Cross shiftting

Old July 20th 11, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Cross-chaining

Chalo wrote:
James wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
Front shifts are clean and quick on my
'race' bike. I can downshift under load at any time, even when the
chain is creaking on the steep bits. Even when I used a 10 tooth
differential it wasn't bad, but 3's a dream.

Which differential are you referring too?

Most road bikes come standard with a 53 and a 39 tooth CR.

Trevor lives on Planet Wherever, where bikes and the laws of physics
are different. All his assertions must be assessed in that context.

Yeah, a 47-51 front is no good, who could win with that?

http://www.pbkblog.com/wp-content/up...sto_coppi1.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 20th 11, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

On 7/19/2011 8:37 PM, James wrote:
On 20/07/2011 11:13 AM, thirty-six wrote:
[...]
You must be doing it wrong. Front shifts are clean and quick on my
'race' bike. I can downshift under load at any time, even when the
chain is creaking on the steep bits. Even when I used a 10 tooth
differential it wasn't bad, but 3's a dream.

Which differential are you referring too?

Most road bikes come standard with a 53 and a 39 tooth CR.

Why would a bicycle have a differential?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old July 20th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On 7/19/2011 9:37 PM, James wrote:
On 20/07/2011 11:13 AM, thirty-six wrote:
On Jul 20, 12:59 am, "T°m Sherm@n"""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 7/19/2011 3:57 PM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

I cross chain whenever I feel like it.
When convenient I change over to a straighter run.
Do not allow guilt to poison your life. Chains are cheap.

Spoken like someone who rides the clutch pedal.

I have customers who "only ever use the big ring" or "never touch the
shifter on that side". That's just nincompoopery. There's no reason
to feel guilty about using your machine intentionally whatever way you
want to, and accepting whatever consequences come along with that.
But if your habits are a result of plain mental laziness, then you
_should_ feel guilty, if such guilt has any chance of kickstarting
your brain.

Small-small (with triple chainrings) is nice at the start of a steep
hill, as the slower shift on the front can be avoided as speed drops
off. Of course in this situation, one is not using the combination for
long.

You must be doing it wrong. Front shifts are clean and quick on my
'race' bike. I can downshift under load at any time, even when the
chain is creaking on the steep bits. Even when I used a 10 tooth
differential it wasn't bad, but 3's a dream.

Which differential are you referring too?

Most road bikes come standard with a 53 and a 39 tooth CR.

Guy with the Roubaix passed me on the way up the hill Sunday His bike
has a compact double
so he has a 50/34T. I passed him on the way down though with my 53/39
double.

Both are fairly common setups these days.

Old July 20th 11, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

Michael Press wrote:

[...]

Trevor's 3 tooth differential may refer to 3 teeth of difference between the
chainrings. As I recall, a 52/49 was a reasonably common front ring
combination for half-step gearing.
Kerry

Old July 20th 11, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Michael Press wrote:

[...]

I wish. It's 42 and 39. Just happened to be the cheapest way of
fixing a half-step. I need to step it up a bit, but don't need my
52. I'll look in to it again of getting some cheap rings (135mm) of
more appropriate sizing. I already have a 48 and so a 44 or 45 looks
on the cards but not usually available from Stronglight (which was the
cheapest supply source). The 42/39 selection was just to prove the
system and suits well when climbing and most flat work for me. I'm
just tending to use the outer sprockets a bit more on the flat, means
the chain is a litttle more crook than it could be.
Old July 20th 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Cross shiftting

In article
,
Chalo wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

I cross chain whenever I feel like it.
When convenient I change over to a straighter run.
Do not allow guilt to poison your life. Chains are cheap.

Spoken like someone who rides the clutch pedal.

Wow.

I have customers who "only ever use the big ring" or "never touch the
shifter on that side". That's just nincompoopery.

Name calling.

There's no reason
to feel guilty about using your machine intentionally whatever way you
want to, and accepting whatever consequences come along with that.
But if

What do you mean `if'?

your habits are a result of plain mental laziness, then you
_should_ feel guilty, if such guilt has any chance of kickstarting
your brain.

Telling me what I should do again. I do not do what you
tell me I should do, and I feel _good_ about it. Not
only do I feel good about defying your injunctions, I
experience an ongoing sense of satisfaction and
gratification for a job well done.

--
Michael Press
Old July 20th 11, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Michael Press wrote:

*Chalo wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

I cross chain whenever I feel like it.
When convenient I change over to a straighter run.
Do not allow guilt to poison your life. Chains are cheap.

Spoken like someone who rides the clutch pedal.

Wow.

I have customers who "only ever use the big ring" or "never touch the
shifter on that side". *That's just nincompoopery. *

Name calling.

Naming.

There's no reason
to feel guilty about using your machine intentionally whatever way you
want to, and accepting whatever consequences come along with that.
But if

What do you mean `if'?

your habits are a result of plain mental laziness, then you
_should_ feel guilty, if such guilt has any chance of kickstarting
your brain.

Telling me what I should do again. I do not do what you
tell me I should do, and I feel _good_ about it. Not
only do I feel good about defying your injunctions, I
experience an ongoing sense of satisfaction and
gratification for a job well done.

Then the results of these actions will be duly opted into, and no
cause for concern.

I should have been more clear that I presume you fall into the first
group (use your machine as you like, with intention; accept
consequences) rather than the second group I often see at work
(mentally lazy).

Not feeling good about mental laziness is a healthy reaction to having
it pointed out. If you own your choices and their consequences, then
you probably don't care one way or the other when they are pointed
out. Smugness is of course optional, but often enjoyable.

Chalo
Old July 20th 11, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Chalo wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

Â*Chalo wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

I cross chain whenever I feel like it.
When convenient I change over to a straighter run.
Do not allow guilt to poison your life. Chains are cheap.

Spoken like someone who rides the clutch pedal.

Wow.

I have customers who "only ever use the big ring" or "never touch the
shifter on that side". Â*That's just nincompoopery. Â*

Name calling.

Naming.

A subtle difference that escapes me.
Derogatory terms are name calling to me.

[...]

You said `if ..., then you _should_ feel guilty',
and I take you at your word. Say what you mean,
and we can avoid these misunderstandings.

--
Michael Press