The Cyclist the Camera and the Carriage Clock

Old June 22nd 05, 03:32 PM
spademan o---[) *

Default The Cyclist the Camera and the Carriage Clock

I'm the kind of person who loves making solutions to problems which
don't really exist. Hence one day I wondered if I could attach my
digi-cam to my bike in such a way to avoid smashing my camera to bits
when I stack (I stack - lots) in order to take short video clips that
would probably be of interest to no-one but myself and a couple of
weirdos who frequent this group (alright Shaun!).
I wanted to make something that would protect the camera whilst still
allowing quick access to the controls, and also something that could
detatch in the case of a direct impact to try and reduce the damage.
Carriage clock-cam was born
http://steve-t.fotopic.net/c588680.html

Total cost was =A31.80 - =A31 for the clock, 20p for a sheet of stainless
steel and 50p for four bolts the same spec as a tripod mount. I also
used a piece of mouse mat on the base for cushioning and a cork place
mat to hold the bold captive and provide grip for the camera.
Originally I hoped (rather naively I now realise) that the 'case' would
attach to the stainless steel 'mount' through velco, thus allowing it
to detatch easily. Let me tell you, velco is sh1t, and trying to glue
velco to ss is also near impossible. The hi-tech solution involved
elastic bands. These worked fine but more would be better...
If anyones still reading this by now, good for you, I've uploaded a
sample vid of the results here (6.5mb)
http://savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=3D1030819

Steve.

Old June 22nd 05, 03:47 PM
Ride-A-Lot

spademan o---[) * wrote:
I'm the kind of person who loves making solutions to problems which
don't really exist. Hence one day I wondered if I could attach my
digi-cam to my bike in such a way to avoid smashing my camera to bits
when I stack (I stack - lots) in order to take short video clips that
would probably be of interest to no-one but myself and a couple of
weirdos who frequent this group (alright Shaun!).
I wanted to make something that would protect the camera whilst still
allowing quick access to the controls, and also something that could
detatch in the case of a direct impact to try and reduce the damage.
Carriage clock-cam was born
http://steve-t.fotopic.net/c588680.html

Total cost was £1.80 - £1 for the clock, 20p for a sheet of stainless
steel and 50p for four bolts the same spec as a tripod mount. I also
used a piece of mouse mat on the base for cushioning and a cork place
mat to hold the bold captive and provide grip for the camera.
Originally I hoped (rather naively I now realise) that the 'case' would
attach to the stainless steel 'mount' through velco, thus allowing it
to detatch easily. Let me tell you, velco is sh1t, and trying to glue
velco to ss is also near impossible. The hi-tech solution involved
elastic bands. These worked fine but more would be better...
If anyones still reading this by now, good for you, I've uploaded a
sample vid of the results here (6.5mb)
http://savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=1030819

Steve.

OMFG! You are a looney! But, I've got to admit it was entertaining.
ARe you bunny hopping or are there jumps I'm not seeing. You hear the
sound stop and then bam it's going again. Now, you have to build some
shock absorbtion into the box.

Also, you must have some long ass fingers or giant hands. Maybe it's
the angle but your brake levers look like they are miles from the grips.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old June 22nd 05, 03:49 PM
Shaun aRe

"spademan o---[) *" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm the kind of person who loves making solutions to problems which
don't really exist.
____

Me too ut I have more fun inventing problems for solutions that don't exist.

Hence one day I wondered if I could attach my
digi-cam to my bike in such a way to avoid smashing my camera to bits
when I stack (I stack - lots) in order to take short video clips that
would probably be of interest to no-one but myself and a couple of
weirdos who frequent this group (alright Shaun!).
________

Indeed I am both of them.

I wanted to make something that would protect the camera whilst still
allowing quick access to the controls, and also something that could
detatch in the case of a direct impact to try and reduce the damage.
Carriage clock-cam was born
http://steve-t.fotopic.net/c588680.html

Total cost was £1.80 - £1 for the clock, 20p for a sheet of stainless
steel and 50p for four bolts the same spec as a tripod mount. I also
used a piece of mouse mat on the base for cushioning and a cork place
mat to hold the bold captive and provide grip for the camera.
________

You shoulda oughta maybe prolly used a Donegal place mat, but ne'er mind
mate...

Originally I hoped (rather naively I now realise) that the 'case' would
attach to the stainless steel 'mount' through velco, thus allowing it
to detatch easily. Let me tell you, velco is sh1t, and trying to glue
velco to ss is also near impossible. The hi-tech solution involved
elastic bands. These worked fine but more would be better...
__________

You need industrial strength self adhesive velcro, and industrial strength
superglue... and industrial strength peristance...

If anyones still reading this by now, good for you, I've uploaded a
sample vid of the results here (6.5mb)
http://savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=1030819

Steve.
________

I enjoyed it! Cool little s/t run with jumps in a nice forest - awww!

',;~}~

Cheers Steve!

Shaun aRe
--
Whenever I talk in circles, all the squares go elsewhere.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:01 PM
lowkey

"spademan o---[) *" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm the kind of person who loves making solutions to problems which
don't really exist.

Gee. I love making problems with no solutions.

Hence one day I wondered if I could attach my
digi-cam to my bike in such a way to avoid smashing my camera to bits
when I stack (I stack - lots) in order to take short video clips that
would probably be of interest to no-one but myself and a couple of
weirdos who frequent this group (alright Shaun!).
I wanted to make something that would protect the camera whilst still
allowing quick access to the controls, and also something that could
detatch in the case of a direct impact to try and reduce the damage.

Carriage clock-cam was born
http://steve-t.fotopic.net/c588680.html

Neat. I've thought of making some sort of helmet cam.

--
'Tire spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime'-rush

Old June 22nd 05, 04:14 PM
MattB

spademan o---[) * wrote:
snip
If anyones still reading this by now, good for you, I've uploaded a
sample vid of the results here (6.5mb)
http://savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=1030819

Steve.

I think I saw the Blair Witch!
Old June 22nd 05, 04:53 PM
Shaun aRe

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
spademan o---[) * wrote:
[...]

There's some great jumps, gaps etc. - hard to see because of the speed,
shaking and lighting.

You hear the
sound stop and then bam it's going again. Now, you have to build some
shock absorbtion into the box.

Also, you must have some long ass fingers or giant hands. Maybe it's
the angle but your brake levers look like they are miles from the grips.

He's part spider monkey - leave him alone.

Shaun aRe

Old June 22nd 05, 05:05 PM
Bill Sornson

spademan o---[) * wrote {post snippage}:

If anyones still reading this by now, good for you, I've uploaded a
sample vid of the results here (6.5mb)
http://savefile.com/filehost/files.php?fid=1030819

Your ground looks all funny -- kinda smooth and dark, with fluffy green
stuff spread about and big black pointy things shooting straight up.
Bizarre!

Bill "there's 60 seconds of life I'll never retrieve" S.

Old June 22nd 05, 06:59 PM
Chris Glidden

"spademan o---[) *" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Brilliant!

CG

Old June 23rd 05, 12:24 AM
Westie

spademan o---[) * wrote:
I'm the kind of person who loves making solutions to problems which
don't really exist.

LOL! I loved how the clearest parts of the whole video are the too
brief moments of air-time. How about you mount the sucker to your head?
I hate to say it after the time and thought that went into it, but
there is too much vibration to make it anything more than a novelty.
--
Westie
Old June 23rd 05, 09:00 AM
spademan o---[) *

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
OMFG! You are a looney!
But, I've got to admit it was entertaining.

ah excellent, job done.

ARe you bunny hopping or are there jumps I'm not seeing.

Small jumps, they blend in with the ground quite well...

You hear the
sound stop and then bam it's going again. Now, you have to build some
shock absorbtion into the box.

I think its always going to be a problem with the camera mounted on the
bike, more elastic bands holding the camera steady would help.

Also, you must have some long ass fingers or giant hands. Maybe it's
the angle but your brake levers look like they are miles from the grips.

Probably the angle, I'm running gripshift so have to have the levers
inboard quite a lot.
Steve.