Armadillo v Schwalbe marathon

Old April 16th 15, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Neil Smith[_2_]

Default Armadillo v Schwalbe marathon

Dear All,
For many years I thought my hobby was not cycling but puncture repair, until I discovered Specialized Armadillo tyres. The only drawback for them was there life was limited by the rubber outer that would perish and disintegrate. 12-18 months is the most you can expect from them.
I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were as puncture resistant and would perhaps wear better.
Thanks
Old April 16th 15, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 16/04/2015 16:46, Neil Smith wrote:
Dear All,
For many years I thought my hobby was not cycling but puncture repair, until I discovered Specialized Armadillo tyres. The only drawback for them was there life was limited by the rubber outer that would perish and disintegrate. 12-18 months is the most you can expect from them.
I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were as puncture resistant and would perhaps wear better.
Thanks

Cyclists would still have to carry a puncture repair kit - for their
inflatable girlfriends.

Old April 16th 15, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 5:54:40 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Cyclists would still have to carry a puncture repair kit - for their
inflatable girlfriends.

All female cyclists are lesbians?

Old April 16th 15, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

wrote:

Cyclists would still have to carry a puncture repair kit - for their
inflatable girlfriends.

All female cyclists are lesbians?

The two that I forced off the footpath on Sunday were.

Old April 17th 15, 04:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:46:29 -0700 (PDT)
Neil Smith wrote:

Dear All,
For many years I thought my hobby was not cycling but puncture
repair, until I discovered Specialized Armadillo tyres. The only
drawback for them was there life was limited by the rubber outer that
would perish and disintegrate. 12-18 months is the most you can
expect from them. I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were as
puncture resistant and would perhaps wear better. Thanks

I've heard that Armadillos suffer from premature ageing, but people
like them because they're responsive for a puncture resistant tyre.
Schwalbe Marathon Plus will resist land-mines and last until all the
rubber is worn off the tread. They do however weigh a ton, and they're
not exactly zippy.
You'll probably find regular Marathons will do the job, as long as you
can live with what is basically a touring tyre.
The Marathon Supreme looks like a sportier tyre, but doesn't come
narrower than 28C - anyone know what that's about?

Old April 17th 15, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 16/04/2015 18:14, Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 5:54:40 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Cyclists would still have to carry a puncture repair kit - for their
inflatable girlfriends.

All female cyclists are lesbians?

What a terrible thing to say. Please stop making homophobic remarks.

Old April 17th 15, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Neil Smith wrote:

Dear All,
For many years I thought my hobby was not cycling but puncture repair,
until I discovered Specialized Armadillo tyres. The only drawback for
them was there life was limited by the rubber outer that would perish
and disintegrate. 12-18 months is the most you can expect from them.
I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were as puncture resistant and
would perhaps wear better. Thanks

The Marathon in plus or not form seem to last for ever, or at least
10,000miles give or take.

if it's a road bike there is also durano plus.

other options if punctures are a issue the brave new world of tubeless
is reportly puncture if not free very much less. not without it's cost
and hassel though.

Roger Merriman
Old April 17th 15, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

Neil Smith wrote:

expect from them. I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were
as puncture resistant and would perhaps wear better. Thanks

I've heard that Armadillos suffer from premature ageing, but people
like them because they're responsive for a puncture resistant tyre.
Schwalbe Marathon Plus will resist land-mines and last until all
the rubber is worn off the tread. They do however weigh a ton, and
they're not exactly zippy.

I've punctured a marathon plus once. However, I'd also worn it down
until some of teh blue layer was showing and tread was a distant
memory.

My car tyres puncture more frequently than teh marathon plus on my
bike. I use them on my utility / commuting bike so that I just don't
need to worry about punctures. I used Conti Top Touring before teh
Marathon Plus was invented, but I've been using it exclusively since
it was invented. As noted, I've had one puncture in that time (which
is now getting on for 20 years of daily commute? - I can't remember
when they brought the tyre out)

I buy the tyres sufficiently rarely that I can't remember how often
that is - it's certainly a period measured in years between puchases -
maybe 3 yrs / 10,000 miles?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old April 19th 15, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 8:34:14 AM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

What a terrible thing to say. Please stop making homophobic remarks.

I thought all you kids used AQI.
Maybe they don't teach punctuation in ditch digging school.

Old April 19th 15, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
paul george

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 4:46:30 PM UTC+1, Neil Smith wrote:
Dear All,
For many years I thought my hobby was not cycling but puncture repair, until I discovered Specialized Armadillo tyres. The only drawback for them was there life was limited by the rubber outer that would perish and disintegrate. 12-18 months is the most you can expect from them.
I was wondering if Schwalbe marathon tyres were as puncture resistant and would perhaps wear better.
Thanks

Marathons are heavy, teflon coated with high rolling resistance.
Try Panaracer Pasela but avoid Panaracer RiBiMo.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Trevor A Panther UK 67 November 26th 09 11:52 AM
Schwalbe Marathon Just zis Guy, you know? UK 7 May 7th 08 06:47 PM
Schwalbe Marathon Plus - ouch dgk General 23 February 1st 08 01:58 PM
Schwalbe: Marathon+ or XR sothach UK 6 October 29th 05 07:15 PM
Schwalbe Marathon XR: Yay or Nay? Brian UK 8 November 22nd 04 08:05 PM