iPhone mapping and tracking

Old July 12th 11, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Default iPhone mapping and tracking

Any suggestions on which iPhone apps to map and track?

I tried everytrail but the awful web UI puts me off it - as does its
inability to actually route.

From the same crowd is a "The bike computer" app but that doesnt
continute to track if you switch away from it.

I'm new to the iPhone on a bike thing - it looks promising but any
pointer greatfully received. (I already have a secure mount).

Old July 15th 11, 08:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anton Success

On Jul 12, 9:57*pm, Simon Lewis wrote:
Any suggestions on which iPhone apps to map and track?

I tried everytrail but the awful web UI puts me off it - as does its
inability to actually route.

From the same crowd is a "The bike computer" app but that doesnt
continute to track if you switch away from it.

I'm new to the iPhone on a bike thing - it looks promising but any
pointer greatfully received. (I already have a secure mount).

It seems that you have discovered the exact reason why garmin is
still in business. Purpose built devices are, well,
purpose built :-)
I have no desire to lug my iphone on my bike.
Old July 15th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Larry Moss

On Jul 12, 9:57*pm, Simon Lewis wrote:
Any suggestions on which iPhone apps to map and track?

I am very happily using Cyclemeter (http://www.abvio.com/). But this brings
up a question I've had recently. What are people using to charge iphones on
their bikes? I just ordered a sidewall dynamo that has a USB port
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JWTPLA), so I
suppose I should have asked this question before. I'll see how happy I am
with my choice when it arrives.

In my search for a generator, I was curious about using wind power. I only
found one mini wind turbine that said it could power an iphone, but it
seemed awfully expensive. Wind power seems like a good choice on a bike. As
long as you're moving, you'll have wind, much like a friction-base
generator on the wheel, but it seems like there would be less need for
proper positioning. Just face it forward into the wind. I can't believe no
one's looked into this, so what am I missing? Is this less efficient than a
sidewall generator for some reason? There's already lots of resistence
against the wind from your body, so is this adding that much more
resistence if it's placed in the front of the bike?

Thanks!

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
Old July 16th 11, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_17_]

In article , Larry Moss
wrote:

Wind power seems like a good choice on a bike.

Wind is a *bad* choice for anything but larger installations. I mean,
you take what you can get, but those handheld "fan" style things don't
even put out 1/10th of a Watt. You *might* be able to trickle charge a
phone with a strong breeze all day, but you'd be better off spending a
minute with a crank generator to accomplish the same thing.

As
long as you're moving, you'll have wind, much like a friction-base
generator on the wheel, but it seems like there would be less need for
proper positioning. Just face it forward into the wind.

Unless you happen to be riding with a 15mph tail wind. Or get strong
gusts from the side. And then you turn a corner and need to readjust
everything. No, proper positioning would be *harder* on a bike;
something akin to sailing.

I can't believe no
one's looked into this, so what am I missing? Is this less efficient than a
sidewall generator for some reason?

For all sorts of reasons; trying to control the wind like that is worse
than trying to herd cats. Not that a bottle generator is any great
ideal of efficiency, either. The most efficient would probably be
something built right into the bottom bracket, so it goes right from you
into the crank and into electricity. Hub generators are a fair
compromise for most cycling needs.

--
iPhone apps that matter: http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, astraweb.com,
Old July 16th 11, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Larry Moss writes:

On Jul 12, 9:57Â*pm, Simon Lewis wrote:
Any suggestions on which iPhone apps to map and track?

I am very happily using Cyclemeter (http://www.abvio.com/). But this brings
up a question I've had recently. What are people using to charge iphones on
their bikes? I just ordered a sidewall dynamo that has a USB port
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JWTPLA), so I
suppose I should have asked this question before. I'll see how happy I am
with my choice when it arrives.

Zzing or e-Werk.

Brilliant.

http://www.ebike-easy.com/products/P...le-E-WERK.html

I use the Zzing.

http://www.zzing.de/
Old July 16th 11, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Larry Moss writes:

On Jul 12, 9:57Â*pm, Simon Lewis wrote:
Any suggestions on which iPhone apps to map and track?

I am very happily using Cyclemeter (http://www.abvio.com/). But this
brings

great suggestion. Exactly what I was looking for.

My Edge 800 is not out the gap - hard to use, non untuitive ui, ****ty
"windows only" map source etc.

The combo of my schmidt hub dynamo, zzing and iphone is now really
unbeatable.

Old July 17th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

Default OT - Cat Herding

[...]

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old July 17th 11, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Phil W Lee writes:

Doc O'Leary considered Sat, 16
Jul 2011 11:50:04 -0500 the perfect time to write:

In article , Larry Moss
wrote:

[...]

Not a compromise at all - they exploit the ability to still generate
power when you are coasting downhill, the very time you've got most to
spare.

The human being who can detect the drag caused by a SON in operation is
a very rare thing.
Old July 17th 11, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

On 7/16/2011 1:15 PM, Simon Lewis wrote:
Larry writes:

On Jul 12, 9:57 pm, Simon wrote:
Any suggestions on which iPhone apps to map and track?

I am very happily using Cyclemeter (http://www.abvio.com/). But this
brings

great suggestion. Exactly what I was looking for.

My Edge 800 is not out the gap - hard to use, non untuitive ui, ****ty
"windows only" map source etc.

The combo of my schmidt hub dynamo, zzing and iphone is now really
unbeatable.

butbutbut, who wants to support the manufactured trendiness of Appleâ„¢
products, and the snobby attitude of their users?

Old July 17th 11, 12:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Larry writes:

On Jul 12, 9:57 pm, Simon wrote:
Any suggestions on which iPhone apps to map and track?

I am very happily using Cyclemeter (http://www.abvio.com/). But this
brings

great suggestion. Exactly what I was looking for.

My Edge 800 is not out the gap - hard to use, non untuitive ui, ****ty
"windows only" map source etc.

The combo of my schmidt hub dynamo, zzing and iphone is now really
unbeatable.

butbutbut, who wants to support the manufactured trendiness of Appleâ„¢ products,
and the snobby attitude of their users?

What are you talking about?

What snobby attitude?

Or are you claiming all Apple users are the same? I have an old 3g and
it knocks the socks off any Android "mess" I have tried. Admittedly its
jail broken with cydia installed.

TdF tracking Bob Martin Racing 2 July 10th 10 02:11 AM
For Sale Apple Iphone 8gb And Apple Iphone 16 Gb timboy43 Unicycling 0 March 15th 08 01:37 PM
For Sale : Apple 4gb Iphone @ 200usd/8Gb Apple Iphone @ 280usd jon32 Unicycling 0 October 31st 07 10:05 AM
Tracking rides hiyaa General 8 May 11th 07 12:49 PM
Tracking [email protected] Mountain Biking 5 September 17th 03 05:21 PM