Options for wrist issues

Old June 14th 07, 01:06 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
John Knez

Default Options for wrist issues

DougC wrote:
I think having seen this that no bike with only ONE hand position is
going to be very comfortable over long rides (even though there's no
hand pressure as such) but with most types you can put MTB bar ends on
them somehow to provide some different hand/wrist positions.

This must be something that varies between people, as I've never had a
problem with there being only one hand position on either of my bents on
rides exceeding 100 miles. One difference may be that I frequently ride
with one hand on the handle bar. Also, on long rides, I'll stop and
stretch occasionally. I wonder if another factor might be that I use
grip shift twisters, which require a bit of wrist motion.

---
John Knez

Old June 16th 07, 03:09 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jack Pagel

Andrew Woodroffe wrote:
I am about to finally admit defeat over tendonitis issues with my wrists and
forearms and am looking into the alternatives to my standard cycle with
drops as I cannot take the body weight through my arms anymore. One option
would seem to be a 'bent as that would put the whole weight through the seat
similar to driving my car which I am ok with. I wondered if anyone had
switched before because of this reason and did it work out? I am also not
sure which steering option would be easier on my wrists and any advice on
that would also be gratefully received.

Thanks

Woody

One of the main reasons I switched to recumbents 8 years ago was because
of the numbness I always got in my neck, shoulders, and upper back. Plus
the numbness in my hands and arms. I do have tendonitis in my wrists,
mainly my left wrist. Riding the 'bents never gave me any problems in
them areas. If my wrists are sore and/or tired of ther same position, I
lay my arms over the handlebars. Letting my forearms rest on the
handlebars. I can straighten the kinks out in my arms, and still keep
full control of ther bike.
OSS Vision 40

Old June 17th 07, 10:19 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Andrew Woodroffe

Thanks all for the advice. I have booked a taster session to see exactly
how I get on ant what type suits best. I will report back

Old June 21st 07, 09:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

DougC wrote:
.....stuff....

At the moment this page has a couple pictures of my bikes, showing the
LWB handlebars with the bar-ends pointing inwards:

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim...ff/common.html

or alternately
http://tinyurl.com/2nkdlr
~

Another wrist slapping spindrift UK 73 June 16th 07 08:05 PM
Another wrist slapping spindrift UK 11 May 30th 07 10:41 AM
Another wrist slapping spindrift UK 2 May 23rd 07 03:38 PM
Wrist Guards TheObieOne3226 Unicycling 11 December 18th 04 10:06 AM
back issues of `Ride' - Issues 14 and 17 David Pascoe Australia 2 November 14th 03 11:31 AM