my 28er, the Rowing Machine

Old February 16th 05, 06:59 AM
jagur

Default my 28er, the Rowing Machine

i finally got this built up! i had it together as a 26er for the last 2
months but always wanted to jam a 28" (700c) wheel in there.

ive riddin 700c wheels before but only with a fat WTB tyre making it a
29er. the 700x38 Michelin tyre i have rolls out to 86.5 inches. its not
that much bigger than my 26" but the weight loss is incredible! it takes
nothing to get this wheel going and i can hop/roll up curbs no handed
with just a little groin grab

between the 38c tyre, the larger diameter rim, double butted spokes,
reziliant frame made by Joe Rowing and the thick foam of a Torker DX
seat its not nearly as harsh a ride as some have posted it would be. you
certainly *dont* "feel every bump" you do feel more sharp hits but im
never surprised by them.

i keep my tyre pumped to 85psi. you would never want to go below 65
since cornering can fold the tyre really easy under 65. at 85 its really
solid for having all my weight on it with all the (Harper knows the real
words) forces of nature adding to it. cornering and stuff.

i have never liked 22.2 seat tubes but Joe made the seat tube really
long and the seat post doesnt twist at all since the bolts are high up,
just under the seat. also the skinner seat tube acually looks really
good with a skinny tyre complmenting it. im useing an FMF Alloy seatpost
that goes all the way down to the crown. its one of the few light seat
posts available in 22.2 but it was $45 plus ship. the CF version is $80
ouch!

127mm cranks
Salsa Delgato-X rim
UDC hub (the new ones are black and slightly less quality, the paint is
cheap. the chome ones looked better)

i decided to go with stainless spokes this time since the hub came
black. i saved some cash there, the stainless 14/15's are 60cents and
the black are a dollar a piece. i also hunted down some longer spoke
nipples instead of the small DT ones. i like them better.

its 12 pounds maybe less, i need to get to a better scale than my spring
loaded 50 year old brass fish scale from late grandad.

'Pictures are here' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album155)

| Attachment filename: tosh.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/279093|

jagur - Random Unicyclist

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old February 16th 05, 07:06 AM
Tim

Awesome! It looks really good. This one seemed to last a little longer
then some of the other unis you've made.

So when does it go for sale? Because I know it will.

--
Tim - Jelly Bean Eater

Tim 'Braun' (http://www.tim.com.mk/izdanija/1/189.jpg)

Fresh!
Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

Old February 16th 05, 08:07 AM
daino149

That's one nice looking ride! Do you have a closeup of the longer
nipples? I like looking at them

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
I need to find a job

Old February 16th 05, 09:57 AM
Tim

daino149 wrote:
*That's one nice looking ride! Do you have a closeup of the longer
nipples? I like looking at them *

Yeah the one with his son in the picture.

Old February 16th 05, 04:07 PM
jagur

Tim wrote:
* This one seemed to last a little longer then some of the other unis
you've made. *

yeah, well the frame has at least. the original 26" wheel is long gone
and now in hurricane country.

Old February 16th 05, 10:02 PM
Frank A.

That came out nice. The Delgado X's are pretty tough. I've got them on
my Hunter 29er (two wheeler )

I tried but I can't figure out what you have on your head in the
pics???

- Frank

--
Frank A.

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

Old February 16th 05, 11:47 PM
jagur

Frank A. wrote:
*I tried but I can't figure out what you have on your head in the
pics???*

finaly, i was starting to think no one noticed which would be strange
since ive been shaving my head for the last 5 years. im wearing a wig.

Old February 17th 05, 01:03 AM
darkp0is3n

I have been shaving my head for...almost a year I beleive.

--
darkp0is3n - Sucks At Unicycling
darkp0is3n's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8905

Old February 17th 05, 01:19 AM
bugman

Tim wrote:
*Awesome! It looks really good. This one seemed to last a little
longer then some of the other unis you've made.

So when does it go for sale? Because I know it will. *

I can't believe someone beat me to it. So Jag, what's it selling for,
or is it going to be auctioned.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Old February 17th 05, 01:55 AM
S_Wallis

It's good to see the uni you are currrently providing a temporary foster
home for. Please don't dismember the poor thing like you did the last
one. That's just wrong.

It looks interesting, and I am sure it does feel quick and nimble.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520