Bicyclists going wrong way and other crimes

Old July 30th 04, 04:07 PM
Frank Krygowski

Default Bicyclists going wrong way and other crimes

Bill Baka wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:56:24 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

c) ride according to the rules of the road, so people can actually
give you right of way, anticipate your moves, see you where you're
expected to be, etc.

Yeah, C) would be the logical choice but I have been hit from behind
by a teenager in a lowered truck. I was already on the farthest right
side of the road, crossing some rr tracks and he had no oncoming traffic
and could have moved into the other lane but didn't bother.
His outside rear view mirror smacked my elbow...

It sounds like you were _too_ far off to the right.

Use a rear view mirror. (Some riders don't care for them, but anyone
who has your concern about hit-from-behind absolutely needs one.) Use
it to observe rearward traffic. If there's any doubt about having
enough passing clearance, take the lane.

This is standard practice among competent cyclists. It works.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old July 30th 04, 04:15 PM
Frank Krygowski

Bill Baka wrote:

This is California where motor vehicles are king and bicycles
are viewed as a nuisance by most of the motorists.

California has more cyclists than almost any state in the Union!

What do the other cyclists in your area do? Have you bothered to
discuss this with any of them?

There are some things you shouldn't try to figure out on your own. Try
stopping the next competent-looking cyclist you see and ask him what he
does on a road like you describe. Ask several of them.

I'm hoping that you'll be convinced by a face-to-face conversation.
That's even though you won't be convinced by these posted discussions
with competent cyclists, and won't be convinced by reading respected
documents like Street Smarts.

I wish they
would put in bike paths but with the budget this year that just
isn't going to happen.

If you imagine there will ever be bike paths whereever you want to go,
you'd better resign yourself to a long, long wait.

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Effecti...oadsWeHave.htm

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old July 30th 04, 04:51 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Default "non-functioning" lights (was: Bicyclists going wrong way)

Actually, many lights will recognise bicycles if the cyclist positions
the bike in such a way so the sensor loop (those square, circular or
octagonal cuts in the street, depending on where you live) can see them.
for details on how to do this, see:

http://www.geocities.com/czcorner/mac15.html

Note, this works with steel and aluminum framed bikes (I know, I have
both), so it should work with all metal frames. Bikes with carbon fiber
frames may not have enough metal in them for it to work. You'll have to
try it and see.

It certainly beats trying to argue about "functionality" with a cop (or
judge) in a society which may not be that
bicycle-friendly/knowledgeable. ("Ever hear of a walk button?" groan)

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old July 30th 04, 05:47 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article IcdOc.5363$NV3.3336@trndny01, says...
Central Park is even more fun. We have 'Sunday drivers' in England, but it
seems that the Park has spawned the two-wheel equivalent over here. On many
occasions I have been riding around, only to encounter a couple (usually
late thirties but groping each other like recalcitrant teenagers) happily
careening around the whole road and against the traffic. Combined speed of
impact would probably be around 40mph.
The one advantage is that they invariably are NOT looking where they are
going, which means we don't play hopscotch trying to avoid each other as our
paths cross. I just cycle out to the right (the track is counter-clockwise
with cars to one's right) and they pass by, oblivious in their
libido-infused ecstasy.
Still, I have in previous lives parted company with both bikes and
motorbikes and it hurts like hell, even at 15mph. Someone should encourage
these people at least to be aware that there is likely to be oncoming
traffic.

This doesn't happen when the roadways are open to motor vehicles. This is
one reason I oppose completely banning cars in central park. Once the
roads close to motor vehicles the park roads turn into a huge free for all
that makes it dangerous to ride on the roadways. Cars on the roadways also
have their own problems, but I can easily deal with those. Cars are quite
predictable.
-----------
Alex

Old July 30th 04, 06:58 PM
Glm

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:47:16 -0400, Alex Rodriguez
wrote:

This doesn't happen when the roadways are open to motor vehicles. This
is
one reason I oppose completely banning cars in central park. Once the
roads close to motor vehicles the park roads turn into a huge free for
all
that makes it dangerous to ride on the roadways. Cars on the roadways
also
have their own problems, but I can easily deal with those. Cars are
quite
predictable.
-----------
Alex

Agreed on all points.

Glm
Old July 30th 04, 08:11 PM
David Reuteler

Steve-o wrote:
On 30 Jul 2004 06:38:21 -0700, (Jeff) wrote:

I'm curious how many of you out there always obey red lights and stop
signs as if you were in a car?

If I come up to a stop sign and can see the
intersection is clear I run it.

I read the STOP sign as "Slow To Observe Police", much like I used to
in my car. Slow; if absolutely clear, then go.

heh, that's actually the law here in idaho. you do NOT have to stop for a
stop sign if there's no right of way to cede. gotta love it. i'm trying
hard not to get used to it.

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 7
PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES
49-720. STOPPING -- TURN AND STOP SIGNALS. (1) A person operating a
bicycle or human-powered vehicle approaching a stop sign shall slow down and,
if required for safety, stop before entering the intersection. After slowing
to a reasonable speed or stopping, the person shall yield the right-of-way to
any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another highway so closely
as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time the person is moving
across or within the intersection or junction of highways, except that a
person after slowing to a reasonable speed and yielding the right-of-way if
required, may cautiously make a turn or proceed through the intersection
without stopping.
(2) A person operating a bicycle or human-powered vehicle approaching a
steady red traffic-control signal shall stop before entering the intersection,
except that a person after slowing to a reasonable speed and yielding the
right-of-way if required, may cautiously make a right-hand turn without
stopping or may cautiously make a left-hand turn onto a one-way highway
without stopping.
(3) A person riding a bicycle shall comply with the provisions of section
49-643, Idaho Code.
(4) A signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given during not
less than the last one hundred (100) feet traveled by the bicycle before
turning, provided that a signal by hand and arm need not be given if the hand
is needed in the control or operation of the bicycle.
--
david reuteler

Old July 30th 04, 08:50 PM
Jym Dyer

=v= Some, maybe most, bicyclists break certain laws. Most
motorists break more and far more severe laws with far more
deadly consequences. Given that, he occasional "bicyclists
break laws" diatribes are way, way, way out of proportion.

=v= For details, consult the various *.driving FAQs and their
obsessions with getting away with exceeding the speed limit.
_Jym_