Cross shiftting

Old July 18th 11, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. slocomb

Default Cross shiftting

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 20:59:57 -0700, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
John B. Slocomb wrote:

"Cross shifting", i.e., Large chain Ring/large cassette cog or small
chain ring/small cog is generally taken as a mortal sin. But with a
triple chain ring what limits are made to the shift pattern when on
the center ring? Assuming that the chain line through the center line
of the 5th cog, on a 9 speed cassette, and the center line of the
center chain ring?

It appears to me that considering the actual distance between the
three chain rings versus the actual distances on the cassette that the
center chain ring should be able to shift to any cog without problems.

I cross chain whenever I feel like it.
When convenient I change over to a straighter run.
Do not allow guilt to poison your life. Chains are cheap.

I don't. One is either far ahead, in which case let them envy. Or, so
far behind that no one cares what you are doing :-)

John B. Slocomb
(johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
Old July 18th 11, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

Cross-chaining concerns are from back in the day when chains were wide
and stiff and chainstays short. OK chainstays can still be short but
shouldn't be if you are using a triple... Obviously if you are one
end or the other of the middle ring, time to shift in front, but the
only harm is a small loss of efficiency.
Old July 18th 11, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 7/18/2011 3:15 PM, JG wrote:
Cross-chaining concerns are from back in the day when chains were wide
and stiff and chainstays short. OK chainstays can still be short but
shouldn't be if you are using a triple... Obviously if you are one
end or the other of the middle ring, time to shift in front, but the
only harm is a small loss of efficiency.

It's still a concern if you are using a double.

Old July 19th 11, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

John B. wrote:

"Cross shifting", i.e., Large chain Ring/large cassette cog or small
chain ring/small cog is generally taken as a mortal sin. But with a
triple chain ring what limits are made to the shift pattern when on
the center ring? Assuming that the chain line through the center line
of the 5th cog, on a 9 speed cassette, and the center line of the
center chain ring?

It appears to me that considering the actual distance between the
three chain rings versus the actual distances on the cassette that the
center chain ring should be able to shift to any cog without problems.

I cross chain whenever I feel like it.
When convenient I change over to a straighter run.
Do not allow guilt to poison your life. Chains are cheap.

+1

Long as you don't run it off the chain ring when you're climbing up a hill.
Old July 19th 11, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Michael Press wrote:

I cross chain whenever I feel like it.
When convenient I change over to a straighter run.
Do not allow guilt to poison your life. Chains are cheap.

Spoken like someone who rides the clutch pedal.

I have customers who "only ever use the big ring" or "never touch the
shifter on that side". That's just nincompoopery. There's no reason
to feel guilty about using your machine intentionally whatever way you
want to, and accepting whatever consequences come along with that.
But if your habits are a result of plain mental laziness, then you
_should_ feel guilty, if such guilt has any chance of kickstarting
your brain.

Chalo
Old July 20th 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

Default Cross-chaining

On 7/19/2011 3:57 PM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
Michael Press wrote:

I cross chain whenever I feel like it.
When convenient I change over to a straighter run.
Do not allow guilt to poison your life. Chains are cheap.

Spoken like someone who rides the clutch pedal.

I have customers who "only ever use the big ring" or "never touch the
shifter on that side". That's just nincompoopery. There's no reason
to feel guilty about using your machine intentionally whatever way you
want to, and accepting whatever consequences come along with that.
But if your habits are a result of plain mental laziness, then you
_should_ feel guilty, if such guilt has any chance of kickstarting
your brain.

Small-small (with triple chainrings) is nice at the start of a steep
hill, as the slower shift on the front can be avoided as speed drops
off. Of course in this situation, one is not using the combination for
long.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old July 20th 11, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Michael Press wrote:

[...]

You must be doing it wrong. Front shifts are clean and quick on my
'race' bike. I can downshift under load at any time, even when the
chain is creaking on the steep bits. Even when I used a 10 tooth
differential it wasn't bad, but 3's a dream.
Old July 20th 11, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Michael Press wrote:

[...]

Which differential are you referring too?

Most road bikes come standard with a 53 and a 39 tooth CR.

--
JS
Old July 20th 11, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

James wrote:

thirty-six wrote:

Front shifts are clean and quick on my
'race' bike. *I can downshift under load at any time, even when the
chain is creaking on the steep bits. *Even when I used a 10 tooth
differential it wasn't bad, but 3's a dream.

Which differential are you referring too?

Most road bikes come standard with a 53 and a 39 tooth CR.

Trevor lives on Planet Wherever, where bikes and the laws of physics
are different. All his assertions must be assessed in that context.

Chalo