old February 27th 12, 01:42 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Theodore[_3_]

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:03:31 -0000, "Mr. Benn"
wrote:

"Theodore" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If it was such a small number it seems quite remarkable they all seem
to be going in my direction.
Old February 27th 12, 01:43 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Theodore[_3_]

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:13:32 -0000, "BartC" wrote:

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
[...]

No they get bashed because of their actions. They're a menace and a
law onto themselves.
Old February 27th 12, 02:04 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
NorthWalesYorkie[_2_]

On Feb 26, 5:50*pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:

Why do cyclists do these things? *Is a deliberate ploy to wind up drivers?

Why does Benn post such drivel? Is a deliberate ploy to wind up
cyclists?