OT- How to be a true Republican...

Old August 21st 04, 04:27 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default OT- How to be a true Republican...

On 21 Aug 2004 02:28:06 -0700, (Howard)
wrote in message :

Off topic, but worth sharing...

Amusing. I've just been to get stitched up[1] at A&E, forgot my book
so SWMBO bought me a copy of "Dude, where's my country?" - quality
polemic :-)

[1] Note to self: extremely right-handed people should exercise double
care when using power tools left-handed in confined spaces. Oh, and
it was glue, not stitches.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old August 21st 04, 07:16 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:42:32 +0100, Jon Senior
jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote in message
:

The power tool in question was...

A Proxxon FBS 240E handheld power thingy. A bit like a Dremel but it
works, as the bloke in the shop said ;-)

Old August 21st 04, 08:56 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:01:22 GMT, Velvet
wrote in message :

Did you know it was about to happen, just before it did, but you carried
on anyway? That's always my mistake. The 'Hmm, I can see this going
wrong any secon... ouch, dammit, *$&%!!' effect.

Quite the opposite. "What is that strange sensation? Hmmm. Ah, yes,
it's PAIN!!!"

Old August 21st 04, 11:31 PM
David Hansen

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:58:32 +0100 someone who may be Jon Senior
jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote this:-

I was chopping some frozen steak with a serrated knife.

My food processor came with a "free" electric carving knife (I did
ask, but they insisted I have it). I am very aware when I use the
frozen food blades of how quickly they could cut through my fingers
and that the cold would slow down my detecting them starting to cut
my fingers. So far so good.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old August 22nd 04, 12:05 PM
Velvet

Jon Senior wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? opined the
following...

Quite the opposite. "What is that strange sensation? Hmmm. Ah, yes,
it's PAIN!!!"

My crowning achievement for the "stupid mistake" stakes was the day I
was chopping some frozen steak with a serrated knife. There was a
microwave there. I could have just defrosted it. But I'd started, so I
was damned if I was going to give up then. What stopped me was the
sensation of sawing through my thumbnail! The pain took a while to
arrive but the sensation alone was enough to make me nauseous.

Jon

Yeah, my latest was slicing the length of my thumb open with breadknife,
while slicing baguette. Knife got thumb instead of baguette. "Ouch" I
thought as I realised what I was doing, and stopped - too late to avoid
the very deep very long incision which then gaped alarmingly at me, in a
very sliced-baguette manner.

"Ouch" I thought again, whilst also realising that it didn't hurt, yet.
Thumb rapidly stuck in mouth to seal it all back together and prevent
imminent blood pourage onto floor, while I went to the bathroom to
assess damage further and locate large plaster.

Thumb bled a teeny amount when washed under tap, so it got stuck back in
the mouth while I fumbled with plaster (I'm a firm believer that saliva
has good healing things in). Once plastered, it actually took a couple
of days before it even twinged. Quite how I avoided pain and gushing
blood I'm not sure, but I'm not complaining - though I have changed my
method of slicing baguettes ;-)

--

Velvet
Old August 22nd 04, 01:27 PM
Jon Senior

Velvet wrote:
Quite how I avoided pain and gushing
blood I'm not sure, but I'm not complaining - though I have changed my
method of slicing baguettes ;-)

The lack of blood implies that you managed to miss any blood vessels worth
talking about. The lack of pain might well be due to the interaction
between a very sharp knife and the nerves themselves.

I guess the important question is... were these accidents? Your feelings
Guy? :-)

Jon