"Petrol price hits record high"

Old March 3rd 12, 06:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default "Petrol price hits record high"

Its time to leave that car at home, dust off that bicycle and pump up
its tyres and get pedalling. Or maybe a complete rejection of your car-
dependent lifestyle, with a home and work relocation, is called for?

"The average price of unleaded petrol has reached a new high of
137.44p per litre, according to industry analysts Experian Catalist.

That just exceeds the average of 137.43p reached in May 2011.

Petrol has been pushed up by oil prices, which have risen in recent
months due to tensions over Iran's nuclear plans and unrest in the
region.

The weak pound has also been making oil, which is bought in US
dollars, more expensive for British buyers..."

"...AA President Edmund King said: "This new record for petrol and
diesel just confirms what every family and business knows - fuel
prices are hurting them badly and there seems no stopping them..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17231140

-- .
World Carfree Network.
http://www.worldcarfree.net/
Help for your car-addicted friends in the U.K.
Old March 3rd 12, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr. Benn[_9_]

"Doug" wrote in message

Its time to leave that car at home, dust off that bicycle and pump up
its tyres and get pedalling. Or maybe a complete rejection of your car-
dependent lifestyle, with a home and work relocation, is called for?

"The average price of unleaded petrol has reached a new high of
137.44p per litre, according to industry analysts Experian Catalist.

The cost of petrol is insignificant. Cheap beer is more expensive. It'll
have to be much more expensive than that before I even think of ditching my
car.

Old March 3rd 12, 07:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Doug[_3_]

On Mar 3, 6:53*am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"Doug" *wrote in message

Its time to leave that car at home, dust off that bicycle and pump up
its tyres and get pedalling. Or maybe a complete rejection of your car-
dependent lifestyle, with a home and work relocation, is called for?

"The average price of unleaded petrol has reached a new high of
137.44p per litre, according to industry analysts Experian Catalist.

The cost of petrol is insignificant. *Cheap beer is more expensive. *It'll
have to be much more expensive than that before I even think of ditching my
car.

What about the other costs of running a car?

It is possible that the authorities will realise this oversight and
bring petrol pricing into line with other liquids. We can assume that
the price of petrol is being kept artificially low in order to promote
travel for the sake of the economy, a misguided policy at a time when
polluting travel needs to be reduced, for the sake of human health and
the environment. Also, if people give up their cars they will have
much more money to spend on other things.

-- .
Old March 3rd 12, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr. Benn[_9_]

"Doug" wrote in message

On Mar 3, 6:53 am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

Its time to leave that car at home, dust off that bicycle and pump up
its tyres and get pedalling. Or maybe a complete rejection of your car-
dependent lifestyle, with a home and work relocation, is called for?

"The average price of unleaded petrol has reached a new high of
137.44p per litre, according to industry analysts Experian Catalist.

The cost of petrol is insignificant. Cheap beer is more expensive. It'll
have to be much more expensive than that before I even think of ditching
my
car.

What about the other costs of running a car?

Insignificant compared to my overall costs of having a life.

Old March 3rd 12, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 3, 6:48*am, Doug wrote:
[...]

Who cares?
I cycle to work every day and I work for an oil company.
Win - win as the late Matt B used to say.
In my case, £1500 a year saved in petrol and £25000 SAYE plus £8000
annual bonus = £33000 this year alone.

Simon Mason

Old March 3rd 12, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Doug[_3_]

On Mar 3, 7:09*am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"Doug" *wrote in message

On Mar 3, 6:53 am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:

"Doug" *wrote in message

Its time to leave that car at home, dust off that bicycle and pump up
its tyres and get pedalling. Or maybe a complete rejection of your car-
dependent lifestyle, with a home and work relocation, is called for?

"The average price of unleaded petrol has reached a new high of
137.44p per litre, according to industry analysts Experian Catalist.

The cost of petrol is insignificant. *Cheap beer is more expensive. *It'll
have to be much more expensive than that before I even think of ditching
my
car.

What about the other costs of running a car?

Insignificant compared to my overall costs of having a life.

Does this mean that you are using a cheap old banger, bearing in mind
that their are frequent moans here and elsewhere about the high costs
of running a car, typically £5000 a year?

BTW, why have you deleted the rest of my text? Do you find it
difficult addressing the rest of the points I made?

Doug.

Old March 3rd 12, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 3, 7:22*am, Doug wrote:

Does this mean that you are using a cheap old banger, bearing in mind
that their are frequent moans here and elsewhere about the high costs
of running a car, typically £5000 a year?

BTW, why have you deleted the rest of my text? Do you find it
difficult addressing the rest of the points I made?

A typical troll tactic, Doug.
Killfile him like I have done.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 3rd 12, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr. Benn[_9_]

"Doug" wrote in message

On Mar 3, 7:09 am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:

The cost of petrol is insignificant. Cheap beer is more expensive.
It'll
have to be much more expensive than that before I even think of ditching
my
car.

What about the other costs of running a car?

Insignificant compared to my overall costs of having a life.

Does this mean that you are using a cheap old banger, bearing in mind
that their are frequent moans here and elsewhere about the high costs
of running a car, typically £5000 a year?

I drive a German car which I paid a lot for and the running costs don't
bother me at all. I only use my bicycle for fun and a bit of exercise when
the weather is nice. For serious things, I use the car regardless of the
cost of petrol.

Old March 3rd 12, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Simon Mason" wrote in message

On Mar 3, 7:22 am, Doug wrote:

Does this mean that you are using a cheap old banger, bearing in mind
that their are frequent moans here and elsewhere about the high costs
of running a car, typically £5000 a year?

BTW, why have you deleted the rest of my text? Do you find it
difficult addressing the rest of the points I made?

A typical troll tactic, Doug.
Killfile him like I have done.
=======================================

We know about your "killfile".

Old March 3rd 12, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mrcheerful[_3_]

"Doug" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 7:09 am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

On Mar 3, 6:53 am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

Half the cost of fuel is taxation.

Where do you think all the money will magically appear from? You know, the
vast amounts of tax that vehicle users pay in to the countries funds.
Where will all the extra unemployed get their dole from? You know, the many
millions that work in the transport industry.

It is the smokers and the car drivers that are propping up the economy, not
the cyclists.