Upgrade to a bomb prof racing/training wheel

Old August 23rd 04, 06:01 PM
big Pete

Default Upgrade to a bomb prof racing/training wheel

Hi all,
A lbs can get me a campy hub that will fit the spacing of my 198
Binache road bike. I would prefer a 36 holed hub. I am 245 pounds.
was thinking of getting a low/mid end double walled duel eyeleted rim
The current hub on the bike is suntour and the rim is Araya. Here ar
my questions:

1) Is the campy hub any stronger than the one I have now (the one
have on the bike is the original suntour hub)?

2) Will a low/mid double walled rim be stronger than the original Aray
rim?

3) What would be a good spoke pattern for a big guy like me? Two cross
Three cross? Crows foot? Or a mix?

Any other ideas and/or comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Pete

P.S. I want to build this myself

--
big Pete

Old August 23rd 04, 08:26 PM
Ted

big Pete wrote:

Hi all,
A lbs can get me a campy hub that will fit the spacing of my 1986
Binache road bike. I would prefer a 36 holed hub. I am 245 pounds. I
was thinking of getting a low/mid end double walled duel eyeleted rim.
The current hub on the bike is suntour and the rim is Araya. Here are
my questions:

1) Is the campy hub any stronger than the one I have now (the one I
have on the bike is the original suntour hub)?

Doubt it. It is shinier, may have better bearings, and will get more
attention from bike geeks. What's wrong with the present hub?

2) Will a low/mid double walled rim be stronger than the original Araya
rim?

Maybe. Why do you want to replace the rim?

3) What would be a good spoke pattern for a big guy like me? Two cross?
Three cross? Crows foot? Or a mix?

That's easy. Three cross.

Any other ideas and/or comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Pete

P.S. I want to build this myself.

Good on ya.
Old August 23rd 04, 10:09 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

big Pete wrote in message ...

Hi all,
A lbs can get me a campy hub that will fit the spacing of my 1986
Binache road bike. I would prefer a 36 holed hub. I am 245 pounds. I
was thinking of getting a low/mid end double walled duel eyeleted rim.
The current hub on the bike is suntour and the rim is Araya. Here are
my questions:

1) Is the campy hub any stronger than the one I have now (the one I
have on the bike is the original suntour hub)?

2) Will a low/mid double walled rim be stronger than the original Araya
rim?

3) What would be a good spoke pattern for a big guy like me? Two cross?
Three cross? Crows foot? Or a mix?

The alternative hub will most probably be indifferent in strength to the
suntour. Rim strength is not the same as bending stiffness, or resistance
to buckling. Any rim taking a suitable tyre size will be appropriate.
Pick the cheapest rim to suit the tyre you require. It will be strong
enough. Use 15swg plain gauge galvanised steel spokes. Make it 3x 36
install spokes correcting their route at the crossing point. Use linseed
oil on the nipples. Tension so as to support maximum loading.

Trevor

Old August 23rd 04, 10:55 PM
daveornee

big Pete Wrote:
Hi all,
A lbs can get me a campy hub that will fit the spacing of my 198
Binache road bike. I would prefer a 36 holed hub. I am 245 pounds.
was thinking of getting a low/mid end double walled duel eyeleted rim
The current hub on the bike is suntour and the rim is Araya. Here ar
my questions:

1) Is the campy hub any stronger than the one I have now (the one
have on the bike is the original suntour hub)?

2) Will a low/mid double walled rim be stronger than the original Aray
rim?

3) What would be a good spoke pattern for a big guy like me? Two cross
Three cross? Crows foot? Or a mix?

Any other ideas and/or comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Pete

P.S. I want to build this myself.

Are you dealing with Suntour index shifting?

Do you intend to keep Suntour cassette or freewheel?

What is the over locknut dimension?
and do you intend to keep it?

A double walled eyeletted/socketed rim will likely be stronger tha
existing.

3 cross with DT Competition double butted would be strongest.

What size tire so you intend/want to run?

How weight sensitive are you?

Have you looked at Ritchey Trekking for it's OCR rims?
http://www.ritcheylogic.com/trpdfcharts/rims.pdf

& Bontrager Maverick OSB:
http://www.bontrager.com/mountainrims/detail.asp?id=110&pt=6

Offsetting the spoke holes has the benefit of more evenly sharing th
load amongst left and right side spokes of a rear wheel

--
daveornee

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Attaching rear wheel Roger Zoul General 10 October 21st 03 11:35 AM
MA3 rim failure, where to now B Techniques 258 October 10th 03 08:46 PM
Wheel Covers used in Time Trials Shock Techniques 5 July 23rd 03 10:17 PM
Rear wheel building questions Antti Salonen Techniques 4 July 15th 03 08:42 PM