Police pick on cyclist

Old December 5th 08, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

Default Police pick on cyclist

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 01:44:44 -0800 (PST) someone who may be calum
wrote this:-

Even the offender accepted his ticket.

Don't let your imagination run away with you again with any nonsense
that he was threatened or pressurised to accept it.

Good to see that's the best counter "argument". However, after hours
in the cells many people give in, simply so their family and friends
are not too worried.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old December 5th 08, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 01:53:34 -0800 (PST) someone who may be calum
wrote this:-

We don't know that *any* pressure was put on him.

Incorrect. He was lifted and put in the cells.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old December 5th 08, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
calum

wrote this:-

Even the offender accepted his ticket.

Don't let your imagination run away with you again with any nonsense
that he was threatened or pressurised to accept it.

Good to see that's the best counter "argument". However, after hours
in the cells many people give in, simply so their family and friends
are not too worried.

Are you suggesting that he was kept in custody until such times as he
accepted a fixed penalty notice for riding without lights?

Calum
Old December 5th 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
calum

wrote this:-

We don't know that *any* pressure was put on him.

Incorrect. He was lifted and put in the cells.

What was he arrested for?

Calum
Old December 6th 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

On Dec 4, 12:13*pm, David Hansen
wrote:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:58:35 -0000 someone who may be "pk"
wrote this:-

It was the cyclist who was dim for choosing to get lippy.

No, the police officers were dim for continuing when it was
demonstrated that their assertions were incorrect. They should have
apologised and got on with their jobs, instead of persecuting
someone who (it appears from the report) hadn't committed a crime.

Does anyone remember Sniper???'s story of riding to get some DIY
materials and being stopped by a police officer? This may be a
similar situation or the rider may just have been obsterperous enough
to annoy the police officer.
Old December 7th 08, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 08:08:42 +0000, Phil W Lee
phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

snip

As has been pointed out: we don't know what pressure was put on him
to accept the FPN.

Well the length of time he was (unlawfully?) detained indicates the
level of duress that was required before he would "accept" it.

I might have guessed that Anchor would be along with some of his fine
legal advice.

Perhaps you could explain just why you think he was unlawfully
detained.

Here's a clue : he had already refused to give his name and address -
he had been arrested - does that feature in your thought process?

Is three hours excessive to wait to interview someone. Perhaps they
were checking his background - was the information asked for, which he
had eventually given them, being checked.

I'm sorry I have to draw your and other's attention to these points -
I don't want to imply that you have not had any legal training.

How's the top-up course going?

--
Commenting on a legal gate in a public park: I'd think it comes under
the heading of "causing an obstruction", and should be investigated by

Old December 7th 08, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On 7 Dec 2008 14:55:34 -0000, judith smith
wrote:

judith smith wrote:

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 16:42:21 +0000, David Hansen
Why did he not provide his name and address when asked for it - they
believed that he had committed an offence.
It sounds like it was his own fault that he got arrested.

/| /| _____________________
||__|| | |
/ O O\__ | PLEASE DO NOT |
/ \ | FEED THE TROLLS |
/ \ \|_____________________|
/ _ \ \ ||
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ C_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

Please stop forging my address.

--

Many of the facts below in an article seem, on the face of it, to
suggest that helmets are not worthwhile. This could not be further

Old December 7th 08, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 00:07:20 +0100, judith smith
wrote:

judith smith wrote:

snip
I think that your real concern is that he is making you look rather
silly with his sensible and cohesive argument.
(I am not suggesting that that is his objective)

/| /| _____________________
||__|| | |
/ O O\__ | PLEASE DO NOT |
/ \ | FEED THE TROLLS |
/ \ \|_____________________|
/ _ \ \ ||
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ C_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

--

Mr Chapman : please stop forging my email address.

If you own up to doing so now - and apologise - I will accept your
apology.

--

You may find, if you provoke me enough, that I will do something I
later regret. (Guy Chapman)
Old December 24th 08, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
John Wright

Doug wrote:
On 2 Dec, 14:11, Fod wrote:
On 2 Dec, 12:30, Roger Thorpe wrote:

Doug wrote:
On 2 Dec, 12:19, Roger Thorpe wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 2 Dec, 10:15, Roger Thorpe wrote:
Doug wrote:
The irony is that by not having lights he was putting himself far more
at risk of death from being hit by a driver than by being a danger to
anyone else, unlike say a car with no lights.
Well, Doug. Having very nearly ridden into an unlit cyclist a few times,
I'd think it fair to say that the risk to others, including pedestrians
is considerable.
Roger Thorpe
Well, Roger. Having been run down and injured by a driver who even
failed to see my lights the risk to me was considerable and to no one
else.
That makes it alright then.
As I said, the cyclist with no lights is more a danger to themself
than to anyone else, unlike a motorist with no lights who is a danger
to all, given the large mass and velocity difference.
I'm sorry what is your point? That because an unlit car is more
dangerous than a bike the unlit cyclist should be ignored?
Roger Thorpe

Doug justifies all dangerous behavior on bikes on the grounds that
cars are more dangerous.

Nope I am merely pointing out that motorists are raving hypocrites
when they have the gall to accuse cyclists of dangerous behaviour.
Its a bit like saying Hitler killed more people than car drives so
that excuses all car car drivers...

Well if you really want to get into your silly semantics again, it
wasn't Hitler it was his minions who did the killing. Oh yes and it
was us Brits who invented concentration camps. Over to you.

Note the failure to differentiate between concentration camps and
extermination camps.

--
John Wright

I used to drive a car a lot also. Duhg Bollen.

It didn't happen. The whole thing was fabricated in a movie studio by
Jewish film directors using realistic dummies to gain international
sympathy and thus grab and retain a chunk of Arab territory and
accumulate weapons of mass destruction with help from a complicit US.
Duhg Bollens view of the Holocaust.

Duhg Bollen promised a report on how Vince can reduce his carbon
emissions by moving in November 2007. We're still waiting.

Mystery Cyclist turns themselves over to Police... Gemma_k Australia 5 June 15th 06 11:56 AM
BBC - Cyclist Chased & Hit by Police car Adrian Boliston UK 39 September 20th 05 12:41 PM
Police officer injures cyclist David Hansen UK 5 June 4th 05 08:59 PM
Police kill cyclist MSeries UK 22 July 14th 04 01:27 PM
Chatting to a Police Cyclist Today [Not Responding] UK 14 June 19th 04 12:08 AM