Newcomer

Old October 31st 05, 01:23 PM
poppygrundy poppygrundy is offline
Junior Member

Default Newcomer

Hi
I am as the title says a newcomer to the site and am looking to buy my first mountain bike. I need something light and v easy to maintain, can anyone give me some advice.
Look forward to hearing from you
Jill
Old October 31st 05, 01:37 PM
Coyoteboy

Jill,

We might need more info than that to give you a sensible answer. Such
as budget, terrain where you are going to use it mostly etc..

Old October 31st 05, 02:54 PM
small change

poppygrundy wrote:
Hi
I am as the title says a newcomer to the site and am looking to buy my
first mountain bike. I need something light and v easy to maintain,
can anyone give me some advice.
Look forward to hearing from you
Jill

this FAQ may help but as mentioned, riding style, budget, ability and what
kind of trails all factor into things

http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/

Old October 31st 05, 03:25 PM
Bill Sornson

poppygrundy wrote:
Hi
I am as the title says a newcomer to the site and am looking to buy my
first mountain bike. I need something light and v easy to maintain,
can anyone give me some advice.
Look forward to hearing from you

Best advice is to visit your LBSs (local bike shops). Tell them what kind
of riding you want/expect to do, how much money you have in mind spending,
and try a few bikes out for feel.

The best choice for you will emerge from the pack!

Good luck, and check back in and let us know how the search goes.

Bill S.

Old October 31st 05, 03:43 PM
coinking

poppygrundy wrote:
Hi
I am as the title says a newcomer to the site and am looking to buy my
first mountain bike. I need something light and v easy to maintain, can
anyone give me some advice.
Look forward to hearing from you
Jill

Sorry Jill but there is no place for girls in mountain biking. Maybe
you should take up a hobby like needlecraft or cooking? If you insist
on purchasing a bike, then go to Sears and buy the cheapest bike you
can find.

Old October 31st 05, 04:32 PM
Marz

Welcome to the groups and to mountain biking.

The faq 'small change' links to is a great place to start and I'd like
to second the comment about buying second hand or last year's stock. At
this time of year all the 2006 bikes are out, so it's a good time to
pick up a 2005 bike at a knock down price.

If you have somewhere local to you that rents out bikes by the hour and
they have reasonable bikes to rent, try one and see how it feels.

If you're after something light are you thinking of racing someday?

Laters,

Marz

Old October 31st 05, 08:55 PM
Paladin

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
poppygrundy wrote:
Hi
I am as the title says a newcomer to the site and am looking to buy my
first mountain bike. I need something light and v easy to maintain,
can anyone give me some advice.
Look forward to hearing from you

Best advice is to visit your LBSs (local bike shops). Tell them what kind
of riding you want/expect to do, how much money you have in mind spending,
and try a few bikes out for feel.

The best choice for you will emerge from the pack!

Good luck, and check back in and let us know how the search goes.

Bill S.

Ultimately, this is the best advice. You'll know within 5 minutes of
chatting with the lbs folks whether its a place you'd be comfortable
spending your money. If you're just another quick sale to them, find
another place. If they're genuinely interested in you, and take the time to
ascertain your situation, then you might want to buy your bike there. If
your town has several bike shops, then it will be a competitive market and
you won't really have to worry about getting overcharged. All the shops
know what the other guys are charging for comparable bikes.

hth, and have fun

CDB

Old October 31st 05, 09:08 PM
Dave E

. ..

poppygrundy wrote:
[...]

Good advice. Also, ask about rides that they may organise. If you think
you're interested in mountain biking, then this is a great way to find out.
My local bike shop here in Sydney has rides for all comers. Great place to
learn and maybe to join a group of like minded people at your level. This
way you'll find more tracks too.

Cheers,
Dave E

Old November 1st 05, 12:03 AM
gabrielle

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:25:07 +0000, Bill Sornson wrote:

poppygrundy wrote:
Hi
I am as the title says a newcomer to the site and am looking to buy my
first mountain bike. I need something light and v easy to maintain,
can anyone give me some advice.
Look forward to hearing from you

Best advice is to visit your LBSs (local bike shops). Tell them what kind
of riding you want/expect to do, how much money you have in mind spending,
and try a few bikes out for feel.

And turn your BS detector on "Extra Super Sensitive."

gabrielle